General My first Fiat and a few questions

Currently reading:
General My first Fiat and a few questions

I would be more willing to pay a higher price if i can see previous MOT indicating the mileage and records of being service. This to me is much more trust worthy than a word of mouth, but i guess that's my opinion that when i look for a car i look for evidence rather than word of mouth.

I agree entirely on an old restored car, something worth a few quid but on an 11 yr old cinq...

As working in the trade, would only pay for what it is worth to me to sell on or take in p/x

It could have stacks of bills and old MOT and receipts etc but if its worth 500 quid on a forecourt then thats its worth 200-300 to buy

Its also dead easy to write out a few extra service bills and backdate them to build up a service history and add a couple of 100 quid, ive not partaken in such an act, but i know people who have.

A few pieces of extra bits of paper shouldnt also be trusted

Last edited:
i agree with other people a low milage car is not good at this stage especially if owned by a lady owner like many of them are. i have a 93 cinq 27,000 miles but looking at the service history all it ever has had is an oil and filter change and exahust and rad. so definately give a complete over haul and check things like clutch adjustment because alot of ederly owners tend to over rev the car and ride the clutch which aint good. definately go round the car with a pot of grease and coat things like handbrake mechanism and wd40 all locks and hinges.

check things like clutch adjustment because alot of ederly owners tend to over rev the car and ride the clutch which aint good. definately go round the car with a pot of grease and coat things like handbrake mechanism and wd40 all locks and hinges.

Agree 100% with you. My clutch needs adjustment!
Also, the check straps are noisy on the doors. Need to grease them up a bit.

I agree entirely on an old restored car, something worth a few quid but on an 11 yr old cinq...

As working in the trade, would only pay for what it is worth to me to sell on or take in p/x

It could have stacks of bills and old MOT and receipts etc but if its worth 500 quid on a forecourt then thats its worth 200-300 to buy

Its also dead easy to write out a few extra service bills and backdate them to build up a service history and add a couple of 100 quid, ive not partaken in such an act, but i know people who have.

A few pieces of extra bits of paper shouldnt also be trusted

True if you take it to a trade in .... that's like taking a classic mini to trade in and get the book price of £300 for it ? lol ....

Who would do such thing ? Not me, never even consider taking a cinq to trade in and get £200 for it reagrdless of having bills or not.

So lets assume 2 exact same cars and one with mot and bills, one with not and they both are the same price? Which one are you more likely to show interst in and go for ?

Ming

So lets assume 2 exact same cars and one with mot and bills, one with not and they both are the same price? Which one are you more likely to show interst in and go for ?

Ming

Its not as easy as that. It depends on the circumstances

personal use - one with an MOT etc as its more convenient

To sell on for a profit-one without, i have a good contact (retired mechanic) etc who does work etc on cars for a few £ and beer tokens, then i sell them in the next county as it is a better area and adds £200-500 (depending on the car) just being sold there.

Although your example isnt the best, certainly unrealistic as

A) no one pays the window sticker price

B) No one would put a car with MOT and one without etc next to one another and charge the same, they would be waiting a while to shift it

Last edited:
should of said previous MOT not current one. I am really going into a specific case or pin point to just cinq.

I am only generalising this for a normal car buyers. Not many "every-day car buyers" will know people in the trade or old mechanics like yourself. This is why i say people as in everyday buyers are more keen towards a car with history (e.g. previous mot, service history, FSh, etc)

Relating back to his case, it will not harm him in anyway to get the old mot(if he can), i would even say would put him in an advantage when comes to selling.

Ming

Relating back to his case, it will not harm him in anyway to get the old mot(if he can), i would even say would put him in an advantage when comes to selling.

i agree entirely, only wish there were many others who could be bothered to put in the legwork, i dont see any overall value increase however :)

Mike,

The Cinq' doesn't have a cover over the rear wiper motor. Cinq'ses don't have many "luxuries" (early models didn't even have back-lit switches!) :D

The oil leak on the left of the engine is the camshaft oil seal. They all do it guv'. Check out fleabay for a replacement.

Rocker cover gasket (do it at the same time) is about £5 and 5 bolts. Use some Blue Hylomar / gasket sealer to help it out and pay attention when you fit it.. there are little "D" pieces moulded into the gasket that should line up with the groove in the rocker cover.

