General My new fiat panda 1000 super!

Currently reading:
General My new fiat panda 1000 super!

Ad4m H

View attachment 117087 I have bought a 1991 fiat panda super from eBay. It is in good condition but have got a few jobs that are needing attention. The first of which is the engine. When it is running it sounds good but the problem is getting it to start. Someone has fitted an electronic ignition to replace the points and condenser. It is meant to be more reliable but this is the second vehicle we have had with this system and and they both didn't work that well. So we are going to convert if back to the points ect... It is when you turn the key there is fuel going to the engine but it just won't fire, when it is just started it runs very rough and lumpy then cuts out if you don't rev it. I am also after a clip cover that hinges the front drivers seat of forward to let the rear passengers get in. I have got the leaver thing it just needs the cover. Also what is the best thing to use to clean the washer bottle out? Mine had some black gunkey stuff in it and we have tried jet washing the inside and soaking in warm water with a dishwasher tablet but it still hasn't all gone. Any advise?

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368480530.393803.jpg

Hail and welcome!

to save it being converted back over to points, why not get a distributor from off a Uno or a 4x4. (ask on here, some one will have one)
they are like a an electronic system but are "point less" using a little ignition modual to control the spark. it is all standard Fiat stuff and will bolt right on where the old one use to be.

2 bolts hold it on, 2 wires through 1 plug and then the 5 HT leads.

easy swap and no messing around with annoying points.
well worth looking in to :)

put up a wanted post in the parts wanted section, (put up 2, in the panda and uno section) asking for a point less distributor.

the washer bottle on mine was the same. i took it off, tipped it upside down with a rubber bung in the fill hole. filled it up with a bit of bleach through one of the washer motor holes and topped it up with water. left it a few days and it came out pristine.

hope this helps out man!

John, he's already got an electronic setup, its this which he wants to change.

OP Welcome BTW, it may be a standard fit, as J reg they started to change some, our 1000CL had this setup.

Personally I prefer the electronic setup to the points system :p :eek:

Re the washer bottle, remove it, remove the pump and let it soak in a sink of bleach :)

Where are you located out of interest?

Jon.

Hi
I live in Bournemouth and I have bought a set of points and just waiting on a condenser to come into stock. Thanks for the advise on the washer bottle I have taken it out and will start soaking I tonight. The rear washer jet wasn't working but the motor was. So I had a look at it and discovered that this pipe had come off the washer. I also blew the pipe through with compressed air in case it was blocked some where. I extended the washer pipe and put it all back. Not sure if it works as the washer bottle is out being soaked lol.
I will put some more pics up later.

Hi welcome to the Forum and classic Panda ownership. (y)

If you have bought a set of points and a condenser I assume that the electronic ign. system you have is afermarket and is fitted to the mechanical distributor, is that correct?

If, after you have fitted the points, you still have a problem it would be worth checking the fuel cut off valve on the front of the carb. as this can give you similar symptoms. Turn the ign. on, take off the feed wire, then touch the wire back onto the terminal, if the solenoid is ok you should hear it click each time you touch the terminal.

So I had a look at it and discovered that this pipe had come off the washer. I also blew the pipe through with compressed air in case it was blocked some where. I extended the washer pipe and put it all back.

There is a none return valve that often gets blocked, its in the rear N/S quatre panel, easy to get to if you remove the interior card, this might need replacing, only about £3-4 from motor factors. I suspect this is your issue if the the reservoir was all gunked up also (y)

Yes there is an after market electronic ignition system on my mechanical distributor. As for the fuel cut off I will test that next if the points and condenser still don't make the engine work properly. I will also have a look at this non return valve and see if I need a new one. Thanks.

Yep that is the mileage 115K. The big wire with the copper exposed was what we put there to see if it was the earth as the other earth wasn't that good. That was only a temporary measure...that didn't work. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368554259.340268.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368554280.098647.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368554336.238565.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368554350.625789.jpg

Personally I prefer the electronic setup to the points system :p :eek:

VmanC and I had a brief discussion re the merits of both, yesterday... -- probably because we swapped Pippin's dying distributor for one with similar characteristics.... :bang:

However, a third (sadly, purloined from Pinky), did the trick...! :woot:

PS: Welcome, Ad4m H! And apologies for both my terrible manners; and interrupting your thread.... :cry:

Last edited:
Yep the car is very sound and only has some minor issues. It hasn't got rusty doors and the body work is not too dented. For the mileage the car has been really well looked after.

We have just changed the old electronic ignition for point and condenser and put the distributor back on the car and tried to start it, with no joy... So then we changed the spark plugs as we got some with the car and discovered that 1 of the HT leads was loose and wouldn't fit onto the spark plug properly. With the car we got 2 used sets of HT leads so we swapped the loose lead for the equivalent lead of the spares. Then tried to start it again and joy of joys it worked!!!!! It is running a bit lumpy and I think the timing need doing but I am just happy it starts. I am going to buy a full new set of HT leads for the car soon so we can change the lot.

Back