MX5 hairdresses car???

Currently reading:
MX5 hairdresses car???

MX5 hairdresses car?

• Total voters
Getting one myself as a second car for the summer. I know it is a girly car BUT name me a soft top that is eco on the petrol, Jap and relliable, cheap on insurance and rear wheel drive.

Ideal for a trackday or a country road, nippy and fun to drift.

Says it all dont it.

Fiat Marea 2.0 20V HLX (155bhp) 4d

Engine Size 1998 cc
Cylinders 5
0-60 mph 8.4 s
Power Output 155 bhp
Valves 20
Torque 186 Nm
Top Speed 129 mph

Mazda MX-5 1.8i Sport 2d (98)

Engine Size 1840 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph 7.7 s
Power Output 140 bhp
Valves 16
Torque 162 Nm 120 lb-ft
Top Speed 127 mph

And thats before you get to a corner, realise that the Marea is an estate and doesn't to them and fly into a ditch while the MX-5 is renowned for it's handling. No contest tbh...

Fiat Marea 2.0 20V HLX (155bhp) 4d

Engine Size 1998 cc
Cylinders 5
0-60 mph 8.4 s
Power Output 155 bhp
Valves 20
Torque 186 Nm
Top Speed 129 mph

Mazda MX-5 1.8i Sport 2d (98)

Engine Size 1840 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph 7.7 s
Power Output 140 bhp
Valves 16
Torque 162 Nm 120 lb-ft
Top Speed 127 mph

And thats before you get to a corner, realise that the Marea is an estate and doesn't to them and fly into a ditch while the MX-5 is renowned for it's handling. No contest tbh...

Either they stats are rubbish or every MX-5 that has tried it on with me was broken in some way that they lost about 30bhp.
Had one that left me for dead and it was a turbo imported like that.

Packing punch has nowt to do with corners.

I love Fiats as much as the next forum member, but theres no doubt about it that an MX-5 would be far more fun to go faster in than a Marea.

And what's the point in "packing more punch" when you have to slow right down for every corner? Completely defeats the object...

Oh, and maybe you have only ever tried it on with 1.6s?

I love Fiats as much as the next forum member, but theres no doubt about it that an MX-5 would be far more fun to go faster in than a Marea.

And what's the point in "packing more punch" when you have to slow right down for every corner? Completely defeats the object...

Oh, and maybe you have only ever tried it on with 1.6s?

Not all 1.6s one was a turbo. :rolleyes:
and nobody was talking about cornering, everyone was saying how much faster a marea is to a MX-5 a comment I will still stand by as the only one that has been faster than me was an imported turbo. Now if I imported a marea from Brazil it would be faster again.

Ryan made a point about it not packing a punch. Now you can change the subject to cornering if you want and I don't think anybody will argue.
A 2 seater roadster will corner better than a big saloon or estate ofcourse it will.

Even tho they will doesn't stop them being for hairdresser and men in their 40's who have been kicked out by their wives and are trying to find a younger model to replace them with.:)

Your figure are against it, but due to the nature of such thing you could proberly find 50 different sets of figure all with wildly different numbers attached.

As for Ryan comments about 0-60 in 7.0 I've never read that so coldn't comment. You might need proof on a dragstrip I however have seen it multiple times and need none.

My figures:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=194

PERFORMANCE, FUEL CONSUMPTION
AND CO2 EMISSIONS

1.8 126PS petrol 5-speed manual: 0-60 9.1 seconds; top speed 122mph; combined mpg 38.7; CO2 emissions 174g/km (VED Band F Petrol); EU4; Insurance Group 11E

2.0 160PS petrol 5-speed manual: 0-60 7.6 seconds; top speed 130mph; combined mpg 36.7; CO2 emissions 183g/km (VED Band F Petrol); EU4; Insurance Group 13E

2.0 160PS petrol 6-speed manual: 0-60 7.6 seconds; top speed 130mph; combined mpg 34.5; CO2 emissions 193g/km (VED Band F Petrol); EU4; Insurance Group 13E

or

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Data.aspx?model=1422

Unfortunately the figures are against the Marea, it would have to prove itself on a drag strip...

And any argument Ryan makes is null and void ever since he claimed his standard Marea did 0-60 in 7seconds....

you are correct, i did say that, and so did my speedo.

however the first time i ever used satnav we discovered that was 4mph out so thats 56mph in 7's but with my current bigger tyres i dont know what it would be.

i never claimed 7's was accurate and i stated it was self timed.

i'm happy to drag one if you can find someone up for it.

mx5 is a good car, but its a good girls car.

anyone noticed that this poll currently totals 104.26% :confused:

Yes 63.83%
No 40.43%

Hmm only person i know who has one is my mates mam she's a sports masseuse....so not a hairdresser but he looks a proper gimp when he borrows it!....also if you must have a Marea weekend versus Mx5 race may i suggest a wet autumn road with plenty of leaves....they are as evil in slippery conditions as they are good in the dry...unless you change your rears the moment they get below 3.5 mil (or so im told, never driven said hairdryer)

Come on, who cares? Some people class Fiat cars as household appliances with no style (yet drive Vauxhalls) Fiat drivers class Korean cars as household appliances. It's all subjective and it really doesn't matter. If somebody wants to judge me solely on my car, so be it, but they're the person losing out, not me. If you want to stop that look of madness people give you when you say you drive a Fiat, it would help if people stopped doing the same towards others.

mazdamx506.jpg

Great looking car, I would drive it

Back