General My review of the Stilo

Currently reading:
General My review of the Stilo

right seeing as I've had 2 Stilo's in 2 years I thought I'd give my opinion on them.

The engine: now my first one was a JTD and to be honest probably the best in the range (the only one I haven't driven is the 1.8) yes it may sound like a tank while you sat at the lights, but once you get going the turbo is pretty loud compared to other turbo diesels.

once remapped the thing flies! it's very strong, turbo kicks in quite early in the rpm and only runs out of puff near the redline, obviously good MPG as well.

the 1.2 and 1.4 personally I couldn't live with in that size of a car, yes it sounds good and that's what FIAT engines are supposed to be small and loud, but it's out of place in the Stilo.

the 1.6 I found suited the Stilo, perfect size.

now the 2.4 is a beast waiting to be unleashed, the sound is amazing, power could be alot better than it is but I think it's enough for public roads.

Interior: now I though this was the most dissapointing part of the Stilo, if you have the phase 1 Stilo and not an Abarth your surrounded by black and misery, it's just so dull. There are plenty of buttons to play about with and most of them are easily accesible (except for ASR and CITY button).

If you have a phase 2 or Abarth with connect nav then the interior is improved with silver bits of the dash here there and everywhere :D

The seats are comfortable and quite supportive, the materials feel of decent quality (except for the door panels and handles)

Handling: now I found the steering to be ok but could be better, but this is the thing alot of magazines have said about the newer FIATs with the electric power steering.

suspension seems to hide the bumps quite well (if they haven't snapped) but something could be done with the anti-roll bars because the bodyroll from this thing is stupid.

Handling is helped from the quite wide tyres as well, from 195-215 width.

overall I think the Stilo IS a very good car for the price you pay, tons of equipment, good looking car but the only thing that let it down are the reputation and SOME of the dealers.

I have probably missed somethings off but oh well :eek:

Generally it a very good car ..not helped by the press and their dislike of fiat ..but there you go we an help everyone can we ..Oh and of course the 5dr is one of the best for space in its range :D

I found the 1.6 a very competent engine and I would agree about the jtd it really takes some beating ..the abarth well lets just say no thanks and leave it at that :D

yes well the 2.4 engine was a bit "rubbish" to be honest, like I said great sound, enough power but it was a bit rushed into the Stilo, power delivery can just appear in little pieces, 4000rpm a sudden surge of power then again at 6000rpm.

I had a 5 door as a courtesy car and it's extremley roomy and a high up driving position, but I don't like that :p

yes well the 2.4 engine was a bit "rubbish" to be honest, like I said great sound, enough power but it was a bit rushed into the Stilo, power delivery can just appear in little pieces, 4000rpm a sudden surge of power then again at 6000rpm.

I had a 5 door as a courtesy car and it's extremley roomy and a high up driving position, but I don't like that :p

Now I find the 3dr to low for me and always complain to the wife when she forces me to drive it :devil:

Buy a cushion. Hey presto!!! A higher seating position ;)

I have the 1.8 Dynamic and to me the engine is not too bad used to have a 1.6 16v Astra Sport whitch i Chiped and still thenk the Astra was Quicker,but over all its quite good and not to bad on the petrol as well can get anything from 29-38mpg out of depending on how its driven.

if it wasnt for having three gearboxes in it and snapping springs, I'd have another, probably a turbo diesel.

Thinking of swappin very soon but dont know what to. Wanted an Alpha next but moving away from the fiat fold for a bit.

Possibly a new shaped civic or focus TDCi. Can you get a TDCi with the ST bodyworks on it?

