My laptops dead :(

Currently reading:
My laptops dead :(

To give the full picture, the story starts about.. 2months ago, when my laptop was being really slow I formatted the C drive and reinstalled windows. About 2 days after doing this my laptop seemed to be getting really hot, and turned itself off a couple of times. I installed this speedfan program and had a look at temperatures and stuff, 50-60 degrees :\.

I guess I really should have made more of an effort to fix it then, but I let it get worse... until eventually it doesn't want to boot into windows at all. I got a 'windows delayed file write' problem balloon in the bottom right corner back when it'd actually get to the windows stage. I've read up a little on the internet and this is something to do with data writing to a drive?

Thinking there might have been a problem with this installation of windows, I tried reinstalling again (I dont know what it was going to achieve :eek: ) and speedfan was reading temperatures of up to 80 degrees before it shut itself down.

As it stands, you can get into the bios, but if you let it go any further than that, its just a flickering line across the screen where the Windows XP loading screen should be. Have I cooked the hard drive? or buggered something more? :|

Anyone know much about laptops? Or can point me in the direction of someone who does?

Spec : amd x2 1.6ghz
1gb ram
120gb toshiba hard drive

Thanks in advance :)

Hey, Did you hear, see any fans spinning while it was getting hot?. On Laptops the fans are 'Smart' controlled which means they speed up depending on internal temperatures. Sounds like this and or the fan is faulty.

The hard drive issues could have been caused by the radical temperatures. if you lucky it may not be permenent but I'd probably say it is.

What make / model is the laptop?.

hey thanks for the reply. The internal fan, I don't think the internal fan was doing much now you mention it. You know how it'd usually speed up if there was a lot going on (lots of programs open etc i mean) I'm not sure if it was working properly. I had a huge desk fan pointed at it some of the time, this worked to an extent, but even then it turned itself off.

You think I was correct in thinking I've cooked the hard drive then?

Its an acer aspire 5100.

Aside from being slow and heating up, did it show any other unusual signs?

Aside from being slow and heating up, did it show any other unusual signs?

just the windows delayed file write balloon popping up, leading me to believe the hard drive was knackered. other than that, just being slow and being too hot. apart from that it worked normally lol.

Sounds like its overheated then due to the fan / fan controller failing and thus cooking the hard drive (delayed write errors suck :(). I have a program called 'PC Check' that can check the hard drive and verify its usefullness. Where abouts are you? I have a spare laptop sata Hard drive but its only 60gb but you can have it cheap. The fan is probably knackered but a new one shouldn't cost much online I can also repair this.

Edit: Just seen your in derby :(.

Last edited:
Back