Bravo New owner - anything I need to know?

Currently reading:
Bravo New owner - anything I need to know?

BaileyXLM

Hey guys, I'm soon to be the proud new owner of a 2008 plate Bravo dynamic 8v 1.9 mjet 120. Coming from a 1998 1.1 Rover 200 Im hoping it'll make a better motorway cruiser.

It's at 53000 at the minute, a bit higher than i wanted but seeing as though its a diesel im not too fussed. However I don't think it's had it's timing belt replaced yet, is this ok? Reading from all the horror stories about belt snappings I'd rather not take the risk :( I am but a poor student and couldnt afford a new engine.

It does have full service history but my first plan of action is to clean the egr valve, just so I know where I am with servicing.

So yeah, that's me and my car. Is there anything else that I need to know about?

:D

its not so much the belt that causes it, the water pump has a tendency to fail causing the belt to snap, if your getting the belt done, get the pump done at the same time, think guys have been changing the belts at about 50k as fiat recommend 72k

I had my cambelt and water pump changed at 40,000 miles, on the basis that even though I got my 57 plate car inJune 2008 with only 15 miles on it, it was built about 31 July 2007 and so was 5 years old.

On my car there is a paper sticker on the bulkhead, behing the brake master cylinder. The top line gives you the build date.

Change it soon to be on the safe side as mentioned above :)

Im not 100% sure about the Deisel fiat engines, but Im pretty sure the petrols are non-interferance engines, so if the belt snaps, the valves arnt forced againsnt the pistons as there is a small gap when the valves are open and the piston is at its highest point... Dont quote me though, thats only pub talk :p

But to be on the safe side, get belts changed around every 50k and you shouldnt have a problem :)

Tom

I just had my first belt change with pump and full service done, also got the EGR cleaned (always at service)

Not to make you guys jealous or anything, but it cost me only £250 for the belts, pump, all filter and fluids + labor. I live in a cheap country :)

The bravo feels a lot quicker and more responsive now.

Cheers guys in that case ill get it done ASAP. Does anyone have a rough estimate £ for cambelt change + waterpump on an 8v?
£420 for service, belt and pump on my 16v 120 MJ - did it at 30k miles/4 years.

Dunno about a 120 8v, I got my 150 MJET done at a very good independent Alfa garage using Fiat/Alfa parts and came to £330 about 6 months ago.

Back