Technical New timing belt, engine doesn't start.

Currently reading:
Technical New timing belt, engine doesn't start.

I was just thinking about this thread and it occurs to me that there's a lesson to be learned here. The original poster, Iowaa, has had a very lucky escape here all due to the fact that these earlier versions of the FIRE engine are non interference. From the posts made and photos posted, I'm guessing he/she is a person of reasonable mechanical ability and has access to a good selection of tools otherwise they wouldn't have managed to do any of this - That engine mount isn't the easiest to strip out is it? However, if you're going to do a timing belt, the absolute minimum info you need to be sure of is that you know exactly what the timing procedure for your engine is and how to apply it. In this instance not only was Iowaa unsure about the correct timing marks but also he/she spun the engine over on the starter with the engine incorrectly timed. Had this been an interference type engine he/she would now be looking at either a big bill to sort out the mayhem or maybe even looking for a replacement engine.

I have a lot of sympathy for you Iowaa, I've done some pretty silly things when working on vehicles when I was younger. Paying "professionals" to sort your car is a good way to relieve your bank account of quite large quantities of cash, but can be a cheaper/safer option if you're unsure about what you're doing. So, it's not my intention to put anyone off working on their car, just be very sure of what you're getting into before you start and avail yourself of the relevant info before picking up a tool. As you've seen here there is a great wealth of knowledge in the forum so just ask us all to help if you're unsure.

Lastly, Iowaa, you say you've got it running and it "sounds and runs "better". Do you think it's running at least as well as it previously did or are there still problems? All best wishes to you. Jock

Agreed, I am very lucky it is a non interference engine. I know hardly anything about cars, but my fiat punto is the first car I've ever worked on mechanically and so far I've done quite well until the timing belt situation and yes I have a good selection of tools :) From these experiences, I feel comfortable servicing my other car (except from the timing belt, not touching that again, especially on an interference engine).

I agree I should of looked more in depth of how to change a timing belt, but through the forums, it seemed there was no way I could of messed up, unfortunately I was wrong. I have learnt from this and know in future how to properly change a timing belt now and which steps to take, however, I think I'll be avoiding it for the rest of my life and going to a mechanic instead.

I like to experiment in stuff myself and learn from my mistakes and accomplishments to better my ability in being able to do it without paying anyone else. Also it's a break from my work life. I still believe this was easier than the temperature housing unit 👀 that was a mf. But if this was a 16v engine, I'd be thinking differently lol.

I agree this forum is very knowledgeable and I've come quite far from where I was a year or two ago, so I thank everyone again for assisting me in every question I've had.

By running and sounding better, I had at times notice the car struggling to start, struggling more than it should have. Alongside, the RPM fluctuated quite weirdly at idle and this is no longer an issue and in general the car feels more responsive to gears and actually feels like it's taking off when it should be, in comparison to how it was before.

I've been looking after the car quite well and adding my own modifications to it, for me to officially post my car on this forum :)) however, this will be fully complete by summer. Once done, I'll most likely sell her, however, I don't believe people will buy the car when they see what's been done to it lol. (nothing weird or stupid, just seems like something a younger person would like to drive).

Good morning Iowaaa. Considering you say you "know hardly anything about cars" I think you are to be congratulated for sorting this out successfully. Back when I was young and even when I started college learning my trade I made some knee trembling mistakes on old vehicles I owned, but it's often only by making these mistakes, and possibly breaking things, that you learn. And when you break something which costs you then you never forget. I became a well known face around our local vehicle breakers!

Of course if you get it right, then, apart from the satisfaction of doing it yourself, you'll also be saving shed loads of cash! Once a year we have a big reunion with the friends we made when we lived down south. Usually we all have a long weekend away in a hotel somewhere down in the west country and get all nostalgic. Last time we did this we ended up discussing how much it costs to employ a tradesman to repair Plumbing/Heating/Electrical/Motor Vehicles/Etc. I've always been enthusiastically into DIY - except decorating which I hate, but reluctantly undertake. None of these friends are very manually practical people and, by default, call in trades people to sort these sort of things out. When they started talking about the amounts of money they have spent over the years I was absolutely gobsmacked! I'll never moan at Mrs J again when she pushes me into decorating the living room or shampooing the hall carpet.

So I'd just like to say well done on your successful outcome and encourage you to keep on getting your hands dirty! Also don't hesitate to get on here for our help if you feel you need it, even if it's only to commiserate with us over something which went wrong - We've all done it!
All king regards
Jock

PS. Buy a Haynes manual maybe?

Last edited:
Good morning Iowaaa. Considering you say you "know hardly anything about cars" I think you are to be congratulated for sorting this out successfully. Back when I was young and even when I started college learning my trade I made some knee trembling mistakes on old vehicles I owned, but it's often only by making these mistakes, and possibly breaking things, that you learn. And when you break something which costs you then you never forget. I became a well known face around our local vehicle breakers!

Of course if you get it right, then, apart from the satisfaction of doing it yourself, you'll also be saving shed loads of cash! Once a year we have a big reunion with the friends we made when we lived down south. Usually we all have a long weekend away in a hotel somewhere down in the west country and get all nostalgic. Last time we did this we ended up discussing how much it costs to employ a tradesman to repair Plumbing/Heating/Electrical/Motor Vehicles/Etc. I've always been enthusiastically into DIY - except decorating which I hate, but reluctantly undertake. None of these friends are very manually practical people and, by default, call in trades people to sort these sort of things out. When they started talking about the amounts of money they have spent over the years I was absolutely gobsmacked! I'll never moan at Mrs J again when she pushes me into decorating the living room or shampooing the hall carpet.

So I'd just like to say well done on your successful outcome and encourage you to keep on getting your hands dirty! Also don't hesitate to get on here for our help if you feel you need it, even if it's only to commiserate with us over something which went wrong - We've all done it!
All king regards
Jock

PS. Buy a Haynes manual maybe?
Good afternoon Jock,

Exactly, until we actually break and it costs us we learn, and that's why when we successfully complete a challenge without breaking anything it feels more successful.

Yep exactly, I'm soon to buy my first house, and I plan on repairing / decorating myself. Fingers cross the house doesn't come down haha.

Yep that's exactly what I did the second day of the timing belt issue :ROFLMAO: I went into halfords to look for some sort of tools for the timing belt situation and came across the only one Haynes manual book, just my luck ay ;)

Thank you :)

Back