General My new 71 500f

Currently reading:
General My new 71 500f

Indyspecracer

Here is my new little car. I purchased it from a gentleman in Canada who imported the car 15 years ago from Cannes, France. I needs some simple maintenance, but is otherwise in excellent condition.

Has anyone's seen this combination of front end trim before?

63517AF5.jpg

11BBB846.jpg

7AD19B65.jpg

Last edited:
No I have not seen this. It looks like a cross between a 500F and a 500L. There were three style front ends used on the later 500's. The 500L used the style Fiat center badge on your car with nothing else. The 500F used a different center badge with the side "whiskers." The 500R used the more modern block style FIAT badge with no whiskers. Not sure if the block style badge was used on the late 500F's.

You will see that various cars have different incorrect front ends on them. My car is a 1969 500L, but has an incorrect late model 500R front end panel (FIAT in block letters). I think it is just what was available cheap in Italy at the time to replace a damaged or rusted front panel.

Pics below show the three styles.

Your car also has the nerf bumper guards which would have only been on a 500L, but some owners add to their 500F's.

Where are you located?
John

Attachments

• 500F.jpg
    500F.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 500L.jpg
    500L.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 500R.jpg
    500R.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the front end trim. The guy that I bought the car from thought it was an L. As you can see from the interior shot, it has the round speedo which wasn't used on an L. I actuallly prefer the front end trim of the F, so I may look in to changing it at some point in time.

I am located in Noblesville, Indiana.

Hi and welcome,

Your car is indeed a 500F with a mixture of trim parts. Your front panel is probably correct for the car as late 500F's had the indent in the panel for a 500L badge but it has been fitted with 500D style "whiskers" with a 500L front badge in between them.
If you remove the existing setup a 500F badge should fit in just fine. If you get the choice it is better to get an "externally chromed" front badge- they cost more but don't instantly go yellow in the sun like most of the replacements do.
The 500L "nerf bar" is not factory for your car but will help to protect your shiny new front badge...

Damon

I installed the f badge. And as suspected, Damon, it worked just fine. I am waiting on some short bumper bolts so that I can remove the front nerd bar.
Here is a pic with the new badge.
97911C7D.jpg

Looks good! you could fit spacers behind the nuts at the rear of the front panel to take up the extra length on the bumper bolts in the meantime...
I think 500's look so much better without the nerf bars - and from personal experience it makes it harder for people to pick up your car and "park" it elsewhere....

The paint on the fuel tank was looking a little tired, so I stripped t and put a nice base coat / clear coat and added an appropriate fuel decal :)

AF813AC3.jpg

Back