Technical My Orange B

Currently reading:
Technical My Orange B

If you have a barchetta pre 1999 than you should find the airflowmeter just after the new sports filter you have placed.

You can't really clean them , it's just a waste of time in the end. Just replace it with a brand new one.

Before you replace it, run the car with it disconnected and see if it suffers with the stalling revs. If it still suffers with the stalling then you know it is not the airmass meter.

I would then suspect an ignition coil.

When i unplug connector - engine stops. It can start without MAF sensor but will stop after 10 seconds.

I connect MAF back, still have that stalling.

So, i decided to send car to service.
What is in process now:
- HEL brake lines;
- Suspension rebuild - absorbers repair, rubber changing, tighten and fixation;
- Injection system check up and cleaning;
- Air filter cleaning;
- Rear light restoration (doing by my self);
- Sensors and wires check up;
- Exhaust manifold wrapping to decrease under hood temp;

When i unplug connector - engine stops. It can start without MAF sensor but will stop after 10 seconds.

me to... it works for 10 seconds and then slowly die, no matter how much gas i press. about rear light... what's wrong? they are misted? when i took them out seals around bulb looks really tight, but they still mist.

Not misted but quite dirty inside and scratched. I took off all, clean, will polish and put red transparent vinyl. Also i will try LED SMD lamps which i looks like much brighter than stock halogen.

BTW, my front shock absorber were absolutely broken. I can move rod easily by my hands. And it want go back it self.

Just check it today after repair, i can`t even move it a bit.

Also will wrap manifold today by myself, maybe will post few pics after.

post some pictures as you polish, and adding transparent vinyl... it could be nice DIY...

i tried with LED lamps, and were not so bright as original bulb. i also put LED repeaters. on right side are LED (blinker and position lights) and on left are originals. it's not best quality i use fixed telephone to make video :)

with all repeaters on:

with only right repeaters.. it was too fast because of relay bulbs didn't give enough resistance as originals, and relay goes crazy and blinking too:

I connect MAF back, still have that stalling.

So, i decided to send car to service.
What is in process now:
- HEL brake lines;
- Suspension rebuild - absorbers repair, rubber changing, tighten and fixation;
- Injection system check up and cleaning;
- Air filter cleaning;
- Rear light restoration (doing by my self);
- Sensors and wires check up;
- Exhaust manifold wrapping to decrease under hood temp;

That's a shame, usually it will allow the engine to run under default parameters. The only other way of checking is getting the fault codes read and sometimes it will show a failed air flow meter.
Other than that, I would take the spark plugs out and compare them with eachother, also compare the coil packs and look for tracking marks on the ceramic part of the spark plugs.

This is how manifold looks like after wrapping. I used DEI exhaust/header wrap kit.
88cd75129b0a7b37-large.jpg

I mean exhaust manifold. Wiki quote: "An exhaust manifold or header collects the exhaust gas from multiple cylinders into one pipe."

Relax, i load correct picture. Flexi is little bit damaged - but i can`t find reasonable repair. As long as it didn`t affect performance - let it be.

As long as the flexi isn't blowing it shouldn't affect performance. Some places can weld in a new flexible joint for you, but I am unsure of such places in your country.

That piece of exhaust is known as a down pipe. The manifold is the piece that fixes to the cylinder head which then fixes to the flange of the down pipe.

Manifold

Guys, i need your advice for brakes. With my driving style :) - existing B brakes are not enough.

I changed brake fluid and fitted HEL brake lines. Little bit improved but still not perfect for me.

Now i have three choices:
- used Fiat Coupe brembo calipers + EBC discs + EBC greenstuff pads;
- Only change discs and pads;
- Fit new Ksport 6 piston braking kit with 11" rotors;

Of course i am trying to find balance between price and gain.
So what will be best choice, how do you think?

If the existing brakes are not enough for normal road driving there's only one thing that needs changing, and it's nothing to do with the brakes...

EBC pads and grooved disks will make you slightly less likely to kill someone.

If the existing brakes are not enough for normal road driving there's only one thing that needs changing, and it's nothing to do with the brakes...

EBC pads and grooved disks will make you slightly less likely to kill someone.

I half agree with this....

But there again my brakes are S**TE!! Sometimes they seem ok mostly from cold... they can sometimes have good initial bite and passed the local version of an mot... other times they just suck!! press the pedal... high brake pedal and nothing !!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: !!

I'm starting to put it down to a brake booster problem or vaccum problem...??

Maybe it's just me....?? 2 of my 3 cars have major brake issues that no one has been able to resolve.... (n)

Guys, i need your advice for brakes. With my driving style :) - existing B brakes are not enough.

Agree with D-rat et all... you hardly ever need to even touch the brakes if you use the engine/gears to reduce speed. When you need to stop from say 100 km/h to a halt, just throw in 3rd gear and your speed will reduce to 50 km/h in a jiffy.

Make sure your Barchetta has good quality pads and discs firstly, then bleed the brakes with fresh fluid.
I have driven Barchettas with poor pads and discs and a high water content in the brake fluid i.e. 4% and the braking performance is significantly reduced.

Just passed 70K at my odo. And finally changed steel wheels to something more advanced. Literally advanced :p

It`s AdvanceRacer RCIII 17" wheels with new Yoko tyres. Car handling is comletely different now. More sharpness.

I will go for some workshops to make 10mm spacers based on 3mm OEM ones.
And need to look for new bolts as well.

For brakes - decided to try new pads first (Brembo OEM). If it will not improves braking quality will go for EBC grooved disks + EBC greenstuff pads.

P.S. My ABS light is now on. But i have doubts to fix it, coz braking without ABS is feels much more efficient and predictable for me.

88cd8e450799c572-main.jpg

88cd8e470ae56882-main.jpg

88cd8e46a67bbc53-main.jpg

Yikes! an interesting front bumper..... it looks like its about 5mm away from needing serious repair???

Other than that the car is looking good!!!(y)

Back