500 New Owner

Currently reading:
500 New Owner

FindAName

Hi all

figured I would drop a quick line to say Hi and introduce myself.

Just bought a 2010 500 1.2 which is currently a non runner for my daughters first car. We got it from a family member so am assured it was running ok before it went off road but if I am honest it was a little bit neglected butt @ £600 it was worth a punt!

My Daughter has an Interest in engineering so figured it would be a good project to teach her a few things and have some good old bonding time :unsure:. She even took notes when we did the timing belt and water pump :geek:

May well come knocking when/if we hit any walls (hopefully not)

Mike

Welcome Mike! .
Nice to "bond" over a project!.
We are here if you need us! the 500 forum has a lot of traffic so someones sure to have an idea on any issues.
If you have done the water pump and cam belt then your half- way there id say but i would pop the pipes of the thermostat and check an see if the original "PLASTIC" pipe to the heater matrix is still there ! if so change the stat for an aftermarket one with the "METAL" pipe to future proof it!as they always break eventually! whilst you have it apart do the earth strap as well so you dont have to go back in later!
good luck!
Steve

Welcome Mike! .
Nice to "bond" over a project!.
We are here if you need us! the 500 forum has a lot of traffic so someones sure to have an idea on any issues.
If you have done the water pump and cam belt then your half- way there id say but i would pop the pipes of the thermostat and check an see if the original "PLASTIC" pipe to the heater matrix is still there ! if so change the stat for an aftermarket one with the "METAL" pipe to future proof it!as they always break eventually! whilst you have it apart do the earth strap as well so you dont have to go back in later!
good luck!
Steve
Hi Steve

Thanks for the pointers;

Earth strap ordered £5 of ebay (y)

Haven't had a chance to look at the thermostat pipe connector yet; I presume a metal one would look like this:

Housing

Any other common failure points i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Yep good thermostat!
Keep a good stock of bulbs for the DRL lamps they seem to blow often!
sumps and rear beam & springs prone to rust! exhausts often fail at the flex joint also the front exhaust clamp often goes as well!
Hatch wiring goes all to often causing many electrical gremlins!
various leeks into interior causing wet carpets!.
ALL these subjects and more cover in depth here on the forums !
you could also google "FIAT 5000 common faults"
There is no doubt that these are somewhat flawed little cars ! BUT that dont stop us loving em!
welcome to the "mad house!"

I will add
Radiator
Heater matrix
All of the front suspension
Rear shocks
Clutch hydraulics
It's probably already had a new thermostat
Cam belt? When last replaced-leave to a professional to change.
Make sure enough screen wash concentrate in fluid to prevent wet carpets
Metal coolant pipe running behind exhaust manifold rusts through.
Critical to maintain correct coolant level

The best mind-set for running any Fiat (and 500.s in particular!)🤨 is if its running well with no issues then be happy😃 but DONT relax! 😟the next little teaser is just around the corner , just like a bus you know its coming just not entirely sure when its going to arrive🤔! but it will get there eventually!.😏
As long as your prepared alls well!🤪

sorry for the delay replying to you all but life has been hectic.

Long list of things to keep an eye on o_O but the daughter has AA cover via my banking so worse case she can get recovered 😌.

Almost finished the jobs on the car next job is front disks and pads with a flush of the break fluid to do. Looked at the rears but the shoes look like they have a bit of meat left on them.

Interior was stripped out seats and carpet deep cleaned and are now back in. 14 years of grot removed; wasn't the nicest of jobs but I found 26 pence so that should cover my labour cost!

Thanks again for the advice

Mike

sorry for the delay replying to you all but life has been hectic.

Interior was stripped out seats and carpet deep cleaned and are now back in. 14 years of grot removed; wasn't the nicest of jobs but I found 26 pence so that should cover my labour cost!

Thanks again for the advice

Mike
Well done Mike, 👍

I couldn't see how to onbolt the rear seat base in my 2018.. 🤔

The best mind-set for running any Fiat (and 500.s in particular!)🤨 is if its running well with no issues then be happy😃 but DONT relax! 😟the next little teaser is just around the corner , just like a bus you know its coming just not entirely sure when its going to arrive🤔! but it will get there eventually!.😏
As long as your prepared alls well!🤪
For my cinquecento everyone said buy a clutch cable they snap..... have a spare one in the boot in it's bag this last 7 years 🙄 the old saying if you have it you'll never need it 😁👍🇮🇪

Back