Technical Multipla 1.9JTD Termostat replace

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla 1.9JTD Termostat replace

chrissansom

Hi all,

Newbie here and I need help. I'm an experienced amateur mechanic, having worked on numerous cars over the past 18 or so years.

I have to replace the thermostat on a 1.9JTD 2006 Multipla and this is a car I have never worked on before so don't know how difficult it is to do.

Has anyone had experience in this that would care to share? would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi all,

Newbie here and I need help. I'm an experienced amateur mechanic, having worked on numerous cars over the past 18 or so years.

I have to replace the thermostat on a 1.9JTD 2006 Multipla and this is a car I have never worked on before so don't know how difficult it is to do.

Has anyone had experience in this that would care to share? would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Chris.
dont bother it will not make any difference, the heaters are just bad . been there and done it to no avail..

Hi all,

Cheers,

Chris.

Is your 2006 Multipla a JTD or a Multijet 1.9? As seem to recall in 2006 things changed from a JTD engine to a Multijet engine.

If its a JTD not terribly difficult to change, just take care on removing the band clamps on the hoses and get a decent make to replace with. If its a Multijet, like I have now, then I have not ventured on that yet.

Thermostats only really fail if your engine water temperature is not heating up as the thermostatic valve has failed and is stuck open thus always going through the radiator and cooling on the cycle.

Or

Is it that the cabin temp when warm is required is not heating up, if so is the cooling water expansion tank dropping as the heater matrix maybe pin holed and thus not getting the flow of heat through ?

Thanks for the input. I need to change the thermostat as it's got issues with overheating and I was advised by a garage that the stat is to blame.

TBH, it may very well not be the cause but the garage wanted to charge me £300 for the privilege and I managed to source a thermostat on Ebay for £50 and so am going to attempt it myself.

It is a JTD (or at least I am 99.9% sure it is) so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. I've had an initial "nose" in the engine bay and it looks like it won't be too much of a headache.

Only drawback is I think I might have to flush the system. Anyone attempted this too and if so, any idea how much coolant to put back in?

Back