500L Newbie needing info about semi-auto!

Currently reading:
500L Newbie needing info about semi-auto!

GerbilToes

Hi!

A few days ago I bought a 2017 500L mpw multijet lounge. Even though I’ve had more experience with manuals, the past 5 years or so I’ve been driving automatics. I must admit, the semi-auto takes some serious getting used to. I feel unsure about the operation and the car’s manual isn’t very enlightening.

Anyway, my previous car was a 2009 Audi A4 and the hand brake was a little button that you pulled up. I had a horrible incident yesterday with the fiat: I’d thought the handbrake was on, but it obviously wasn’t high enough and the car rolled downhill and into a bush!!! When I got it from the dealer I’m pretty sure they said to park in neutral. I’ve just parked it on the slope now and engaged 1st before turning the engine off. Does it work like that? Same as manuals? Just ANY advice would be much appreciated. I’m not confident that I’m doing things ‘right’.

Good to be part of the fiat community!

Elizabeth.

Hi Elizabeth
I have the Fiat fiorino van with semi auto gearbox you should always leave it in gear when parked up, also engage hand brake as well.
If my van is in neutral when I switch off the engine it will beep to warn me to engage drive or reverse gears.
Regards
Robert

On hills I always park in gear with the steering turned into the kerb and the hand brake of course. Belt braces and nails. :)

The old slush box autos when put into park would engage reverse and first gears so the transmission could never turn. The Duologic is a robotised manual with servos operating the clutch and gears.

Things do change but my mother was told to always put her 2007 Panda Duologic into neutral when parked. It was always slow to find 1st gear so we avoided using neutral when driving.

What does the car's user manual have to say about using the auto?.

Back