Ducato Newbie help, last ditch attempt before i scrap my fiat ducato 2.8d, 2002 reg.

Currently reading:
Ducato Newbie help, last ditch attempt before i scrap my fiat ducato 2.8d, 2002 reg.

andrewdix69

I have joined this site, in the hope that someone can help me as i have been passed from pillar to post and im at the end of my tether, ready to scrap my fiat ducato 2.8d, 2002reg van with only 60,000 on the clock!!!!!!
The keycode light has came on preventing me from starting my van, I was not given a red masterkey or a keycode(read bits of pieces about this). After phoning around so much i got in touch with my nearest fiat dealer, who advised that if i took it there they could sort it, paid £50 for a tow to the garage, only to be told they couldnt do it as they couldnt find where to plug it in?????!!!!!! so another £50 to get the van home and am back to square 1.......
SURELY someone out there must be able to help me do something, the vans just had a small fortune getting it through its mot
:bang::bang::confused::confused::cry:

I have joined this site, in the hope that someone can help me as i have been passed from pillar to post and im at the end of my tether, ready to scrap my fiat ducato 2.8d, 2002reg van with only 60,000 on the clock!!!!!!
The keycode light has came on preventing me from starting my van, I was not given a red masterkey or a keycode(read bits of pieces about this). After phoning around so much i got in touch with my nearest fiat dealer, who advised that if i took it there they could sort it, paid £50 for a tow to the garage, only to be told they couldnt do it as they couldnt find where to plug it in?????!!!!!! so another £50 to get the van home and am back to square 1.......
SURELY someone out there must be able to help me do something, the vans just had a small fortune getting it through its mot
:bang::bang::confused::confused::cry:

Hi, :)
OK = Basics

do you have 1 or 2 x keys?

does the immobiliser / key lock symbol stay on.. or not come on at all..??

where abouts in the UK are you..?? somebody may be near enough to offer a hand;)

Charlie - Oxford

Below the steering wheel at roughly the same height as the bonnet release handle there should be a plastic cover .
The plastic cover has a notch at the top , put a screwdriver in the notch and lever it open. The cover looks like it's about 2 inches by 5 inches.
Under the cover you should find diagnostic socket it may have another cover over it.
Do a Google search of obd socket ducato and choose the correct year.

Best thing to do with that generation immobiliser is remove it from the pump and run a switch live to the stop solenoid you can add a thatcham immobiliser later if you wish / need. Yours has an armoured plate on the end that makes it a bit of a pain but you can do it without removing the pump by cutting a slot in the shearbolts with a dremel and removing them. Yours might have a rollpin also that needs to be severed. If you're not up to it just find a local eastern european independant garage.

Below the steering wheel at roughly the same height as the bonnet release handle there should be a plastic cover .
The plastic cover has a notch at the top , put a screwdriver in the notch and lever it open. The cover looks like it's about 2 inches by 5 inches.
Under the cover you should find diagnostic socket it may have another cover over it.
Do a Google search of obd socket ducato and choose the correct year.

are you sure..??
it's a 2002 diesel.. probably NOT fully OBD2:)

I have 1 key, keylock symbol stays on, im from crook, county durham, any help appreciated!!!!

ok,
either disable the immob.. or get the key duplicated and reprogrammed,

disabling SHOULD be cheaper..

there SHOULD be old posts on here covering this mod - search in "advanced"

then if it runs reliably you can consider better security / durability of 2 coded keys,

Charlie

are you sure..??
it's a 2002 diesel.. probably NOT fully OBD2:)
it may not fully obd2 compliant but they were fitted with obd (not obd2) sockets.
When catalytic converters became compulsory in Europe
Almost every car had a diagnostic socket fitted from that time.

it may not fully obd2 compliant but they were fitted with obd (not obd2) sockets.
When catalytic converters became compulsory in Europe
Almost every car had a diagnostic socket fitted from that time.

EOBD wasn't required on diesel cars until 2004 and light commercials until 2007. His van is a 230 model even the 2.8JTD 230 didn't have an obd socket it had a three pin two wire kline by the air filter for the ecu and a seperate three pin, three wire for the abs nearby.

Theres probably a three pin k line connector somewhere between the yellow code unit on the steering column and the immobiliser on the pump but good luck finding a garage with an ancient fiat examiner and adapter to read it. The best thing to do is eviscerate it they were unreliable and the last thing you need on your holidays / at work is to break down in a van that even the Fiat dealers can't fix.

Last edited:
Yes totally, thank you for pointing that out the relevant dates for diesels .

I agree totally to hard wiring the stop solenoid as the simplest , easiest , cost effective solution.

Back