General Newbie... can't find info on 600D

Currently reading:
General Newbie... can't find info on 600D

I am working on a 600D for a friend here in Texas - need a transmission or advice on swapping a 600 transmission into it. Just joined and haven't found anything yet - good luck!

Why not try rebuilding the existing transmission if it's not too bad. Iirc, Midwest Bayless in the U.S.can still supply some parts.

Swapping a transmission is not difficult. Very similar to a 500.

Disconnect battery (which is under a cover in the front luggage compartment)
Lift up rear seat, remove cover to get access to remove starter motor. Raise and support car. Support engine under oil pan. Disconnect clutch cable at release arm, speedometer cable, gear linkage, driveshafts at outer ends (at flexible couplings), bellhousing bolts/nuts?, remove transmission complete with driveshafts. You don't even have to drain the oil unless you intend to remove the driveshafts.

Only point to watch out for iirc is not to allow the driveshafts to pull out of the differential (final drive unit). The inner end of each shaft (under the rubber boot) has a crosspin and 2 drive blocks which can fall off. I used to run a length of cable over the top of the transmission and attach it to both driveshafts with hose clamps. Don't attach to the driveshaft flanges at their outer ends as these are on splines and can slide.

Variations on doing this job are to remove the engine and transmission as a unit by disconnecting everything on the engine, unbolt rear panel and pull engine/trans eother on a trolley or engine crane (cherry picker?). Also some people choose to remove the driveshafts before removing the trans. (just 3 or 4 small nuts holding flange over rubber boot) and refit the shafts after refitting the transmission. If removing the driveshafts, drain the oil first. Doing it this way allows you to ensure the little square blocks are still in place on the driveshaft crosspins.

AL.

Last edited:
Several people on this forum have 600's or are familiar with them, just doesn't have it's own section for the 600 for some reason.

The 600 is very similar to the 500 to work on, both mechanically and electrically, with the exception that the engine is a water-cooled 4 cyl. so very similar to most cars (but especially the Fiat 850).

You can post questions here, or as some have done, post in the 500 Classic section.

AL.

Last edited:
Hi, I just joined the forum..I think there actually is a 600/600d section, though I don't know where.

I have a '66 600 from Argentina; while I have some excellent owner and shop manuals, I am looking for a wiring diagram(with appropriate colors) for this model made in Argentina. The color codes from Italy do not match.

Thanks, and please let me know if you've found a section or fellow 600 owners.

Hi 'dietz',

There is no Fiat model section for the 600/600D - if you want, you can ask one of the Mods/Super-Mods to create one.

The only section afaik that covers the 600 is in the 'Parts For Sale' in the ''Classified Section".

The wiring colours on all the Fiat models from the 1960's are the same - usually the wiring diagram in the factory manual/ owner's handbook is fairly accurate.

Maybe your colours are different because your car is an Argentinian-built model? Perhaps the wiring loom was locally produced using whichever colour cables that were available locally?

Maybe it's the same as the Spanish-built Seat 600? (idk if the wiring colours are different between Fiat and Seat versions of the 600).

Are you sure it's not due to fading of some colours over time?

Or maybe someone fitted an aftermarket produced wiring loom/harness or partially repaired the loom with whatever colour wiring they had available?

Which colours are different compared to the wiring diagram? All of them or just some?

(P.S. Colour U.K. = Color U.S.)

Al.

Last edited:
Back