500 Newbie says hello

Currently reading:
500 Newbie says hello

Ngtownsend

Hi all. Just got myself a 2010 500 1.2 auto. First fiat for me after years of driving volvos.

Jobs since getting the car:
DLR bulb replaced - that's a tricky job if you have adult sizes hands

Rear wiper replaced - now I can see out the back :)

Battery charged up - it's a stop/start model and when I first used it the engine stopped as expected but always fired up within (literally) 2 seconds. It's better now, but still tempermental especially from cold. Any tips great fully accepted.

Get used to the automated clutch - a long time driver of 'real' auto boxes should have gone for a model with hill assist :-/

Radio - terrible reception. I've done the usual 'check the aerials screwed in' and still no joy. Any hints as to where the problem might be?

But it's a fun drive. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
Hi all. Just got myself a 2010 500 1.2 auto. First fiat for me after years of driving volvos.

Jobs since getting the car:
DLR bulb replaced - that's a tricky job if you have adult sizes hands

Rear wiper replaced - now I can see out the back :)

Battery charged up - it's a stop/start model and when I first used it the engine stopped as expected but always fired up within (literally) 2 seconds. It's better now, but still tempermental especially from cold. Any tips great fully accepted.

Get used to the automated clutch - a long time driver of 'real' auto boxes should have gone for a model with hill assist :-/

Radio - terrible reception. I've done the usual 'check the aerials screwed in' and still no joy. Any hints as to where the problem might be?

But it's a fun drive. Long may it continue.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Those DRL's are a trick to replace eh? You'll find a lot of discussion here about Stop/Start. Your's sounds like mine, cutting back in after 2 (or even less) seconds. In my case it came down to the battery not holding sufficient charge for sufficient time. Constantly recharging is one route but a replacement battery is probably the long-term solution.

Dunno about the radio - too many variables. My reception is OK and that's with the 500C's windscreen-imbedded antenna.

But it will be fun...!

Your standards maybe too high or your antenna amplifier could be faulty. Replacement requires dropping the headlining at the rear.

Hi folks

I am also a newbie as the wife has just traded her EOS for a Fiat 500. I have been looking into replacing the DRL bulbs and have managed to get to them (lots of cuts to the hands) but they seem too large to get out.

I dont want to pull too hard as im concerned they will pop off and remain stuck inside the lens.

Any advice folks?

Many thanks

I am also new to the forum and my 2013 fiat 1.2 stop start. Had it a month now.

My stop start didnt work for about a week. Then I had a good few days of driving and it kicked in but only for seconds. After futher driving and turning off the day lights and also ensuring that I turn off the headlights at the end of a journey rather than have them come on when I turn the key.

After doing these things the stop start got progressively better. However there are some times when it dont play ball. Eg when car has lots of things on... radio.. phone charhing... heater etc.

S/S also seems to work much more effectively if has not been driven for a day or so.

No experience of how well it does on the winter.

All the best and enjoy

Last edited:
Hi folks

I am also a newbie as the wife has just traded her EOS for a Fiat 500. I have been looking into replacing the DRL bulbs and have managed to get to them (lots of cuts to the hands) but they seem too large to get out.

I dont want to pull too hard as im concerned they will pop off and remain stuck inside the lens.

Any advice folks?

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I bought replacement whiter globes for my DRL's some time ago but I too have given up trying to remove the bulbs through the little panel in the wheel arch. When time and weather come together I'm going to remove the front bumper for a couple of reasons and will take the opportunity to replace them then.

I am also new to the forum and my 2013 fiat 1.2 stop start. Had it a month now.

My stop start didnt work for about a week. Then I had a good few days of driving and it kicked in but only for seconds. After futher driving and turning off the day lights and also ensuring that I turn off the headlights at the end of a journey rather than have them come on when I turn the key.

After doing these things the stop start got progressively better. However there are some times when it dont play ball. Eg when car has lots of things on... radio.. phone charhing... heater etc.

S/S also seems to work much more effectively if has not been driven for a day or so.

No experience of how well it does on the winter.

All the best and enjoy

After nearly twelve months of frustration with the S/S on my new car I finally took it back to the dealer and got them to replace the battery (based on the information I found in the threads on the subject here). The S/S has worked faultlessly ever since and it doesn't matter if the DRL's, headlights etc are on or not. Radio and phone charging definitely should not make a difference, they just don't pull enough power.

I really doubt your contention that the S/S works more effectively if the car hasn't been used for a day or two - counter-intuitive.

If it doesn't come good before winter I suggest you get the battery tested to see if it's holding sufficient charge after switch-off. If it drops dramatically, as mine was doing, you'll get S/S restarting after a few seconds.

Back