The clutch needs adjusting a bit. If the pedal is too high, screw the adjuster nut out a bit. 2 or 3 turns ought to do it. Fit an M6 nylock nut on the end instead of the locknut, as it'll stop it loosening off (otherwise the locknut tends to unscrew with the big rubber nut following it).

The washer hose: The hose connects to the washer bottle. The "joint" you found is a valve to stop fluid running back down the tube (keeps the nozzle "primed"). If you have no fluid at that point, suspect the motor or (if you can hear it working) that the pipe is split or kinked.

Cinqses wash bottles live in the wheel arch, under the liner. Take the liner out via the front o/s wheel. The hoses always split or come adrift. New ones are plastic rather than rubber. Top the bottle up and see if you get a puddle in front of the front wheel overnight.

Also the motors can corrode and leak. If you always run out of washer fluid, it's one of these that's causing the problem.

Brake cylinder "leak" .. is more likely to be split fluid than anything else. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (it attracts moisture) so if you spill a bit, water condenses to it and makes it look like there is more there than was originally. Wipe it off and job done. Change the fluid though.. bleed the entire system starting at the furthest corner from the m/c as brake fluid goes "off" after 2 years (absorbs moisture.. performance suffers and you may get corrosion inside the brake pipes). Use DOT4 or DOT5.1 (not DOT5).

Otherwise, enjoy the beast... Sporting is a brilliant little motor.

Ralf S.

Hi Ralf. Many thanks for the reply. At least I now know that my seller didnt leave off the back trim. Its just a luxury I will have to save up for!! LOL

Got the rocker cover gasket this evening, but too dark now. Was going to pop that on tomorrow, but should I get the camshaft seal first? If I fit the rocker cover gasket, do I have to remove it again to fit the seal? I assume so.

The clutch I sorted yesterday evening. Just gave it a couple of turns and it's fine now

As for the "joint" on the front for rear washer, I looked on ePER and figured that it wasnt going to it and is in fact like you say, attached to the pump directly. The pump works fine and when I press the button for the rear spray, I can hear it fine, so I assume its a disconnected, blocked, split pipe. Need to find it first! Will try topping up and see what happens and hope it doesnt rain in the meantime.

Will clean that spill at brake fluid reservoir and I'm sure it will be fine. It doesnt look like a "leak" anyway. Its more like you said, was a leak once and thats it.

As for changing the fluid and doing the camshaft seal, any guides on these??

Yeah. Might just stick gasket on and clean her up and see what exactly is happening there afterwards anyway.
I'm planning a belt change in the near future anyway, so I'll be "going in" again soon! :D

No cinqs definately dont have a trim over the wiper motor. Also If the cambelt goes dont worry too much as it wont totally knacker your engine. Especialy as It wont have had a head gasket on it yet (Wont have been skimmed) so the valves shouldn't hit the pistons. I think they call them free wheeling engines. This does not apply to punto 75's or 16v sporting's though lol

The "camshaft oil seal leak" IS the camshaft oil seal.

I had exactly the same symptoms but because it's a bit fiddly, I left the camshaft oil seal in place and only changed the rocker cover gasket, (hoping a new rocker cover gasket would sort it). But afterwards it was still leaking, same as before.

I've left it for now as it's not tooo severe and the rocker cover gasket has cured a lot of the other leaking I was getting.

The hose to the rear washer is the one that runs round the front of the car. If the motor is making a noise, then it must be connected to the car's leccy supply okay.

The hose leading to the valve/joint is directly connected to the washer motor, so if there is water in the bottle, it should be coming out of that hose, assuming that the hose is not kinked or blocked and the pump is actually pumping (and not just making noises).

The valve can collapse and block the water from getting into the second hose (the one on the right of the valve) so disconnect the hose on the left from the pump and see if water comes out of it.

Ralf S.

The oil leak on the left of the engine is the camshaft oil seal. They all do it guv'.

No they dont!!! my 4 cinq's have never leaked from the camshaft oil seal. when i removed a head, i took the cam out and played with the tappets and fitted a different pulley, i didnt change the seal and it didnt leak, and that engine certainly didnt get an easy life

Back