182906_1720892153862_1585050646_1616605_5982159_n.jpg

My 1981 Triumph Tr8 V8

Introduction

ok heres my triumph tr8 v8 tht i havnt worked on ina year now, i rlly need to get it finished
SPEC
1981 triumph tr8 built in coventry
new chassis (old chassis couldnt cope with a 3.5 litre carburettor)
fuel swirl pot (Toyota mr2 power steering swirl pot)
facett fuel pump
peco backbox
viper bodykit
motorised DVD player
new convertible roof
blue leather seats
5 speed gearbox (tvr gearbox)
lower ratio differential
Mr2 mk1 rear spoiler
5.0 litre TVR EFI fuel injection engine (hence the fuel swirl pot)
i had more pictures on my triumph forum but they got removed as i havnt used tht forum for 3 years!(n)
heres some pics
181625_1720893393893_1585050646_1616606_1241756_n.jpg

182906_1720892153862_1585050646_1616605_5982159_n.jpg

2345_1050761921025_1585050646_131953_6053_n.jpg

lVADRV.jpg

My MR2 turbo behind lol
ill get some pics of the engine
At last fella about time you got this thread up and running! Love these don't know why as they were complete rust buckets. Is it running? I's say dangerously fast? What's the plans to finish it? I reckon very wide super lights or deep dish Rota's for the wheel choice! I must admit I am jealous I want a big project.

At last fella about time you got this thread up and running! Love these don't know why as they were complete rust buckets. Is it running? I's say dangerously fast? What's the plans to finish it? I reckon very wide super lights or deep dish Rota's for the wheel choice! I must admit I am jealous I want a big project.

to be completely honest British leyland used the same P.C.D off a rover metro meaning it will only fit metro wheels...... heres something interesting......

Did you know the MGF has two front ends for the chassis off a metro?

meaning the wheel stud patterns are exactly the same on a MGF. Right not i have austin princess 4 pot brakes and rover montego steel wheels.

In the last pic i tried to fit a MGZR alloy but completely failed, it runs amazing and sounds like a dodge charger (rough idles!), as for speed i have NEVER taken it out of my street because everyday theres something funky on the electrics!
But it has SOOOO much torque! and a close ratio box

british leyland used a monkey to wire their cars up! Im trying my hardest to get the wipers to work!

thats the main reason i bought a new chassis because the floor pans were non existant and the car was covered in filler :(
Bodywork is solid as a rock now :)

Last edited:
Very nice specs! Quite fancy a tr7 myself it seems to of gained a poor reputation as a car probably due to the Poor build quality of the era and it's several factory moves meant it didn't have a chance. Aren't they basically a shortened sd1 platform. Near 50/50 weight distribution too which surprised me!

Was yours originally a tr8 or was it a converted tr7? Is that the intended colour? And I hope the seat cover is going, and not sure on the gauges, I had one like that but threw it out as it was too brightly lit and White gauges are wrong anyway!

yes this is a propper legit triumph tr8 (not a convert), apart from the 2.0 litre engine in the tr7 the tr8 was exactly the same.
These tr8's are well known for the antiroll bars making the front end dive quite badly, but ive got a kit that stops it from diving
as for the suspension it really matters what tyres your using (to a certain extent!)
I guess these cars are know to me a British Corvette
Fast off the lights, crap around corners

The TR8 trounced the corvettes in trans am! There's a video on YouTube of the race at laguna seca. Think it's 1979? Looks amazing in the White with green group 44 racing colours and big rear wing.

Dave that sounds like fun, apart from the back winning.. Would you say it just lack of development in the chasis or a fundamentally flawed car? A very different car to the spitfire though.

fundamentally flawed car that finally killed triumph, they should have put the engine in the middle

Fiat X1/9
mid engined alternative

why do people say how bad they are and their reputation, nobody has taken into account how much ive looked after the car and how well its performing!
Yes triumph cut alot of corners making the tr7 but you have to keep in mind that these types of cars are what driving is really about, no driving aids, power steering, airbags, electric hood or even fuel injection!
Ive spent alot of money, time and late nights to make this car right :)

off topic
i also have a Lancia Beta Montecarlo both spider and hardtop, the spider is like brand new but kept away from home in my dad's old garage (previous house)
There are 3 lancias at my house - 2 are used for donor cars parts
one is kept garaged under alot of tarpaulin and wheels lol ill try to get picss

Last edited:
Fiat X1/9
mid engined alternative

why do people say how bad they are and their reputation, nobody has taken into account how much ive looked after the car and how well its performing!
Yes triumph cut alot of corners making the tr7 but you have to keep in mind that these types of cars are what driving is really about, no driving aids, power steering, airbags, electric hood or even fuel injection!
Ive spent alot of money, time and late nights to make this car right :)

Their poor reputation is mainly down to the hard tops styling, which lots of people don't like, but i quite like it and the massive quality problems these cars suffered from, these can however be ironed out, like how you have done.(y)

By the way, what colour is it? the pics seem to show it part matt black and part blue?

Here's the video of TR8 beating the Corvettes.

Oh and don't leave it parked over grass for too long, my cousin has picture of a weed coming out of the gear knob gaiter on his lol.

Last edited:
Back