Currently reading:

IanPanda

HI everyone new to the forum and need advice plz
my fiat panda 2012 3rd Gen has an issue with brittle plastic hoses that feed rear screen washer and leaks near to front water reservoir, which i have temporarily repaired. Has anyone else had issues and did you use rubber hose as a replacement ?

I think you are unlucky as this sort of hose is usually long lasting. I wouldn't use rubber as that is likely shorter lived, but I would get a roll of pipe and repipe the washers if required. Im not sure its practical to pull the old stuff out, and I would probably just re pipe finding the best route for the pipe that I could. You maybe be lucky and be able to tape new to old and pull the new pipe through at least some of the way with the old. Try a pipe join and some new pipe at the problem point as it may have been heat or having been contaminated with chenical at some point that started this. Take great care removing fron the electric pump that you dont damage the pump. Use a hair dryer to heat it and then a very sharp knife to cut the end open. Good luck with this.

I think you are unlucky as this sort of hose is usually long lasting. I wouldn't use rubber as that is likely shorter lived, but I would get a roll of pipe and repipe the washers if required. Im not sure its practical to pull the old stuff out, and I would probably just re pipe finding the best route for the pipe that I could. You maybe be lucky and be able to tape new to old and pull the new pipe through at least some of the way with the old. Try a pipe join and some new pipe at the problem point as it may have been heat or having been contaminated with chenical at some point that started this. Take great care removing fron the electric pump that you dont damage the pump. Use a hair dryer to heat it and then a very sharp knife to cut the end open. Good luck with this.

Thanks for the advice i was thinking on putting a joint at point of breakage which is about 450mm above pump behind bumper. As it appears to be one long piece of pipe to rear of car and a potch to change whole thing.

Might be a good idea to source a section of rubber pipe with the same internal diameter as the outside diameter of your plastic pipe ! slide this onto one side of the pipe you are going to repair! the join the two halves together with your joining piece! once done slide the rubber pipe over the join, and tape both ends up( insulating tape is good for this!) this will support the repair and help prevent further leakage from the joint.
You may still have to replace the whole length of pipe at some point in the future but this could hold out for some time!.

Back