lucy 1.JPG

Punto (Mk2/2b) My new Punto! :)

Introduction

Just shook hands on this wee beauty, a 2004 Punto 1.2 8v Active Sport, never owned a Fiat before but had a wee Fiat 500 hire car recently (also yellow lol) and loved it! Cheap to run, poky and a hoot to drive! Was in need of a cheap runaround and this is it... :)

Couple questions for you experienced Punto aficionados! Haven't actually parted with my hard earned cash yet so would love some advice on these matters please!

-Engine management light has just come on, owner suggests fuel system needs cleaned. Engine runs very slightly lumpy on idle only, and even then only when warm, otherwise pulls fine.
-Gearbox stiff, especially going into 1st gear. Owner says it just needs oil...

Any ideas, tips or suggestions? Car is pretty clean inside and out apart from a few parking dings, drives pretty nicely too. 85k on the clock.

Also are there any other faults common to these models that you would advise me to get checked out?

Thanks in advance for your help guys! :)

/Gus
Lumpy idle and eml on, my guess would be a failing coil pack or ht/spark
All 3 are regular service items, you need to keep a healthy spark system to prevent feedback from coils damaging the ecu

A code read is essential on finding of what it thinks is wrong. Never trust a code without diagnosis first

----

Stiff first gear and no other stiff gears.... I dowt its oil.... really do, but its easy to check
In the guides section under mk2/b, I made a guide about draining / checking / filling the gearbox

I suspect probably a worn 1st syncro but no way of knowing via internet diagnosis

Ziggy

Back