General Multipla rear subframe

Currently reading:
General Multipla rear subframe

tnpali01

Anyone know where to get a good rear subframe for a 2007 1.9 JTD Multipla ?

MOT Fail , been advised I need a new subframe.... Dont know if they can be repaired or reconditioned... from mot FAIL SHEET .Nearside Rear Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/or bush excessively worn (5.1.2 (b) (i))
Offside Rear Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/or bush excessively worn (5.1.2 (b) (i))
Offside Rear Coil spring mounting corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Rear wheels appear to be leaning inwards too. Want to fix this car rather than scrap it, but dont seem to be able to find anyone interested in doing the work, or sourcing parts.

The leaning in will be the trailing arm bearings, of which I changed one of mine with the subframe still in situ.
How bad is the spring mounting corrosion? Is it just the bump stop rotting out or has the mounting actually failed?

The leaning in will be the trailing arm bearings, of which I changed one of mine with the subframe still in situ.
How bad is the spring mounting corrosion? Is it just the bump stop rotting out or has the mounting actually failed?

Oh so the trailing arm bearings can be replaced ? Is this something I can do myself ? Garages seem disinterested in resolving the issue. The spring mounting looks like its the bump stop mounting . I cant see the mounting has actually failed but seems again I cant get a specific answer from the garage .

Have a look at this thread. Lots of photos which makes life simpler. @Oletimer is also still on here from time to time so he may well chip in.

https://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/461747-well-its-time-again-rear-trailing-bearings.html

That is about as bad as it gets. Mine were much, much easier than that:

https://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/306049-lets-get-party-started-3.html?p=4371774

I did mine with the subframe off. If I had to do it again, I would do the same but that's not the view of everyone here.

I think whether or not you have a hard time getting the swingarm bolts out depends largely on how far gone are the old bearings, or how far they were gone when the last person replaced them. If the bearing go to the point where rear wheel camber is very noticeable, then the rubber bearing seals will probably have been breached, letting water in all around the bearings and seats. Then corrosion takes a hold. Then you've got a pig of a job to drift the bolts out. Mine had no noticeable negative camber - I just replaced the bearings as part of a general rebuild - and the bolts popped out with little more than a few taps.

Thanks.. the photos help a bit . the risk of something going wrong which I then couldnt deal with is still putting me off attempting this myself. Also negative camber on offside wheel is pronounced. I'll see if I can get a garage to attempt this

crawled underneath the rear offside this evening to confirm and have a better look at where the corrosion is. it looks to me like its the dome the bump stop sits on has completely gone. the coil spring mounting seems to be much thicker and other than surface corrosion looks ok to me. Is the bump stop mount an MOT fail? Is this easy to replace or repair ?

Hello mate, may I ask where you are? I live in Wolves and was thinking maybe a second opinion wouldn't go amiss.
If you're not very mechanical it can look daunting but don't let that put off. There is help available, you really only need to ask. I'm sure there's a knight in greasy overall's not far from you.
All the best,
George

Hi and thank you so much for the support. I am quite a way from you based in Watford Hertfordshire. Would be great to get a more qualified opinion. Only issue I have now is the car has not MOT so I cant really move it .

Can anyone tell me if the rear subframe for the 1.6 petrol and the Diesel are basically the same. I calked my local dealer intrigued to see how much it was for a new one and nearly keeled over when he quoted 1300 quid + VAT. I took the part number and have found both models share the same part number on the Mk 2. I'm presuming then that they must be the same ? Am i correct befire i order. Thanks .

19674 KIT Repair Kit, wheel suspension
From autodoc about £30 for repair part. Randomly selected. 6 working days, I knew it was coming up.
Ended up fitting quickly last weekend to mk2. Mobile mechanic pal fitted in about 3 hours.
Subframe not removed. ABS sensor disconnected from plug in plastic trim in cill under rear passenger door.
I was away and did not see the work.
I did other side a while back and needed to carefully use angle grinder to cut off. Took me a lot longer.

Can anyone tell me if the rear subframe for the 1.6 petrol and the Diesel are basically the same. I calked my local dealer intrigued to see how much it was for a new one and nearly keeled over when he quoted 1300 quid + VAT. I took the part number and have found both models share the same part number on the Mk 2. I'm presuming then that they must be the same ? Am i correct befire i order. Thanks .
Yes they are the same .
How Much is the used part?

Howdy everyone:

Got to thinking about some of the posts on our forum, and came to the conclusion that one thing gets my goat more than anything else and that is when someone seeks advice from our forum members and NEVER come back to say how it went and whether the job was successful.

Does it really hurt to be magnanimous?

Ok, I'm having a moan, but does it hurt so much to say " Hey chaps, thanks for helping me sort out the problem when my gigglin pin wasn't megatating with my laffin shaft - or similar (y)

Rant over - where's me tablets? :D

George

Back