Tuning New boots on the Classic 100HP Panda

Currently reading:
Tuning New boots on the Classic 100HP Panda

Just fitted some Yokohama A048 175/50 r13s on Uno Turbo rims courtesy of Jangcy. Wanted these rather tiny profile ones to lower the gearing to something more appropriate for circuit use. Also lowers the car which has got to help. Cost a fortune, but they give grip beyong my expectations in my first outing a minute ago. Went round a roundabout 5 times, it was so much fun. (y) Greenstuff pads also fitted on new EBC discs, to hopefully avoid fade.

Off to Llandow circuit, just west of Cardiff tomorrow. Roped P. Maximus into coming. He will be acting as co-driver and official photographer, so this thread will have a few photos of the trackday antics tomorrow night. If anyone else hasn't got anything better to do and you're into seeing a Panda go quick, then pop along. No tickets or anything required and you can have a ride if you can borrow a helmet. Will be there from 9am.

Attachments

• new_boots (1).JPG
    new_boots (1).JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 57
  • new_boots (2).JPG
    new_boots (2).JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 39
  • new_boots (3).JPG
    new_boots (3).JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 52
Does it torque steer very noticeably?
Torque steer is not a problem. With the sticky tyres on it wants to follow the grooves in the road a bit more than normal, but can be driven with one finger, even under full acceleration. I was worried about torque steer, after suffering a little with a decent 999cc, but the problem has never materialised with new road and these track boots.

Managed to get some footage by strapping my compact camera with gaffer tape to the grille, just below the bonnet line! Only got one photo for you at the moment, since my camera ran out of batteries after the filming. There will be some pro shots coming later from Total Kit Car staff though. The blue car in the footage is demonstrating to everyone how not to drive a trackday as he won't pull over for me or anyone, but particularly me! I have edited the first 10 minutes of me sitting on his bumper. The footage starts after I have backed off half a lap to give myself some room.

Attachments

• llandow.JPG
    llandow.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
some distinctly non traditional panda footage there, makes a great noise too from the sound of it when you're pressing on a bit. Loving it(y). Still smiling?
Andrew.

Just fitted some Yokohama A048 175/50 r13s on Uno Turbo rims courtesy of Jangcy.

Wow - Nice to see alloys on Blue Panda (again) - I hope they're all right...never done so strong test like you did...

Great movie!!(y):worship:

That engine sounds nice. Pity you kept getting slowed down in the corners. Seems there were some timid drivers there that day.
I was faster in a lap than some, but ultimately had the lowest power to weight there, which makes it impossible to overtake, since it is by invitation only and on the two straights only. I could have certainly out-braked people if we were racing, but we weren't. Upon reflection, I was probably over-kind to let through as many as I did, but I took the view that even though it was the blue car that held me up, it made it very difficult to overtake the blue car with me in the way too. Consequently, even the Mazda 323 Twin Turbo was let through at one point and I was faster than that through the bends and same speed on the straights!

In general, there were no slow cars and driving standard was generally good. my left front is almost worn out. At £80 a corner, that is more than the track day cost!

Motorsport is expensive man! Particularly bad wear due to the most abrasive surface of any circuit I have been to and having to buy softest compound due to Yokohama having sold other compounds until next batch are shipped next year.

Torque steer is not a problem. With the sticky tyres on it wants to follow the grooves in the road a bit more than normal, but can be driven with one finger, even under full acceleration. I was worried about torque steer, after suffering a little with a decent 999cc, but the problem has never materialised with new road and these track boots

Was it noticeably at any disadvantage to the rear wheel drive cars in the corners? Watching the clip the car seems quite suited to purpose. Theres never much sense of it drifting wide or having to overcome inertia.

Last edited:
With the undouted advantage of new tyre grip, I was one of the fastest cars through the little chicane and then "glue" (last radius corner before the straight). I had complete confidence to throw it into a corner as fast as I could turn the wheel. The rack feels very slow through the tight bits. It was proper "take hand off wheel and grab from bottom and pull right round a whole turn" for the bus stop part. This was actually my limitation in speed through there- I couldn't turn the wheel over a turn each way any quicker! I took to letting go of the wheel and grabbing it again on the exit of the bus stop. The disadvantage of FWD was exiting out of corners. The open differential means I am waiting with a feathered throttle when the more powerful RWD stuff is flat and away. I knew this would be a problem, but backed out of a deal for a Quaife LSD due to financial constraint a few weeks ago. I will probably go down this route in the future. The rear of the car was very planted and gave no indication it would slip except under very heavy braking a couple of times when the rear wheels would have very little weight on them partly due to the suspension not being anywhere near hard enough despite being "uprated" by Spax.

I had many people come up to me in the paddock to congratulate me on a good drive and to offer their support and encouragement, which was really nice. No-one took the mick after they saw it go!

Mate, i just had to go find your build thread and read it, top class i love it. And wheel choice is bob on for the car, top marks to you go the the head of the class..

I shall have to go check out the rest of this section for fast panda's, i have been thinking my 1108 turbo engine would be well funny in a panda. Not sure i could bring myself to dismantle the seicento though lol

Back