IMG_6027.JPG

500 My wifes new motor - Fiat 500 :-)

Introduction

Not sure i would choose it over my own car but as a town car i cant think of anything with more character.

Love it

Fiat 500 1.2 pop with colour coded mirrors and chrome caps. Went for the grey interior and well chuffed with it
Right 1st impressions.

Plastics are ergonomically good if a little flimsy. Dont expect the seat fold/shoulder levers to last long

Space is excellent. Even with the front seats set at comfortable lengths my kids have as much leg room as my C class in the back

Looks - Excellent

Fuel economy - 48mpg for 1st 100mls

S & S - Has worked faultlessly since collecting on Friday

Drive quality - Its a bit of a come down from my own car and i wouldnt drive more than say 60mls or so in one go but it does feel nippy around town and thats where it is going to be used so no issues. Quite a bit of road feedback.

Collection - Couldnt fault them. Even under a sheet at the dealership for my kids to unveil

Hope it continues being so much fun

Well its been over a week since we got the little gem. A few more comments on our ownership

1) Fuel economy, based on 99% town driving is still mid 40's. With a bit of longer journeys i would expect 50+ easily.

2) S & S works flawlessly. Even with only 150mls on the clock it still hasnt had any issues with low battery etc.

3) Its a hoot to drive. Even with £30k worth of alternative car to drive i find myself taking the 500

4) The city steering is marvelous

Thought i would give a 4mth update on the car seeing as i have a nice 'outsiders' perspective on these cars. I dont drive it daily and i havent got the 'fiat' bug like so many on this site ;-)Anyhow.....The car has been faultless since day one. Not a single issue with noise, fuel, stop start etc etc etc.The car is so much fun to drive that i make excuses to use it and leave the c class merc at home. I love the fact i can sit at 30mph in 5th gear and it doesnt make a jot of difference to its performance but a big difference in its fuel economy. I love seeing people looking at it.The driving position is still not the best and i would hate to do big distances in it. This is a town car, pure and simple. The plastics are still pretty cheap, BUT they havent broken and they do what they are supposed to.Fuel economy is 45mpg over the first 2000mls (Didnt realise it resets) which i am happy with considering its average speed was 17mph.The wife is already telling me she wants the cc model next which she is going to be dissapointed about because at 18,000mls in 3 yrs it isnt getting replaced. Over the moon with the car

Any excuse to get in the 500 yet you claim not to have got the FIAT bug?

If you look at Honest John's you tube video of the 500c you'll find a reason to get the OH one next.
He says it handles like an Abarth!

Glad you're enjoying the car :)

Thought i would give a 4mth update on the car seeing as i have a nice 'outsiders' perspective on these cars. I dont drive it daily and i havent got the 'fiat' bug like so many on this site ;-)Anyhow.....The car has been faultless since day one. Not a single issue with noise, fuel, stop start etc etc etc.The car is so much fun to drive that i make excuses to use it and leave the c class merc at home. I love the fact i can sit at 30mph in 5th gear and it doesnt make a jot of difference to its performance but a big difference in its fuel economy. I love seeing people looking at it.The driving position is still not the best and i would hate to do big distances in it. This is a town car, pure and simple. The plastics are still pretty cheap, BUT they havent broken and they do what they are supposed to.Fuel economy is 45mpg over the first 2000mls (Didnt realise it resets) which i am happy with considering its average speed was 17mph.The wife is already telling me she wants the cc model next which she is going to be dissapointed about because at 18,000mls in 3 yrs it isnt getting replaced. Over the moon with the car

You keep telling yourself that my friend, you keep telling yourself that....!;):):D

Oh Hi, I am new to the Forum, and I am seriously thinking of getting the Lounge model, but not sure wether to go for Convertible or not,,, haven't had a TD in one yet (really looking forward to that day), but have had a good look around a few Models.. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Oh Hi, I am new to the Forum, and I am seriously thinking of getting the Lounge model, but not sure wether to go for Convertible or not,,, haven't had a TD in one yet (really looking forward to that day), but have had a good look around a few Models.. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Welcome to the Fiat Forum bevb. (y)

Would strongly suggest getting a test drive in a 500 so that the seating position, etc. is suitable. Sadly for one member after several months of looking he couldn't get used to the setup (Click here).

The car has been faultless since day one. Not a single issue with noise, fuel, stop start etc etc etc.

A surprise I know, but I honestly think these cars are no worse than many more expensive new cars as far as 'problems' go, and I'm sure your good experience will continue. And if it doesn't, hopefully you've found a good dealer who will take care of any problem (good dealers are out there!)

The car is so much fun to drive that i make excuses to use it and leave the c class merc at home. I love the fact i can sit at 30mph in 5th gear and it doesnt make a jot of difference to its performance but a big difference in its fuel economy. I love seeing people looking at it.The driving position is still not the best and i would hate to do big distances in it. This is a town car, pure and simple.

Yes, I have the same feelings for my 500, I use it a lot. The handling around town is perfect and I love the Dualogic's snappy gearchanges and the burble from the engine (mine's the 1.4). I remember the 1.2 manual being a smooth and easy drive. But at the same time, I had to buy myself a 166 (which was cheaper anyway, being a few years older), just so I have that really nice driving position, sound insulation, good looks, power and handling... actually I find driving the 166 as exhilirating as nights spend naked on the couch but interestingly, no-one else ever seems to like my 166, only me :) Everyone I know likes my 500 and they are still a really unusual car here, only ever seen one other in the city where I live. You should do a poll around your friends, maybe no-one likes the C-class Merc either :p

-Alex

Last edited:
Back