General My Mk1 45

Currently reading:
General My Mk1 45

Seeing as I didnt sell my Mk1, I thought I`d tidy it up. The paint was terrible, matted & a couple of different shades, & the NSF corner had had a knock in the past, so the bumper, headlight & indicator were pushed in/crooked.

On sunday night I decided to get on with it, I started by taking off the grille, headlight & indicator, the impact had pushed the NS radiator vertical/bumper mounting panel in by about 5cm, so I undid the bumper screw, put a long bolt in from the other side & pulled it out with a slide hammer till it was level with the other side.

One of the headlight adjuster cups had snapped off the back of the reflector, so I made another with Chemical Metal. Unfortunately, the indicator screws & lens are knackered, one was so brittle it snapped off of the metal screw thread & the other one wasnt doing anything as part of the lens screw hole had broken, so I`ve had to bodge it for now till I can find another indicator.

My polisher died a few months ago after about 20 years of use (wasnt really a polisher, was a Black & Decker angle grinder with adjustable speed, worked beautifully for polishing though! (y)), so I got a used "Silverline" polisher locally via ebay for a bargain £15.

I decided to attack it with Farecla Profile 500 & white mop head.

I managed to get about 3/4 of the way round & then the polisher died, so I had to finish off the rest by hand!

Now I knew it wasnt going to look mint due to the various dents & scratches, plus I was doing it in the dark, but I`m quite happy with how its come out & it seems to be getting a lot of attention on the streets! :)

Still got plenty more to do, including cutting the NS bumper corner bolt out to put a new one in (luckily the sliders still on the bumper!) & probably the same on the other side too as its been bolted through.

I also want to repair the weird dent on the roof, I`m picking up the paint later today (& some to do my Panda`s doors now they are nearly finished!).

Attachments

• WP_20151220_0011.jpg
    WP_20151220_0011.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20151220_008.jpg
    WP_20151220_008.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • WP_20151221_0031.jpg
    WP_20151221_0031.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 33
  • WP_20151221_0041.jpg
    WP_20151221_0041.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I did consider buying this when you listed it recently but I'm still busy with mine and I've got limited space. It is a very nice example.

Amazing what a bit of attention can do to the appearance of a car huh?

Subscribed to this thread and am looking forward to reading updates.

It is fundamentally a good one, with a few cosmetic issues, my problem is a lack of time & room!

I`d really like to find a set of decent seats as the ones in it are threadbare.

I`m still going to sell it at some point as I`m a Mk2 man, but it is nice to cruise around in something different for a change!

This thread wont be that big, mechanically its fine, the only problem was a dirty carb which is now sorted! Drives well & is more economical than my Mk2, I reckon a good 10mpg better.

The list of things I intend to do is:

Repair the roof dent,
Touch in the scratches,
Wire brush the rust away from the sills & rear turret tops & re-underseal them,
Wire in the high level brake light (dont want to get rear ended!),
Find decent seats & a carpet.
Take the dash out to replace the top roll,
Refit the stereo/fag lighter wiring (as they were cut out before I got it),
Fit an original Grundig tape deck(!),
Change shocks & front wishbones,
Change the gear selector rod bushes,
Repaint the wheel trims, maybe fit alloys,

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. :rolleyes:

Very few of them had that, they did get the digi dashes as an option on SX`s on the continent, we didnt, only optional on the Turbo & very few people took it up!

Anyway, got the paint, looks a bit darker (I havent stirred it yet though).. We`ll see.. (y)

On the down side, my brake lights are playing up again, so I had to put my headlights on & turn the rear fog light on every time I braked! :p

Something else for the list!

Attachments

• WP_20151222_0151.jpg
    WP_20151222_0151.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20151222_0191.jpg
    WP_20151222_0191.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Hahaha I must admit I've had to use the rear fog lights as brake lights a few times in the past especially when police were behind me ;)

Are you doing touch up spots or painting whole panels etc?

Very few of them had that, they did get the digi dashes as an option on SX`s on the continent, we didnt, only optional on the Turbo & very few people took it up!

I blame the Knightrider tv series I watched as a kid. I love that oldschool digital tacho :D

Hahaha I must admit I've had to use the rear fog lights as brake lights a few times in the past especially when police were behind me ;)

Are you doing touch up spots or painting whole panels etc?

I need to sort it ASAP! The last thing I want is to be rear ended! Its the wiring at the fuse box, seems to be a number of dodgy connections, possibly tired spade connectors in the multiplugs, or cracked wiring.

Most of the paint will be touching in, I`ll have to spray the front edge of the roof after I`ve sorted the dent, if the colour match isnt great I`ll have to do the whole roof panel, & the passenger door is badly keyed, so I`ll have to spray that, plus I need to repair the 3 bits of rust on the OSR wheel arch (forgot to put that on the list the other day!), that`ll need spraying after too.

The rest of it should be brush on, then flat, then compound.

Back