General My '92 750 Fire

Currently reading:
General My '92 750 Fire

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my "newbies" post I've decided I've been far too mean to my little 750 and it's time it was back on the road. It's been sat in the garden since last parked up when the tax ran out in May '04 and was starting to look pretty sorry for itself. :(

So yesterday, having hacked my way to it through the undergrowth, after a quick look at the fluids I hooked up the jump leads and after a couple of turns it fired and ran :woot: and then PANIC! fuel pouring out of the pipe between pump and carb :eek: Fixed by robbing a new bit from one of my other "projects".

Fortunately only one of the tyres exploded while pumping them back up but when it came to trying to move it out of the corner the brakes had seized solid because some muppet :eek: had left the handbrake on. Cue a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer to the drums and, sooner than I'd expected, we were rolling!

Now with it on the driveway I could blast off the accumulated cack with the pressure washer and have a good poke around. OK, so the paint had oxidised a bit but there was no sign of any significant rot above or below other than the bottoms of the doors which were pretty much held together with plastic padding before. Mechanically it seems in fairly good shape too. The disks/pads look like they've had it and bearing in mind the seized drums I have ordered new parts all round and will fit them this weekend, will change brake fluid at the same time. One of the drive shaft gaiters looks as if it has split and probably dumped the gearbox oil, will have to have a lookie see while I'm at the brakes. With a bit of luck it should be MOTable early next week!

The paintwork seems to be responding to a bit of polish and elbow grease too. I had intended to take some "before" photos but forgot in the excitement of it actually running, by the time I remembered it was free of moss, small trees and other green gunk and was looking half decent. It had got a bit dark too. :doh:

To be continued... :)

Well, brakes are on after a bit of a fight :ROFLMAO: and bled. OS drive shaft gaiter had definitely split and the hub nut was seized :mad: ho hum. The local Fiat dealer had just happened to have the correct boot in stock but without the bearing, fortunately the one on there is good so all fitted back together nicely now.

Finished off the paintwork this afternoon and popped out the worst of the dents in the tailgate where some scrote had given it a kicking one night. Apart from a couple of pretty small scratches it's just the doors that are letting it down, sadly it's not just the rot in the bottoms, both are a bit bent at the top where it was craned on to a scrap wagon prior to it's first rescue.

So, as it stands, with a bit of luck I think I'm just a tyre away from an MOT. Got one booked for first thing Tuesday. :chin:

I managed to (briefly) remember the camera too, and took a couple of shots partway through the clean up:

ns_front_halfway.jpg

os_rear_halfway.jpg

Hi Dvere...
your Panda looks great...
mine was like that also and with a bit of work the red paint become shiny like yours.
Its like they reborn again...lol
Your 750 panda is it carbed or injection? and it has 4 ou 5 speed?
Mine has written CLX on the side and has 4 speed transmission.

P1010222640x480.jpg

I hope we can help one another... if some trouble happen with our firefly
Cheers

Thanks, folks. But...

:cry:

Just been handed a red ticket...

Could have been a lot worse I suppose.

Small hole O/S rear, where the cross member meets the sill just to the front of the arch, screen squirters insufficient (they were working this morning, honest :() and emissions which I sort of expected anyway.

Every cloud and all that, at least I've got an excellent excuse to get myself a new MIG now :ROFLMAO:

alterlego: It has a Carb and is five speed. For some reason I had thought it was a four but I found another one in there this morning. :confused:

alterlego: It has a Carb and is five speed. For some reason I had thought it was a four but I found another one in there this morning. :confused:

:D i should try to find the 5th gear, oh well... i prefer top gear anyway...(y)

Its very strange the CLX should have 5 gear transmission, mine has only four. Maybe they made a mistake in the factory writting CLX on the side, cause on the reg. documents of the car is written 750 CL.
Put some more pics of the car

:D i should try to find the 5th gear, oh well... i prefer top gear anyway...(y)

Its very strange the CLX should have 5 gear transmission, mine has only four. Maybe they made a mistake in the factory writting CLX on the side, cause on the reg. documents of the car is written 750 CL.
Put some more pics of the car

Previous owner (don't know why!) may have restickered it?:confused:

Didn't the CLX have plastic door trims with CLX badge?

Last edited:
Back