General My '76 X1/9 Project

Currently reading:
General My '76 X1/9 Project

One further thought - just looking at the photos. I strongly recommend against leaving the doors off the car for any length of time without fully supporting the car. Strong as the monocoque is, it will slowly bend in the middle without the extra support of the doors.

Jis its been a while since i've seen a x19 in south africa looking that good!
Thanks for the pic of the exhaust, i have been wondering what to do with mine for a while now, was planning on working on it the weekend.
Love those mags! When you figure out how to get them on, please tell me, have a couple of guys up here that want to put bigger mags on but cant.
About the bootspoiler, please no!

NOW YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE DOORS!!..........HAHA. The car was on supports, without doors or wheels for two years....hope there is no distortion.

The doors should go back in about two weeks, after fitting new door glass, electric winders and central locking.

Thanks for all your comments and advice, it's really helpful.

I was thinking of making aluminium spacers (18mm thickness) to fit both the hub and the wheel (if thats what "hubcentric" means) but will have to see if the standard studs and bolts are long enough... if not, i'll have to go the route of making spacer adaptors with studs pressed in from the back (at 100pcd) There is one other option.......to fit new mac/struts with smaller diameter coil springs....or just to use a shorter coils and move the bottom bucket up about 30mm. That'l clear the inside of the wheel. But this could be costly.

Hubcentric means that the wheel is primarily located on the centre spigot - the ring that protrudes at the centre of the hub. All Fiat wheels (that I am aware of) use this to align the wheel correctly. The bolts are just there to hold the wheel flat against the hub.

Most generic spacers remove the locating capacity of the spigot but some are specially crafted to extend the spigot. If you ever get a look at the ones Fiat supply for the Seicento Sporting you will see the difference.

If the car was properly supported during the layup then it shouldn't be a problem, especially if it was stripped out as the monocoque itself isn't actually all that heavy and can support its own weight (if the sills are in good condition).

At Last some progress.

Attachments

• DSC03188.JPG
    DSC03188.JPG
    594.2 KB · Views: 186
That looks great hydrocat
Mine is coming on ok,had a few problems trying to get the old style bumpers to fit etc.i have the body in primer,and the engine back in now.Again yours looks great.

Thanks guys.......It's about time I did some work on it. I'm reskinning the dashboard in GRP and that's much more work than I anticipated. Guess about 6 hours to complete it.....hope its worth it.

Shaun... post some pics so we can see what you're up to.:)

Hi,here are some pics of my car, not sure about the alloys.

Attachments

• PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    671.4 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    749.9 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    712.5 KB · Views: 122
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    807.2 KB · Views: 111
Those wheels don't work - they might look good on a Mk1 Punto but not on an X1/9. I suggest looking at Compomotive CXRs, as cheap as the typical Halfords junk but proper working high performance alloys and in the right offsets too.

Thanks jimbro1000, i was given the alloys and thought i would try them, but i dont really like them myself.i have a lot more work to do before i worry about the wheels and hope to get it finished before the summer.Would you keep 13 inch alloys or go bigger,i will be fitting euro style bumpers if that makes any difference to the look.

Hey Shaun........lookin good so far.(y) Are you going to repaint in black.....they do look great in black. I see you're going to be busy for a while.

I received the two side vents I ordered from Midwest X1/9 in the post today....hats off to Mad Matt....:slayer: they look great on the car

Will post new pics soon.

Yes hydrocat i am going to leave it black it is the original colour.i have toyota supra seats to go in it which have taken alot of work to get to fit as well as the euro style bumpers and a modified front grille but hopefully it will be worth it.i would like to see more pics of yours when you can

Last edited:
hi, FlameON i have got the seats in and have make a grille for the front also i have euro quarter bumpers which i am fitting at the moment. Shaun
ps i will get photos as soon as i can

Hi Shaun and FlameON

Glad to see you made some progress Shaun..... I've been lazy and only finished reskinning and painting the dash and fitted the side vents I got from the States. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the project, as we are planning to move to Australia, and I won't be able to take it with. A real shame......as the X is really starting to look good.

I will post some pics soon.:cool:

What an incredible thread! Hydrocat, your work inspires me! And Jimbro, you're a real expert! I've owned my X1/9 for about 9 years and believe me when I tell you I'm no mechanic. But with luck, trial & error, and a haynes manual I've made a go of it. I think I would like to put on some of those split type bumpers...I don't have any bumpers on now. I wired the blinkers throught the front bumper post (use yellow lenses, too). Check the pics of my car and tell me what you think about adding those bumpers. You can't see the bumpers in the last pic...I just like that photo:) It's in my garage.

2008_0706Image0172.JPG 2008_0706Image0171.JPG

2008_0706Image0168.JPG

Last edited:
Back