General Multipla Insurance

Currently reading:
General Multipla Insurance

MultiPa

Are people generally paying a lot for insurance of their bus?

I always think my insurance is expensive, and I never understand why. I have been driving almost 20 years, have never made a claim, but officially have 10 years no claims, have a clean licence (only ever had 3 points, for doing 90mph on the motorway) live in a nice bit of a small-ish city, and I drive a 10 year old Multipla. My wife has been driving 10 years, had had two small claims, but both were over 5 years ago. And yet insurance on both cars (other is a 13 year old Mondeo) is the thick end of £500 each.

I was talking to someone at the weekend who lives in London, uses her car for work, has only been driving three years, and last month had her car written off. She's replaced it with a 10 year old 1.6 Focus and her insurance is about the same - despite there being no second driver (so she's statistically more likely to drive tired etc.) living in the capital city, only having three years experience and having had a 50:50 blame write off in that time.

Is the Multi expensive because of the potential for 6 whiplash claims? Or do insurance companies just hate me? I do ring around and use price comparison sites, before anyone asks - but even companies like Direct Line were quoting me a grand for the Mondeo.

I've always considered my Multipla insurance to be dearer than 'normal cars'. I just put it down to the six seats and the claims potential.

I've always thought mine is cheap to insure. Full icense for 20+ years (speeding points have been and gone a couple of times), full no claims, self and wife as named drivers. 12k miles p.a., SD&P along with Class1 business use and I pay £300 a year including full roadside recovery (home breakdown, journey forwarding, accommodation etc.).

Perhaps I've been lucky.

I've got 3 points (SP30) from a couple of years ago, but full NCB and no accidents in over 10 years, also in a outer London postcode.
I'm paying £340 for self and spouse with Liverpool Victoria who have been the first motor vehicle insurance company I've stayied with for more than a year in a long while.
Very helpful company and willing to haggle to retain business, definitely worth a try.

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I should call Liverpool Victoria just to see - although my current broker (Chris Knott) have always been cheaper than anyone else.

I don't really understand why the insurance on the 'pla is only a bit less than I paid for an Alfa with 5 seats, that was more powerful, had much more torque and cost 6 times as much when at the time I had only 2 years no claims (at the time I'd not had a car for a few years), I was still (just) in my twenties, and lived in Manchester, which is apparently a bit expensive for insurance.

It seems that no matter what I drive, or how many years I have been driving without incident or accident, or where I live, my insurance is about the same.

I'd just like it to get cheap before I start getting charged more because I'm getting old!

I know how you feel. Insurance companies are a law unto themselves. We changed our 2 year old Mini Cooper, for a JTD (don't ask why it is a long story) worth less than a quarter and not exactly a sports car. The increase in premium was over £100!!! All you can do is shop around. There is no sense to some of the premiums quoted - I personally think that they are just trying it on and if some one happens to bite then they laugh all the way to the bank(n)

All true - never take the renewal quote!

Like you though, I seem to be paying a lot for insurance even though I spend hours shoppng around. I'd just love to know what it is about my profile that makes me more of a risk!

Back