Technical N noewbie drives a bunky ducato

Currently reading:
Technical N noewbie drives a bunky ducato

Scottthelot

Hi everyone from western Australia
I've got a fixer upper 2007 fiat ducato
244. 2.3 jtd. In fact I have 2, other one is
2006 again 2.3 jtd.
Now I'm trying to make the best one from both.
I've just swapped the gearbox from 2006 to the 2007. I'm keeping the 2007.
That's all good. Sorted
Next thing that bugs me is the airbag lig,
ht on constant. Now this is where I need your help, I'm aware that the airbag ecu is coded to the vehicle, and would require reprogramming, which is probably not economically viable.
Does anyone know what component it is coded to? Is it the engine ecu, or ky reader and locks or is there a body module, and what component comprise of a full set, that my van would become the other without knowing.
Cheers for having me and reading

Attachments

• IMG20231123092957.jpg
    IMG20231123092957.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 67
No specific knowledge of your model , but I would suggest buying either a full version of MES or a good diagnostic tool, I was able to use a Snap On Zeus Tool.
This will enable you to read all the error codes of both the ECU and the BCM (Body Computer Module) then it tell you what is faulty re airbag system, it can be the airbag it's self, the "squib " behind the steering wheel that allows the wires to revolve with the wheel to keep contact to the air bag on steering wheel, it can be other airbags in the vehicle depending on spec. it can be the seat occupancy sensors or wiring connectors etc.
Once you have fixed the fault you then need the good diagnostic tool to do a "proxi alignment" what this does basically is tell the BCM to talk to all the Airbag components and identify them in the system so they all work correctly.
One other point as I don't know your capabilities, treat airbags with respect and read up about them before working on them as even experienced mechanics have been killed by them if not very careful.;)

Production of the x244 ceased in mid 2006. Perhaps the 2007 was a late registration vehicle. From a quick look, both vehicles in the photo appear to be x244 models as stated.
The x244 does not have a BCM, and has minimal networking. The air bag computer is connected to pin 3 of the OBDII port. I have not had the need to access the airbag processor on my x244, but I expect that a special lead will be necessary to interrogate the system.
I do not know of any coding for the airbag computer other than to match the equipment i.e. airbags, pretensioners etc fitted to the vehicle. It is however possible that the VIN is written into its memory.

No specific knowledge of your model , but I would suggest buying either a full version of MES or a good diagnostic tool, I was able to use a Snap On Zeus Tool.
This will enable you to read all the error codes of both the ECU and the BCM (Body Computer Module) then it tell you what is faulty re airbag system, it can be the airbag it's self, the "squib " behind the steering wheel that allows the wires to revolve with the wheel to keep contact to the air bag on steering wheel, it can be other airbags in the vehicle depending on spec. it can be the seat occupancy sensors or wiring connectors etc.
Once you have fixed the fault you then need the good diagnostic tool to do a "proxi alignment" what this does basically is tell the BCM to talk to all the Airbag components and identify them in the system so they all work correctly.
One other point as I don't know your capabilities, treat airbags with respect and read up about them before working on them as even experienced mechanics have been killed by them if not very careful.;)
Cheers, good advice safety wise. yeah I haven't got a suitable diagnostic tool yet. Was just going
to use the swapnostics method.

Production of the x244 ceased in mid 2006. Perhaps the 2007 was a late registration vehicle. From a quick look, both vehicles in the photo appear to be x244 models as stated.
The x244 does not have a BCM, and has minimal networking. The air bag computer is connected to pin 3 of the OBDII port. I have not had the need to access the airbag processor on my x244, but I expect that a special lead will be necessary to interrogate the system.
I do not know of any coding for the airbag computer other than to match the equipment i.e. airbags, pretensioners etc fitted to the vehicle. It is however possible that the VIN is written into its memory.
Ok thanks, I'm picking up wee bits of info daily, I didn't realise they don't use a body module. I'll check the clock spring with a multimeter first.

Ok thanks, I'm picking up wee bits of info daily, I didn't realise they don't use a body module. I'll check the clock spring with a multimeter first.
I would have thought at that age, your vehicle would have some form of BCM, @Communicator will know far more than me regarding that and be able to give more specific advice.
Reading the error codes accurately will save you loads of grief, using the "swapnostics method" you mentioned is less effective on modern vehicle electronics as even if you have fitted the correct part , they have this delightful need for something called "proxi alignment" which basically means the replacement part has to be identified electronically by the BCM so that it can recognise and "talk" to it using a good diagnostic tool such as a full version of MES or Snap On etc. Otherwise it will still show a fault even with a working part fitted.
When working on one of my daughters, cars a Fiat Punto Evo, even the original passenger seat occupancy sensor fault would have needed to be cleared etc. using diagnostic tool. Many of the parts have a resister in their circuits which the computer reads when doing it's start up test when ignition first turned on.
From memory with seat sensor unplugged on her car, if working but unoccupied it should read 3 Ohms (the previous owner had done a solder repair which had taken that 3 Ohms out of the circuit destroying the BCM which I had to replace for the part alone of £149 new from eBay luckily.
Re testing clockspring or any other part of Airbag system, the general advice is to disconnect battery and wait roughly 30 minutes for the capacitors to discharge to reduce the chance of a "killer airbag " smacking you in the face when not wearing a seat belt and working with nose inches from the steering wheel:(.
One suggestion they say is work from outside leaning slightly in so Airbag hopefully would miss you. There is a lot of power in them and as I mentioned people have been killed by unexpected operation.

I would have thought at that age, your vehicle would have some form of BCM, @Communicator will know far more than me regarding that and be able to give more specific advice.
Reading the error codes accurately will save you loads of grief, using the "swapnostics method" you mentioned is less effective on modern vehicle electronics as even if you have fitted the correct part , they have this delightful need for something called "proxi alignment" which basically means the replacement part has to be identified electronically by the BCM so that it can recognise and "talk" to it using a good diagnostic tool such as a full version of MES or Snap On etc. Otherwise it will still show a fault even with a working part fitted.
When working on one of my daughters, cars a Fiat Punto Evo, even the original passenger seat occupancy sensor fault would have needed to be cleared etc. using diagnostic tool. Many of the parts have a resister in their circuits which the computer reads when doing it's start up test when ignition first turned on.
From memory with seat sensor unplugged on her car, if working but unoccupied it should read 3 Ohms (the previous owner had done a solder repair which had taken that 3 Ohms out of the circuit destroying the BCM which I had to replace for the part alone of £149 new from eBay luckily.
Re testing clockspring or any other part of Airbag system, the general advice is to disconnect battery and wait roughly 30 minutes for the capacitors to discharge to reduce the chance of a "killer airbag " smacking you in the face when not wearing a seat belt and working with nose inches from the steering wheel:(.
One suggestion they say is work from outside leaning slightly in so Airbag hopefully would miss you. There is a lot of power in them and as I mentioned people have been killed by unexpected operation.
Please do take heed of @bugsymike 's safety advice, and treat the airbags and any pretensioners with extreme reverence. They are explosive devices.

Back