1401176934472.jpg

Grande Punto My 2008 Eleganza :D

Introduction

I just thought I'd share a picture of my pride and joy. I've had it just over a month, and it's absolutely superb!! :D
Who can tell if they are useful until they have them?

Normally the Puntos are only fitted with the foglight wiring if they have the lights - but my car has the foglight wiring in place, so I thought I would try putting them in. If you don't have the wiring you are best advised to fit a separate switch and cable.

True! I'm going by my Punto not having any, and being a passenger in a Fiesta with foglights. Can't say from my perspective the difference was all that much. Could definitely see more of the fog density though! (y)

I suppose like you said though, with the wiring and the confidence it makes sense to utilise it anyway!

Well, the good news is that the exhaust problem was just a broken joint in the pipe. The bad news is that I'm likely to need a new clutch and sump some point in the next year.

Well, the good news is that the exhaust problem was just a broken joint in the pipe. The bad news is that I'm likely to need a new clutch and sump some point in the next year.

If I still lived in England I'd come down and help!!!

We managed to do the clutch and the sump on mines.

If you want to keep you're car I'd get a good Fiat or named part sump as I used a pattern part for the first time and the fit was terrible, still though, just a matter of compensating with the sealant.

Some good advice from fellow members on here if you look at some of my recent threads :)

The clutch isn't likely to go in the immediate future, it might even last a couple of years. If noticed it being very juddery this week, mentioned it to the mechanic, and as is always the way, it drove sweet as a nut on the way home, lol! The shocking state of the sump could well explain why the car is using a lot of oil. Hopefully it should survive until MOT time in march, lol!

The clutch isn't likely to go in the immediate future, it might even last a couple of years. If noticed it being very juddery this week, mentioned it to the mechanic, and as is always the way, it drove sweet as a nut on the way home, lol! The shocking state of the sump could well explain why the car is using a lot of oil. Hopefully it should survive until MOT time in march, lol!

My car failed it's MOT as there was a great rust hole on the sump! Fixed it. Still leaks. Re-did it. Discovered it must be the flywheel seal. We've just put that in tonight so hopefully that'll be that lol

Hopefully yours is as simple as the sump though

I did a few shorter journies in the car today, and no hint of judder at all: it seems back to its usual fantastic to drive self! :) Hopefully the juddering was down to the driver, lol! ;)

[Spoke to a friend of a friend the other day who had a Fiat. Was a Punto too, 08 mode I think. 1.4 with around 60,000 miles. Said he's selling it next year... told him to definitely let me know at the time. So tempting, but I've spent so much on the Panda at the same time haha

In reality , unless you need the space - the panda is the better car,
AND you've refreshed yours substantially..

In reality , unless you need the space - the panda is the better car,
AND you've refreshed yours substantially..
Granted, I've never driven a Panda, but I can honestly say that my Grande is a fantastic car. Aside from the alternator last year, the only things it's needed done to it are due to age/wear and tear. I hope to keep it til it's 15 years old, then I definitely want the facelift version. I can get 50mpg out of it, plus it feels very reassuringly safe and solid. :)

This weekend, I went to a concert that was a 130 mile trip each way. 3 adult passengers, a boot full of luggage, and mainly dual carriageway/motorway driving. The car didn't miss a beat, and once again, proved itself to be a great long distance cruiser: despite all the weight and high speed driving, still returned over 40mpg, plus everyone commented on how comfortable it was, even my mate who's over 6ft tall, and sat in the back the entire time!! :)

I got to ride in my parents 2009 Clio Dynamique today. It is a really nice car... but not as nice as the Grande.

I was sat in the back, and I've got to say, the space was good, and the seats are very comfortable.

The spec sheets are different, my Eleganza has dual zone automatic climate, whereas the Dynamique has manual heating/ventilation with aircon. The Clio has automatic lights and wipers, which my Grande lacks, whereas the Fiat has rear parking sensors, built in bluetooth with USB, electric drivers' lumbar adjustment, and a front armrest. Personally, I prefer the spec of the Grande.

The interior design is a lot more imaginative in my Fiat, and the upholstery is nicer. Top Gear magazine tested the mk3 Clio and the Grande Punto back to back, and commented on how the Clio interior had much more of a quality feel do it. Granted, it's leagues ahead of a (more modern!) Seat Ibiza, but I don't think it's any more plush than my allegedly cheaper feeling Punto interior tbh.

The French are like the Italians but their passion is ego based. The Italians passion is .. well, I don't know, but it makes me love my car more.. you know what I mean!

Drove a friends 2010 Clio, which somehow had the suspension heightened (Ripcurl model?). A 1.5 diesel, it was bloody fast. Had cornering lights which was odd but 'cool'. Quite smooth too due to the height. Still don't see myself taking a special interest in one though, quite pricey. The Clio and Punto started off as suitable competitors but like many good cars the Clio seems to be getting too big for its boots. Even the new Ford Ka is effectively the size of a Fiesta not so long ago

I haven't driven a Renault, but given how my Grande Punto meets my needs and wants so damn well, that's unlikely to change any time soon.

With regards to how cars grow with every generation, I personally believe it's partly due to potential customers wanting ever increasing amounts of space, and partly due to the increasingly stringent legislation that cars have to meet.

I see a lot of Punto's about, think a few people at my uni have them too. They're quite nice. I like the headlights, they look like those from a Ferrari I've seen on Top Gear (no idea which one!)!

I've said it a few times, but with the Punto and 500 I feel like I'd lose the will to live it it got scratched / dented because they look so damn good, whereas I love the Pandas looks just as much, but don't seem to imagine I'd feel the same as it accumulated dents and scratches, it seems so functional and practical that it'd take it in its stride!

64641125.jpeg

This is the car that Giugiaro used as inspiration for the front end of the Grande Punto.

A lot of people slag Grande Puntos (and pretty much all Fiats tbh) off no end, but they're a genuinely great car! I'd wanted 1 for over 8 years before I got that 1, and it hasn't disappointed.

With regards to dents and scratches, they'll bug me whatever car I own, lol! Well, unless I'm unfortunate to find meself owning something horrible, like an up or a fiesta, of course!

It is indeed a stunning piece of design. At risk of sounding biased, Giugiaros adaptation of the Maserati nose on the Grande Punto was far more subtle, and a lot, lot more aesthetically pleasing than ford blatantly copying the Aston Martin design on the fiesta, and then the current focus and mondeo: they've just made it look downright tacky tbh.

I don't know what they're called I'm afraid. They're the same 15" alloys as the Dynamic model. Depending on the size of your brake discs, these wheels might not actually fit on your T-Jet.

Back