General new panda owner questions

Currently reading:
General new panda owner questions

Steve said:
Question 6, someone mentioned heater matrix. Curious to know why, did you mention a leak somewhere Gaz? They mostly blow hot air even on the cold setting and it warms up quickly. You'll appreciate that in the winter.

i did have a leak but that was coming from expansion cap, it wasnt on tight, it a strange one cause you over tighten it and it goes loose - never had that with any of my other cars :eek:

it has been parked overnight and there are no signs of leaks and the path it was taking from coolant tank to the floor has dried

i had a nightmare starting it this morning, i not used to manual choke :eek: - i think i figured it out now :D

That's good Gaz, there is no sign here that you need a heater matrix. The thread is damaged on the cap, buy a replacement from Fiat.

A manual choke won't take long to get used to. Don't pull it out all the way. Pull it out about half way and start the car while pressing the accelerator slightly. When it's started pull the choke out as much as needed to keep it idling. Practise makes perfect. :)

thanks steve :)

the panda runs really quiet, so i finding it hard to tell if engine started or not :eek: - it also growls, scrapes and sqeels if i over cook it with the key

my dad is trying to teach me how to use it but it usually ends up in an arguement :p

Steve said:
A manual choke won't take long to get used to. Don't pull it out all the way. Pull it out about half way and start the car while pressing the accelerator slightly. When it's started pull the choke out as much as needed to keep it idling. Practise makes perfect. :)

Cor, I've had some fun with mine (not)! Strangely, I find summer is worse than winter - my car hates re-starting when warm.

Russ

Never normally had a problem starting any of my carb equipped FIRE engines. When it is cold, I pull the choke all the way out, turn the ignition without touching the accelerator, then as soon as it starts to fire I lightly touch the accelerator. When it is warm outside it will often start quite happily with no choke at all, with just a dab on the accelerator pedal.

Once it has started push the choke in half way, there should be a little 'notch' you can feel when you reach the half way point. Run it like that for about 1/2 mile to 1 mile and then release it fully at the point where the engine will idle happily without choke.

Don't forget that the Weber 32 TLF has an accelerator pump, so DON'T go pumping the throttle while trying to start it as you will flood the engine. In fact, give it one pump before turning the ignition and it should start without the throttle being pushed.

You'll get the hang of it sooner or later (y)

I started it first time this morning, I went to put in a new air freshner and ended up taking it round the block :eek:

I let it get warm before I moved off the drive, I wasnt in a rush and didnt want it cutting out on me

i started it with the accelerator, so i think your way - i had to keep it going with the revs until i pulled out choke a little more

i will try other method when i wake up, i read his message after i went for a spin

I'm getting good at this manual choke now :D , but I seem to get a squeel when it first starts, sounds like one of the belts and I get a grating/grinding noise from gearbox for the first 5 mins or so. The noise goes when I push clutch pedal in.

Any ideas?

Where are the tow hooks on the panda?, the green haynes manual doesnt point them out and from looking I cannot find them. At the rear I see a place where the towbar could be fitted and at the front centre there is like 2 U hooks, I assume that is them as I cannot figure out what else they could be used

Thanks

Thanks, the clutch and gearbox oil was replaced in april this year , the haynes manual should tell me how to check wouldnt it?

The alternator belt looks new, I think the last owner replaced it when he did the cambelt, maybe it needs tigthening or something.

Thanks for the guide Alan, but I am hoping I will never have to touch the heater matrix :D , I have the sunroofs for cold air

gaz_wrexham said:
I'm getting good at this manual choke now :D , but I seem to get a squeel when it first starts, sounds like one of the belts and I get a grating/grinding noise from gearbox for the first 5 mins or so. The noise goes when I push clutch pedal in.

Squeal could also be a cambelt tensioner bearing on the way out. Mine made a bad noise on start up and then seemed to go away once the engine was running. Cheap and simple to change (you only need the bearing). But as also has been said, could be the alternator belt as well.

Grating/ grinding from the gearbox could be the thrust bearing as Alan D. mentioned. It could also be a worn bearing on the gearbox input shaft making a noise until the oil has circulated and warmed up.

Maybe try adjusting the clutch to sort out the dodgy gearchange? I wonder if the Panda 4x4 uses a simliar box to my Uno, as they weren't exactly the smoothest for changing gear. Ironically, my first Uno had a four speed box and that was a lot better than the five speed. I swapped gearboxes in my 45S 5 speed when I changed the clutch and the gearchange was still the same with the 'new' box!

1986Uno45S said:
Squeal could also be a cambelt tensioner bearing on the way out. Mine made a bad noise on start up and then seemed to go away once the engine was running. Cheap and simple to change (you only need the bearing). But as also has been said, could be the alternator belt as well.

Grating/ grinding from the gearbox could be the thrust bearing as Alan D. mentioned. It could also be a worn bearing on the gearbox input shaft making a noise until the oil has circulated and warmed up.

Maybe try adjusting the clutch to sort out the dodgy gearchange? I wonder if the Panda 4x4 uses a simliar box to my Uno, as they weren't exactly the smoothest for changing gear. Ironically, my first Uno had a four speed box and that was a lot better than the five speed. I swapped gearboxes in my 45S 5 speed when I changed the clutch and the gearchange was still the same with the 'new' box!

Thanks for the post, i noticed the squeel only seems to happen on cold starts I have been listening out for it

I think I am getting used to the gear change, I think I am expecting it to be as smooth as the punto :eek:

I had a whoopsie moment with the choke yesterday, I left it out and pulled out at a junction and it died, my face was red and my pants where......

Driving it is really putting a smile on my face though and £25 to fill the tank is a bargain, I wonder if it will get me to gaydon and back (250 miles)

I just need to sort the aerial, boot lock and rust then I'm done for the winter

this bit broke! no bolt hole so no bolt, any fire one fit??

Attachments

• gaz broke bit.JPG
    gaz broke bit.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
Back