some people like grandad says but em on front
while my mechanic says michelin recommends new tyres on back
i can see both sides

back may stop read coming loose
and vise verse michelin may want there tyres to look better

so what do you think?
oh base it on a fwd car

Re: tyres on front or back

I take that if you are caning the cars on bends, you don't want the back end to let slip - even in a FWD car - so the more grip back there, the better.

This has been discussed a few times on here, better go a-searching :D

Just for you daz a summary, New tyres on the front mean you car is more likely to swap ends during an extreme manuever (oversteer) in wet conditions, If you have them on the back then more predictable understeer would result in same move as the front would just plough on. In the dry the situations are reversed but it is not as pronounced.

Just for you daz a summary, New tyres on the front mean you car is more likely to swap ends during an extreme manuever (oversteer) in wet conditions, If you have them on the back then more predictable understeer would result in same move as the front would just plough on. In the dry the situations are reversed but it is not as pronounced.
totally right new tyres should always be fitted to the rear,i have been a tyre/exhaust fitter/mechanic for the last 20 years and i always put new tyres to the rear as understeer is easier to deal with than oversteer.....unless you have a rear wheel drive car then oversteer is fun:devil:

I always put NEW tyres on the rear.

Thank buggar for that. Had a MASSIVE arguement at college, me saying back and everyone say front (well driving wheels, which for most is front). Thanks for confirming I'm at college with a bunch of stupid retarded boy racers and that I am clinically sane (y) :D

The closest to my opinion is 'don't matter', since I endeavour to change all 4 at once. This sometimes involves swappng the fronts and rears for the last 3000 miles of their life to prevent the fronts from becoming too low.

I too swap my tyres from back to front so that the wear is relatively even. Therefore when I get new tyres it's new tyres all round for my car.

Forgot to say. Showed this thread at college and the argument and WW3 errupted again.

All the inbreed Norfolk people seem to think you put new tyres on the front and it won't make any difference when going around roundabouts and a ton ten like they all do around here.

Bunch of :nutter: :bang:

The advice these days is predominately in favour of new tyres on the rear. This is to avoid sudden breakaway and oversteer on a front wheel drive vehicle. As most drivers have not driven rear wheel drive cars or dealt with oversteer, understeer is preferred.
Personally, I hate understeer as it pushes my car forwards rather than in the direction of the corner, whilst oversteer takes my car the way I want it to go.
Actually, I swap the tyres, front to back and vice versa, as recommended in my Panda handbook so that all tyres are similarly worn and all 4 are replaced together.
Anyway, as I drive a Panda 4x4, what, exactly are its characteristics in a skid?

usually replace fronts on fwd cars and rears on my rwd cars ,due to the way of my driving and the way they wear down.(y)

usually replace fronts on fwd cars and rears on my rwd cars ,due to the way of my driving and the way they wear down.(y)
.....this is the one, simple as stated & when the driven tyres wear down a bit you change them with non drive tyres. very simple. all tyres should be good anyway(y) job done. & for all you smart arses out there permanent 4x4 tyres should all be changed when needed at the same time:D

Id put them on the rear mate....trust me you dont wanna be oversteering, especially in this weather! Manufacturers even make their cars to slightly understeer as its MORE controllable.

Tell you mates this....if you put the tyres on the rear you're more inclined to understeer yeh, but you have the braking and turning of the front wheels to control that. If you oversteer, what have you got really? I think you'd be silly to put them on the front in my opinion.

If you can only afford a pair atm, id push the boat out and go for all four's. Tyres arent something you should skimp on imo.

Back