Technical New engine in a punto cabrio

Currently reading:
Technical New engine in a punto cabrio

lizardlace selling her engine that a good one iirc http://www.puntoparts.webs.com/

but most of the 1.6 are now all naffed out dog engines, so the new figures mean nothing, you can get all the ecu loom and gearbox from a mk1 1.2 16 v then a 1.4 16v out of like a stilo and it will all go in easy would be an excelent Cabrio then. if you want to go turbe get a t-jet gp engine. dont get a gt they all naffed out now too.

right i off to ban beau for talking bolloks

Red Devil, Cheers for sticking up for me. I perfectly know the 1.2 16v is alot better why would they replace the 1.6 after a couple of years to the16v that is still in the punto's now. Think Uno Turbo guy needs to wake up. look at the reviews between the 1.6 and the 1.2.... 1.2 kicks its arse.

I know Rickypunto i go to him all the time for parts he will tell you. He said that the 1.6 is an old dog engine. he should know he deals with punto day in and day out.

the 1.2 16v is the better engine.

but the 1.6 is better to drive because of the more power, there is actually decent power below 4000 revs, on the 1.2 there isnt, therefore its a nicer more relaxed drive, power wise will always have that edge over the 1.2.

the 1.2 is just too slow, its very quick for a 1.2 but not in the 1.6 league.

the 1.2 16v is the better engine.

but the 1.6 is better to drive because of the more power, there is actually decent power below 4000 revs, on the 1.2 there isnt, therefore its a nicer more relaxed drive, power wise will always have that edge over the 1.2.

the 1.2 is just too slow, its very quick for a 1.2 but not in the 1.6 league.

but most people that come onto here to ask how to get more power out of there engine, not how relaxing there car is to drive...:)

I just laugh that you really think the 1.6 is a quicker car. Take a look at the facts. the Sporting engine has more Torque quicker 0-60

Sporting 16V 3d10.2 s110 mph86 bhp
Torque113 Nm

Sporting 3d10.5 s111 mph90 bhp
Torque- 93 lb-ft

Ive had a race again my mates 1.6 16v SXI Astra and done him so a old dog 8v has no chance in hell!

they dont do stupid facts 20mph - 100mph. only 0-60 and that says it old.
Go get a 8v and i will race it and beat it.

I didnt even know that the 8v dog could reach 100mph without the rac right behind them.

they do 30-70, and 1.6 was 7 seconds or so ahead.

not gonna arugue any more lol iv quite simply said, the 1.2 is the better engine.

but the 1.6 is more powerful, therefore a smoother, better drive.

end of.

and dont go racing a 1.6 cos it will just leave you.

Last edited:
The astra and the nova i meant lol they never even had rev limiters. As for the punto its my missis car but i think theyre great little runabouts. just all this talk about hp etc seems pointless. It reminds me of the arguments on hp gains on a certain jap car i used to own. They used to argue to the point of organising a meet to beat each other up, that theyre induction kit gave them 25bhp etc. lesson is dont worry about it, speed etc tends to depend on how well you maintain your car most of the time .. i would agree tho 1.2 16v is the better package. but i cant agree thats its faster etc thats just mad at the end of the day its smaller and even tho marginal it is less hp put those together and it doesn't usually mean faster, about the same though overall. I wasn't interested in that i just wanted to know if it was a straight easyish swap?
about the convertible question, i dont fit them myself but i can ask about the frame removal but usually the frame stays on the car during fitting on these.. but its bound to be possible
Lytescary thanks for the link(y)

wasnt over horse power mate, it was the fact the 1.2 isnt much slower, not as grate as 20s (y)

smaller lighter, much better engine

anyhow i would emagine the mounts are totally different, size isnt everything;)

Back