Technical New to forum - handbook help & other things!!

Currently reading:
Technical New to forum - handbook help & other things!!

talkingwhippet

Hi,
I am new to Fiat Forum - bought a 1996 1.9TD S Ulysse with 76,000 miles yesterday for £1,000. All seems fine, although no handbook with car. Anyone got a handbook they could copy & send me or point me in direction of second-hand source?

Previously had a VW T25 camper & done loads of body-work & transplanted diesel engine from Golf so looking forward to a somewhat quieter life mechanically with the Citroen/Peugoet/Fiat lump! Also had numerous Xantias so used to XUD engine.

Am I right in thinking that if have large plastic round thing in middle of roof by mirror that this means remote locking is by infra-red key-fob? If so will any Xantia-based IR fob do as long as I re-programme it? Did this several times for Xantia. No fob came with car. If anyone has a spare fob I'd like to give it a go - I will pay your p&p costs - just let me know how much.

Also car starts without entering any code in key-pad so assume this is by-passed, but am I in for shock here?

Also, what oil do I need for gear-box as would like to change it just to be on safe side. Am planning to change all filters & replace water-pump. Will flush coolant & look at rad closely.

Any other tips or pointers much appreciated!

BTW - VWs have something called VAGCAT which is a parts diagram system that anyone can access online. Is there anything similar for Synergie/806/Ulysse? Any other good parts suppliers - have already got fliters etc. from GSF - wondered if anyone else I should know about.

Cheers all.

One of the best engines you can get! do you know the history of cam belt etc, if not change it along with water pump and tensioner and idler bearings, all quite simple. low mileage for year. I topped up with ordinary ep oil for gearbox, not sure if it was recomended but I sold mine on at 190K+ miles. now have 2003 JTD but prefer the simplicity of the older model.
T

Excellent! Cam-belt/idler/tensioner done few thousand before I bought it so happy with that. Will pop into Halfords & see what they recommend for g'box - just wanted to check it's not some special like our old Rover 220SD which needed one particular type of fully synth for g'box.

Have sourced replacement water pumps for around £20 locally - look like just changing the impeller bit & pump housing stays put on block. Is that right? Presumably I need to replace gasket between impeller (the bit I'm replacing) & the housing? Guessing can re-use old bolts - or are they stretch items that must be renewed?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the link.
Had seen these earlier but all seem to relate to JTD versions which are significantly different to Mk.1 TD - would appreciate a quick gander at the appopriate handbook if anybody out there has one.

What I have just found on my book-shelf which I had forgotten was there is this:
Haynes manual "Peugoet Diesel Engine 1982-1996" which includes the 1.9 XUDTE and is very helpful. Haynes reference 0950 if anybody else wants to get one. Covers engine repair procedures, cooling system, fuel & exhaust systems & engine electrical systems. So have now answered my own questions about water-pump!

Cheers

Hi there...anyway i can get my hands on this 'Haynes manual'? By the way, I own a fiat ulysse 2001 Auto..

The round plastic thingy on the roof is for infrared central locking, but not all models have it fitted. To check, you need to remove the cover to see if there is anything behind it. You do this by carefully prising the interior light cover off, behind which you will find a couple of torx screws which hold the whole assembly together.
If you are familiar with the Xantia, it will all be very familiar to you.

Back