Technical *newbie* Steering locked while driving

Currently reading:
Technical *newbie* Steering locked while driving

Condolences.

2 buckled wheels & a cracked rack sounds like prior accident damage to me. That kind of stuff doesn't happen in normal usage.

3k is a lot for 2 wheels, a rack & a handbrake cable.

Yep - this does sound as though the car has been in an accident or suffered some form of serious abuse to sustain these problems. Good luck with the dealers.

Wow, that is a big blow!

Hopefully though you will get it sorted out fairly soon though, it sounds like a horrible experience.

I can't offer any technical help, but I do agree 100% with what jnoiles said in post 4. In my opinion you should get Fiat Customer Services involved to make sure that the official channels are pursued properly and that it is recorded centrally.

Am not saying your dealer won't do what they have said, but for something as serious as this I think you should explore every option possible.

I would be inclined to get FIAT to provide a written report of the damage found before any work is done, and consider obtaining legal advice in respect of seeking compensation/legal redress from the Toyota dealership.

Whilst an MOT is not considered a full 'healthcheck' of a car, if the MOT was done as part of the conditions of sale, there's clearly some liability with the dealership/trader who sold you the car.

Wheels could have been done with pot holes, but the rack does sounds unusual.

£3k sounds a lot (hell it is a lot), but suspect you've had new wheels priced up, that'll be about £300 a piece in themselves if alloys (n)

But still sounds like no more than £1500 for parts and labour, rack is probably only a few £££.

When i got the car exactly 1 year ago(from a Toyota dealer) it supposedly went through an "intensive safety check" and had an MOT in November last year.

In my opinion you should get Fiat Customer Services involved to make sure that the official channels are pursued properly and that it is recorded centrally.

If it is the result of an accident or serious misuse, then it's not really reasonable to expect FIAT to contribute.

The real fault is surely with the Toyota dealership, who should have picked all this up prior to selling the car.

However, after owning the car for a year, it could be hard to prove the fault existed when the OP first purchased it. If the MOT was done last November, it's far too long ago for VOSA to take any interest - indeed, it could even be used by the Toyota garage to imply the damage happened after the MOT.

I'm not suggesting the OP is responsible or in any way to blame; I'm just thinking it's going to be hard to get redress in the absence of a goodwill gesture from the Toyota dealership which sold the car.

If you can't get a contribution to the repair costs, there will likely be cheaper ways of getting it fixed than using a FIAT main dealer.

Last edited:
Back