Technical newbie-crack in exhaust

Currently reading:
Technical newbie-crack in exhaust

tartangirl

Hi all, newbie to all this. Just looking for a bit of advice. We took our car to the garage this morning as it was making noise from the exhaust. Garage told us that there was a crack in the catalyic converter and that it would cost £1300 to replace as we would have to buy genuine parts. Is this right or are we being taken for a ride? It is a 1.4 & we bought it new 4 years ago. Thanks.

I guess it is out of warranty? If so then I would think you could get a non Fiat part for much less, try an internet search.

Failing that you could ask Fiat for at least a contribution to the repair as it shouldnt have cracked. Have you bashed the underside on anything?

Hiya yes its out of warranty. We were told by the garage it has to be Fiat parts. Have to replace the manifold, front pipe and catalytic converter because you have to buy the whole part. Arnold Clark have quoted us £900. Someone did say we might be able to weld it.

Well its definitely worth letting a non dealer garage have a look, if it can be welded that would be far cheaper. Whereabouts are you?

WHAT!? You do not need to buy a whole exhaust system!! That's ridiculous. You can buy a new Cat for £100 and get some random garage to weld it in place of the old one for an hours labour...

We are in Dundee, Scotland

SNAP. Don't bother with the crooks at the Fiat Arnold Clark, its the same dealership where they were arguing with a guy that had bought a car 3 weeks prior from them, asking him for £3000 to fix a repair that had been carried out by them 2 years prior by the previous owner.

I use Taylor RS Autos out by the NCR circle now, may be worth asking up there.

WHAT!? You do not need to buy a whole exhaust system!! That's ridiculous. You can buy a new Cat for £100 and get some random garage to weld it in place of the old one for an hours labour...

SNAP. Don't bother with the crooks at the Fiat Arnold Clark

Dealer can only quote the price supplied, I'm more than certain they dont expect anyone to actually pay that price.

hi u wont find much for the 1.4 90hp, as i was looking for an exhaust. i ended up going to TMS, be good if you can get to 1, i got my exhaust for 140 cat back, thats half of what i was getting quoted, so try them, it will be supplied by a firm in chiswick. failing that check out the stilo 1.4 16v engine parts, as im sure its the same engine. my exhaust was a stilo part.

@ Ahumbletramp was that SS or just steel? ive been quoted £250 for basically the same on the same car

Back