Punto (Mk2/2b) My Little Punto

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) My Little Punto

Re: My Little Punto (Servicing)

Servicing Todo List

Checking my servicing log it was last serviced @ 9/7/2011 @ 36.6k with oil change and service

now it's 2013 and got 49.6k on the clock so i would say its over due a service and i can not find in my service booklet that its had a cambelt done but as i have read on other posts fiat used to say 72k or 8 years which ever occures first but since revised this to 3 years or 32k but also reading on other posts with it being a 16v its not something that is so straight forward todo my self

on the todo list is

CVT Filter £34.00 Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271109202...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=271109202029&_rdc=1

but then also there is this one £16.99 Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190851444...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=190851444916&_rdc=1

Tutela NG ATF Reading https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/326896-cvt-oil-speedgear-how-much.html seems to say about 3.x liters £44.52p for 4 liters

Timing Belt Kit £55.80 - £65.00 depending on how many teeth it has

Oil Filter £3.xx - £4.95 depending on quality

Air Filter £6.00 - £9.00 depending on make

Pollen Filter £10.00 -> £22.00 depending on make

Disc brake disc's £18 -> £36.00 depending on make

Disc brake pad's £22 -> £30.00 depending on make

Engine Oil depending on type price varies

CV Boot Kit £13.00ish depending on if inner or outer :s

Water Pump £30.00ish depending on make...

Coolant Price???

Now trying to cut costs not corners i am sure some / most of this work i could complete my self i would guess but i am not really experianced in this field but i also don't have a endless money pit to get it all done at a garage so i am looking for some helpful hint's and tip's that i can get the corrage to tackle some of these jobs my self

Look forward to your reply's

Beyre83

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If you are changing the coolant make sure you go for the red oat which is 5 years:

red = 5 years
blue = 2 years

i believe other colours are the same as in 2 years, but FIAT recommend using red coolant by doing a 50/50 mix.

for oil you're probably looking around £21-25 which includes filter and oil, refer to handbook for recommended oil for the 16v, changing the timing belt on 16v isnt as easy as it is on the 8v but im sure theres a guide somewhere on this forum, a search will reveal this.

for everything else is pretty straight forward as most is DIY.

good luck

benny

benny279 i did a search for the 16v and read a few posts even with some instructables :p that is why i fear maybe its a little to complex for a newby mech :p

i just wan't to get the work done so i know in my head she is sound and will live a ripe old age as shse is in good nick now i just don't want to chance anything by leaving it to late prevention is always better than the cure so ive been told also proactive is always better than reactive :p

she cost me just £2195 with 49k on the clock and she is ready tidy inside and out just a few chips on the rear bumper and a couple of scratchs on the side no rust though so ill probally add underseal to the list to keep her that way and that was from a dealer and the list price for her with her milage even in poor condition private was more than what was paid for her

so i wanna keep her in tip top condition so that is why i was asking for members advice

Beyre83

also Benny i am assuming your name is Ben.... (happens to be my name also) and i read the site owners name is also ben.... must be a common name but hey we all own fiat's of some description :p

Last edited:
benny279 i did a search for the 16v and read a few posts even with some instructables :p that is why i fear maybe its a little to complex for a newby mech :p

i just wan't to get the work done so i know in my head she is sound and will live a ripe old age as shse is in good nick now i just don't want to chance anything by leaving it to late prevention is always better than the cure so ive been told also proactive is always better than reactive :p

she cost me just £2195 with 49k on the clock and she is ready tidy inside and out just a few chips on the rear bumper and a couple of scratchs on the side no rust though so ill probally add underseal to the list to keep her that way and that was from a dealer and the list price for her with her milage even in poor condition private was more than what was paid for her

so i wanna keep her in tip top condition so that is why i was asking for members advice

Beyre83

also Benny i am assuming your name is Ben.... (happens to be my name also) and i read the site owners name is also ben.... must be a common name but hey we all own fiat's of some description :p

Yes my name is Ben ha ha and so is the owner of the forum which is a sound guy BTW! :)

Yes, 16v is quite daunting to change the timing belt! You need special tools for 16v whereas the 8v it's easy peasy to change just ask anyone with an 8v!:p I can vouch for it too!

Yes, always recommended to redo the underseal to keep her nice and tidy underneath so no pesky rust pops up and says hello!

Dont blame you with wanting to keep the car in good shape! I have done with my Punto though I paid a lot less than you and with higher miles as in 96k but it had tons of work done to it so I couldn't complain(y)

Welcome to the Fiat world:slayer:

benny

well since it has had its 36k service the next one according to the fiat service book is the 48k (which has not been done) and is on 49k

the book says

Check Tyre condition wear and pressure

Check Front Brake pads and discs for condition and wear (they pads need replacing mot advisory)

check handbrake leaver travel and adjust if required

check condition of paintwork underbody protection all piles and lines and all rubber components

check anti evaporation system

check fluid levels and top up if nessary

replace spark plugs
check engine control system operation using diagnostic socket

replace speedgear transmission oil

replace engine oil and filter

replace pollen filter

road test

so assuming that the 36k one was carryed out properly my todo list is not as long as i orginally thought or is it worth doing all that i had on my todo list?

and homeward Reguarding the CVT Filter can i use this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-CVT-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6fa1f0b4 which is £16.99 or does it have to be this..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-F...Car+Make:Fiat|Model:Punto&hash=item3f1f5e206d @ £34.99???

