Technical my punto mk 1 p reg cuts out now and then when braking and code light comes on

Currently reading:
Technical my punto mk 1 p reg cuts out now and then when braking and code light comes on

rhithym32

HI
hope someone can help me as i bought a fiat punto last week p reg 1108cc and engine seeems fine but took it on a motorway run and then on my return,
i came off motorway and onto a roundabout and its just cut out, the code key light came on and the other three lights on the right side of dash.
i quickly turned the key again and it started but this is gonna be a problem as it doesnt happen all the time just now and then i dont understand it,
Also it happened today and the code key wouldnt go out?:bang:
i paid alot for this car £995 and i am thinking have i been ripped off?:slayer:
the car otherwise is in immaculate condition and when it doesnt cut out sounds perfect, another thing i have noticed isthat i put in £10.00 worth of petrol and it took me a radius of 80 miles is this about right or could there be a problem with the petrol tank maybe a small leak?
I know petrol has gone up but i have also got a rover 220gsi and this semms to be the same on petrol as i would have thought that the punto would have taken me more further but no chance my rover is a 2 litre too.
i hope anyone can give me some advice as i dont want to spend money on this car and stupid me signed agreement with garage saying that i have checked it over but the garage owner did say there was a slight miss in the engine but he assured me that the plugs had got changed but when i picked up the car it was exactly the same.
please please please someone reply to my post as i am not sure of what to do as i am a woman and not too clever on the mechanic side of things.
hope to hear from someone soon with a reply

thanks rhi xxx

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Price is a bit steep for he p reg 1.1, Sounds like either an electrical or fuel probelm, sure some fiat techinicain on here wil see your post an advise you best soon - Welcome to the forum though :)
hi and thanks for getting back to me i know it sounds steep dont it but it really is immaculate and the engine sounds great and interior is in excellent conditon its the colour also that made me buy it i think metallic green,:yum:
i am p....ed right off to tell you the truth as u said it ios steep especially when it keeps cutting out hope it dont cost too much to fix hope i get a tecnicians reply soon thanks again:p

:yum:

thefishdude said:
had something similar to this on a previous car. it was a sticky idle control valve. but i dont know if puntos have one of them ? anyone know ? or have a better suggestion more likely lol
hi thanks for your comments i have solved the problem of the petrol i think the prat who sold me it in garage only had tyre pressure of 20psi put in 30 psi and i now noticed a big difference on the petrol and also the steering is so much lighter, felt like i was trying to pull a lorry before.
I still have a problem though with the car stopping when braking as i said it dont happen all the time its real weird , it seems to do it more in the wet weather. Maybe it could be the allternator or a electrical thing, if anyone has had the same problem please please let me know and post back.
thanks for the comments i have already had i will get this checked out.
AS i said its really odd as it dont happen all the time. just now and then hope a fiat technician can help me . also my back window dont wind down anyone know where i can get a cheap cable for it.:worship:
well cheers to all and hope for more replys. and comments(y)
thanks peeps.
:p
rhi xx

thefishdude said:
had something similar to this on a previous car. it was a sticky idle control valve. but i dont know if puntos have one of them ? anyone know ? or have a better suggestion more likely lol
how much did this control valve cost may i ask and does anyone know if they are on puntos cheers

sorry dont know price i just lived with it car was a bit of a wreck so not worth spending on.

glad you sorted the petrol yeah 20 psi is way to low its a comon mistake they look at guide and see 2.0 bar ( new.euro standard) and they think its 20psi (old uk standard) happened to my sisters punto car aswell.

well could be worth going to a scrap yard can check its working on car there and then remove whole mechanism. should cost to much. unless you know for certain its the cable ?

Last edited:
thefishdude said:
sorry dont know price i just lived with it car was a bit of a wreck so not worth spending on.

glad you sorted the petrol yeah 20 psi is way to low its a comon mistake they look at guide and see 2.0 bar ( new.euro standard) and they think its 20psi (old uk standard) happened to my sisters punto car aswell.

well could be worth going to a scrap yard can check its working on car there and then remove whole mechanism. should cost to much. unless you know for certain its the cable ?

Thanks Fishdude for ur reply appreciate it alot, well its been going fine seems to only do it now and then now, could it be because it was stood for a while before i bought it? It also seems as if it as i said worse in the rain.

you mentioned cable at scrap yards, which cable do you mean? is it control valve?

As you said its not that much of a problem as it only happens in traffic or when braking quite strongly.

i suppose i could live with it, but get a little worried if travelling on motorways, :confused:
She has a lovely engine as i said got a rover 220gsi too getting a few problems sorting out on there. Bought this punto as hopefully a reliable car, but getting to really like it, well as i said cheers for the reply . could you ask about for me to see if anyone got any ideas though as it could besomething simple then you could post them to me.

Thanks again :

Back