Technical Newbie with a 500 lounge.

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie with a 500 lounge.

Fiat5002010

Hi there folks 😎
My name is Glen and I reside in Cambridgeshire 🇬🇧
Just bought myself a little doo-er-upper and thought I'd join as I'm having trouble getting to the top bolt.
I have just bought a 2010 (60 plate) 500 lounge. It's a massive 875cc 🙄 and I have what seems to be a lazy starter motor. Well I hope its lazy or I've been stitched up. So if anyone can shed any light on how I get to the little bugger, I'd really appreciate it 👍
Looking forward to getting some help and info on this little so-and-so 😀

It's at the rear of the engine. Hard to get to from above. On mine the screw heads were this new star design, but could be done with torx. I worked from underside on a vehicle lift when I had the clutch done.

Hi Glen,

On the 4cyl FIRE motors the aircon kit is in the way of things..

Twinair.. not so bad.. but Ive got them in roomier cars

Traditional FIAT is a couple of short bolts and a bigger one through the clutch bellhousing

Not sure Ive seen anyone have issues with their starter on here.

Have you upgraded..or doubled up the main earth cable..? that could effect the starters power delivery

I bought it as it is and not done anything to it. It turns over slowly even when trying to jump from a diesel. It is a twin air 86 start/stop.

You can test the earth connection with a jumper cable from battey minus directly to the engine. At the battery you must take the pole directly to avoid damage to the sensor.

Well, tried a secondhand starter motor today as the old one was kerrput (didn't spin). Checked and fitted, tried starting the car and it was still a lazy turn even though the battery was fully charged and is working OK.
Took engine cover off, looks like its cooked and corrosion on top of engine. Took out plus and water in the engine, not water and oil.
So my question is, what could have caused this? Could it be head gasket (but no oil in the water) or could it be something else?
Looks like I'm gonna be selling on for parts or repair :(
Thank you for your help folks 👍

Thanks for that.
Already tried that and nothing changed. That's where I saw the water in the bottom and over the bottom of the plugs 😒

tbh it owes me £700, so probably not worth me changing engine. Might break it but will probably try to pass it on and see if someone else wants to do it, or break it.
The engine turns one way by hand, but won't budge the other way.

Back