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
so assuming that the 36k one was carryed out properly my todo list is not as long as i orginally thought or is it worth doing all that i had on my todo list?

I'd be tempted to do everything... -- unless you have absolute proof that the previous service was carried out fully and properly.... :eek:

If that Unipart one is the correct one (which you can't tell, unless you get the seller to post a photo of the contents...), then (1) I'm livid -- as I've just bought one of the more expensive ones (still cheaper than last time, though...); and (2) it's a bargain! (y)

If it's not, you could always re-sell it.... :devil:

homeward i get what you mean about being tempted todo it all on my list but as its a 16v its not as straight forward as the 8v as everyone makes out on the forums that the 8v one is... and i lack alot of confidence todo it my self... don't want to start something then realise i can't do it and end up with a car in bits and then can't get it to a garage but also don't have a endless money pit to be able to get a garage todo all the work i would like doing for peace of mind...

so i am a little aprehensive :(

also do you have or know of a step by step guide for doing the CVT Oil change and maybe i will make that one of my first tasks but i have little to no experiance of serviceing give me a haynes book and a car interior and i could strip it and add some modifications and with electrics i understand quite a bit since i am a house electrician by trade

look forward to your reply

Beyre83

homeward i get what you mean about being tempted todo it all on my list but as its a 16v its not as straight forward as the 8v as everyone makes out on the forums that the 8v one is... and i lack alot of confidence todo it my self... don't want to start something then realise i can't do it and end up with a car in bits and then can't get it to a garage but also don't have a endless money pit to be able to get a garage todo all the work i would like doing for peace of mind...

so i am a little aprehensive :(

also do you have or know of a step by step guide for doing the CVT Oil change and maybe i will make that one of my first tasks but i have little to no experiance of serviceing give me a haynes book and a car interior and i could strip it and add some modifications and with electrics i understand quite a bit since i am a house electrician by trade

Having a 16v myself, I understand where you're coming from: but, really, it's only changing the timing belt that's more complicated.... (Because the tappets are hydraulic, at least we don't have to worry about shims, like the 8v guys...!) :rolleyes:

A Haynes manual really is your best bet: but I'd be tempted to read this thread, first, if you have any concerns... -- although it will probably put you off completely.... :eek:

My belief, though, is that if you're intelligent enough to get your head around wiring regs, then there's not much, mechanically, going to defeat you in the servicing department (as long as you build up a collection of basic and necessary tools...). ;)

Maybe start with something small and simple, like changing the air filter? Then move on to replacing the spark plugs (and maybe the leads); and build up from there... -- getting more confidence as you get experience...? :cool:

I 'share' the maintenance of my Punto with my local garage: as I'm disabled -- and there are certain 'heavy lifting' things that I just can't do; and, sometimes, I'm not well enough to do even the little things.... But there is still a lot to be said for... -- and a lot of satisfaction to be gained from... -- doing some (if not all) of the work yourself; as well as, of course, the money you will save. (On old cars, such as ours -- as someone recently said... -- parts are cheap, labour is expensive...!) :)

Have a go; and, if you get stuck, there are plenty of helpful folks on here: with loads of knowledge and experience. After all, we all had to start somewhere...! (y)

Last edited:
homeward i have read that thread and linked to it up there somewhere whilst that has not put me off, i did change gearbox oil of a vw ag4 autobox, that was a bitch to fill too :p at least on the punto filling seems simple enough... is it recomended to also change the sump drain plug from it, and does it have a overfill pipe in the sump drain plug... (the ag4 box did) and it was a pita to be honest with you... and changing spark plugs and leads ive done before :) so that is not to difficult just gotta make sure you dont cross thread the plug that is why i always if possible to fit the plugs loosely by hand if possible then tighten up with a sparkplug socket at least so i guess i can do some work my self heh but as you said its tha't damn cam belt i am consired with and prehaps the water pump because it needs to be siliconed sealed eak

Beyre83

Podge sounds like a plan :) also ive been thinking....

Steering wheels..... taking one from say a grand punto with remote control such as this one....
steeringwheel_zpsfd40fc94.jpg

and i know what your thinking my punto will not have the wiring for the stock headunit for the stalk control but theres the clever bit, i fit my aftermarket pioneer headunit with the adaptor plate then get a incar tech stalk adapter plug onto the control lead of the wheel and hey presto i have remote control of my audio :D

now the next question is what airbag does that use as i think the sporting airbag is the dogs nuts as seen here
airbag_zps5377f894.jpg

would that airbag fit the above wheel? i would be intrested in your feedback

or is it one of these beasts
airbagloose_zps6b41a608.jpg

which does not look as cool as the sporting / hgt airbag

Beyre83

Last edited:
Back