General My Panda Wishlist

Currently reading:
General My Panda Wishlist

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
I've had the Panda over two weeks now, and so far it's been good. However, nothing's perfect, and if I were on the Panda design team, here's what I would have wished for...
Washer fluid bottle - Not only does this have a very small filler tube, but it's also awkward to get to. You wouldn't want to pour water out of a 10 litre bucket into there. (The Multijet has the washer filler in a different location to petrol models)
Boot handle. Why is there a stupid little strap to close the boot with? It's rubbish! Surely it would have been cheaper to mould a handle into the boot lining?
Interior lights. I love the way then when you remove the ignition key, the light comes on. Except it comes on for about 5 seconds. My Primera's light was on for much longer than this, and I preferred it.
Towing eye covers. Every Panda I've seen has had the towing eye covers protruding, and generally looking like a rubbish fit.
Fuel filler. Remove the fuel cap and put the nozzle in. Except it only goes in a few inches. If you're not careful, you end up with fuel overflowing.
Trip computer. The trip MPG and range seem to vary quite a lot, rather than gradually changing their values.

Those are what I've found so far. Has anyone else got any other niggles?
H

hmallett said:
Those are what I've found so far. Has anyone else got any other niggles?
H

I must be more tolerant than most, for me these 'niggles' are part of the personality of a small car. But my own niggles are there : the heater which microwaves your left foot, the difficulty of getting the ignition key out without scraping your knuckles on the door. But there are some excellent design examples too, look at the way your thumbs fit into the recesses on the steering wheel spokes, marvel at the overall interior quality - hardly any exposed metal on the door interiors, soft-touch plastics on the radio. Gasp at the excellent Skydome (unless you don't have one). Even the basic CD player sounds ok, (but won't play MP3's) . And the slick gear change makes the one in my £17K Toyota T-Sport Corolla feel like stirring bricks.

Excellent all round. So I forgive the microwaved foot.

The trip computer shows 'Average' and 'Instantaneous' figures. On mine the average stays constant most of the time, and seems to be working in much the same way as the one on my Corolla. The 'Average' will vary more after it's been reset, but as the mileage increases the rate of change will slow down, until the next reset. I didn't use the trip computer much on the Corolla, and don't use it much on the Panda, I guess the range feature is the best part for me, especially as I have a on-dash GPS for the rest of the info... Even after 160 miles from new, the Panda trip is telling me my overall average speed is 25 miles an hour!
Bring on the snow....

The volume button used to really annoy me, and it has been enlarged since, from I think late 2004? The only nasty thing for me though was the really cheap feel to the seat height adjuster lever, it felt like it would break.... never did though! The one in my 2003 Micra was much better, but then everything else was worse in the Nissan! The new Panda is pretty much perfect for what it is, miss mine so much!

hmallett said:
Washer fluid bottle - Not only does this have a very small filler tube, but it's also awkward to get to. You wouldn't want to pour water out of a 10 litre bucket into there. (The Multijet has the washer filler in a different location to petrol models)

could you not just use a funnel? :chin:

now you see this is where i wonder about development testing.do they actually test the cars in real life?
some things are personal tastes/hates but something like a really akward filler cap is something you would notice the 1st time you filled it.

this was similarly raised in the top gear episode(re run yesterday)where they got there mums to test three supermini's and you saw things like them struggling with sliding seats etc.not something that would be noted by more able bodyed testers

serin said:
could you not just use a funnel? :chin:
Yes, I had to get one with a flexi-pipe attached. With just a plain funnel it would still be really recessed and awkward to get to.
Also found that the washer bottle is only 1.8 litres. I'm going to be refilling this a lot :( The Coupe is about 5 litres.
H

Diesel version's filler is in a different place to petrol versions.
H

doblo said:
I bought a funnel with a tube connected specially for filling up the washer bottle.

I bought one too... It works fine, even on my diesel... :p
My washer bottle takes over two litres though. I like to keep mine topped up.

I don't mind the boot strap... It suits me fine, as without it, it would be a bit of a stretch for me to close my boot due to my lack of height.

I find that most things in my Panda are a bonus... Previously I drove a very basic 1992 Polo which had absolutely nothing as standard. There was no door on the glove compartment, no boot light, no cigarette lighter, no proper speakers, a rubbish radio, etc. and I had to source all these basic things from the scrapyard :). I found going to the scrapyard fun though.

There's only two extras that I would like for my Panda... The first would be the compartment for storing things under the front passenger seat. I don't like to store my handbag on the floor. The second would be the electric wing mirrors I wasn't allowed to order as an optional extra (unless I also ordered air-con).

Actually make that three things... I would also like some eight spoke alloys as I think they would look good. I keep getting tempted, but I must resist...

Otherwise I would say that my first 5000 miles with Dez have been very enjoyable (y)... Just reached that landmark this morning :D

Last edited:
is the screen wash filler in the same place as the centos? Hidden in the inner wing, behind the drivers side headlight? I have a 500ml sprite bottle with the end cut off in my boot to use when filling. None of this buying funnel lark! :eek:

Back