I wouldn't have a Ford if they paid me. I'm not a number, I'm a free man!!! ;)

The only Stilo I've had experience of is the wife's 1.4 Active. Interestingly, dan-the-man and I both like the car, but our views are almost diametrically opposed. For instance, although I agree the interior is a bit monochrome, but still for me manages to be a nice place to be. I find the dash easy to read and all the controls "fall readily to hand" as the journalists say. The trip computer is logical in its operation, informative and easy to use, unlike the one on the Alfa 159. To me, the seats are OK but lacking in under-thigh support as they appear to be too low, even on the highest setting. 'Er indoors finds them the most comfortable she's ever used. The steering is the weakest link, especially in comparison with the Focus the steering of which is very intuitive. You feel your hands are directly linked to the front wheels on the Ford. In the Stilo I can't help thinking the problem is the electric assistance as it lacks that initial very accurate turn in.The roadholding seems OK especially when you consider the 1.4 runs on the narrowest (195) tyres. The suspension seems about average, but it does seem to transmit a lot of bump-thump to the interior. If anyone can suggest a cure for this it would make driving it a lot more enjoyable. I wonder if different bushes would help. The 1.4 engine, however, is a different kettle of fish. In traffic 2000 revs is enough to keep up with the flow, and at odds with what you might expect, you don't have to keep changing down if you lose a few miles per hour as it's very flexible. It's quite good enough to pull cleanly from just under 1000 in the first 3 gears. Having had several Focus 1.6s as company cars over the years, you definitely have to work the 1.4 FIAT harder but it 's at least as strong as the Focus. If the wife drives it to and from work for a week, 3 miles each way it averages 37 mpg, measured brim to brim wheras if I use it to go to work 17 miles each way, 16 of it on motorway at 70-80 mph, 42 is the norm. In all the Focuses 32 was the norm around town and only about 36 on the motorway. Would we have another one? Probably not, but only because she wants an Alfa Junior when it comes out while I would like a Bravo. Not a bad recommendation though.

Very accurate review (y)

It's very close to my view of the Stilo although I don't find the ride a problem which I'm sure is due to the JTD being a heavier car.

One thing I've discovered recently is that P7's, largely due to their rather hard ride, do tend to provide a little more feedback.

The only Stilo I've had experience of is the wife's 1.4 Active. Interestingly, dan-the-man and I both like the car, but our views are almost diametrically opposed. For instance, although I agree the interior is a bit monochrome, but still for me manages to be a nice place to be. I find the dash easy to read and all the controls "fall readily to hand" as the journalists say. The trip computer is logical in its operation, informative and easy to use, unlike the one on the Alfa 159. To me, the seats are OK but lacking in under-thigh support as they appear to be too low, even on the highest setting. 'Er indoors finds them the most comfortable she's ever used. The steering is the weakest link, especially in comparison with the Focus the steering of which is very intuitive. You feel your hands are directly linked to the front wheels on the Ford. In the Stilo I can't help thinking the problem is the electric assistance as it lacks that initial very accurate turn in.The roadholding seems OK especially when you consider the 1.4 runs on the narrowest (195) tyres. The suspension seems about average, but it does seem to transmit a lot of bump-thump to the interior. If anyone can suggest a cure for this it would make driving it a lot more enjoyable. I wonder if different bushes would help. The 1.4 engine, however, is a different kettle of fish. In traffic 2000 revs is enough to keep up with the flow, and at odds with what you might expect, you don't have to keep changing down if you lose a few miles per hour as it's very flexible. It's quite good enough to pull cleanly from just under 1000 in the first 3 gears. Having had several Focus 1.6s as company cars over the years, you definitely have to work the 1.4 FIAT harder but it 's at least as strong as the Focus. If the wife drives it to and from work for a week, 3 miles each way it averages 37 mpg, measured brim to brim wheras if I use it to go to work 17 miles each way, 16 of it on motorway at 70-80 mph, 42 is the norm. In all the Focuses 32 was the norm around town and only about 36 on the motorway. Would we have another one? Probably not, but only because she wants an Alfa Junior when it comes out while I would like a Bravo. Not a bad recommendation though.

You should be comparing it to the focus 1.4.........which is mince!

Back