New BMW M3 - Tri Turbo

Currently reading:
New BMW M3 - Tri Turbo

imported_richard33dees

Established member
The new M3 with a Tri-turbo, 3.3litre engine pumping out an environmentally friendly 450bhp will be with us in 2014. Just been reading this article on the Auto Express website.

Two of the turbos are normal gaseous types, the other is an electric turbo commonly found on ebay LMFAO, although in seriousness am sure they know what there doing.

car_photo_450163_7.jpg

Article gives few mentions to the details of the new M3, but pretty mush says that the M division should be producing more cars and bring new versions out faster.

makes sense really, two big(ish) turbos with another one much smaller to bridge a little of the lag gap

they'll never trully beat the e36 M3 in my eyes though, best all round package they've ever made

Not my cup of tea..would have thought, supercharger with turbo a better combo. Or the Innovative Triflux head design of the mid 80's Lancia Delta ECV rally car. 600bhp from a 1759cc twin cam.. Now we're talking.

If it were me, I'd just start at the beginning and get an e30 M3 Evo, which I think's maybe a marginally better alternative to an e36 even though I rather like the sound of a straight six. I just think you get more of a touring car feel with it due to it being less refined and even more basic. Of course, I'd need a test drive of both to make sure of this ;)

It's not the cheapest way to get into the M Division though, maybe an early M535i or an e34 M5 is the way to go for that and earlier non-Evo e36s are about the same money. Of course even the Evo spec ones aren't massively expensive (in relative terms) even if it's a GT for example.

As long as the engine's got a character and it doesn't become too clinical (for a German automobile) then I think it'll be alright. Latest twin turbo straight six 6-series' sound pretty decent for example. Looks pretty good from the pics certainly but I've heard some reviews of new BMWs that the actual handling/steering though still good, is a far cry from the Beemers of old. Guess that's the way motoring's going - same's been said of the latest Focus for example :/

I suppose with the electric turbo, that'll add credence to the ones on eBay and add the tagline "...as seen on the latest BMW M3..." :laugh:

richard33dees said:
Just copying the vag engine then.

Now let's all remember.... Lancia did it first and in a production car. Well.... almost a production car!

Ferrari and most 'hot' car makes will all end up going down the smaller capacity force-charged engines. I just hope they retain some soul. With VAG owning Lamborghini it'll be very interesting to see what their next generation engines will be like, probably no more luscious V10 lumps - but I'd be willing to bet whatever they produce will take some beating.
Or it should.
H

Back