Technical Multipla 1.9 JTD 2001 Cam belt snapped?

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla 1.9 JTD 2001 Cam belt snapped?

MarkX

Hello forumers,

If I'm back on here you know something's amiss...

Here's the story:

Well I've been getting a machine gun rat-a-tat noise from the engine bay the last few days. Methinks it's the fanbelt/aux belt pulleys etc. again making a noise (running OK otherwise) cos' it's that time of year, something's sticking, I'll just spray some silicone lubricant on the aux belt and all will be quiet again (the crank pulley and aux belt less than a year old). Making the noise at startup and low revs - sounds like an old-fashioned petrol lawnmower, sort of. So I'm coming home from shopping, doing *0 on my local bypass (no clues what digit the * is ;-) ), great engine these cars even at 18 years old... passing thru a local village on way home, and the engine just dies. Cranks over, but otherwise dead. I call the breakdown, he takes the oil filler cap off, asks me to crank the engine over while he checks the cams, and then tells me the cam belt is snapped, because the cams are not moving. This guy knows his stuff - it's turns out he worked as a car mechanic for years - telling me that if the valve system is non-interference it will just be a cam belt replacement, but if it's an interference system, it's an expensive job - head off, new valves, and potential piston damage. I don't know what interference/non-interference is, but then it dawns on me later that: non-interference is where the piston head and valves never occupy the same space, even with a snapped/faulty cam belt, and interference is where they do. So I phone my local Fiat dealer, give my car reg. and ask the question, and the answer is: "Your car is an interference system. Sorry". It's a Multipla 1.9 JTD 2001 reg btw.

Anyone had this happen with their Multi or another car?

What kind of physical damage can I expect?

How much did it cost to repair?

Is it worth repairing?

My fault that this has happened, I've had the car 6 years, and didn't think to have the cam belt replaced, I've easily done 60,000 miles on it. Didn't think.

I've had the car towed to a garage and they are going to let me know the score tomorrow.

I could be an ex-Fiat Forumer shortly.

PS. Anyone who doesn't have breakdown insurance, one breakdown and tow pays for several years breakdown insurance, particularly with an old car.

PPS. I've read this (yikes): https://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/432262-snapped-cam-belt.html

Mark

Sad news. Almost all engines are interference type these days, so if the cam belt lets go, it'll be costly.

The cheapest route is probably going to be - fit an engine from another car. At least some of the valves will be bent and they'll have damaged the valves seats/head. The pistons, at least some of them, will also have taken a whack and could even be holed. The labour cost in stripping the engine down sufficiently to fix all of that will be a fair bit more than fitting another engine.

There are plenty of JTD engines knocking about now, because so many Multiplas have gone to the breakers. A quick look on ebay will give you an idea of the going rate.

It may be cheaper still just to call it a day and buy another car. That decision will be coloured by just how attached you are to your Multipla. Sometimes the heart rules the head (but not, in this case, the cylinder head).

Best of luck with sorting out a solution.

Thx wmf. Useful info.

Not hopeful on the damage. Will inquire about cost to fit replacement engine. Probably could even get another complete Multi for not much more. If I were double-jointed I'd kick myself.

Will update when I know more...

Update: Another one bites the dust!

My dearly beloved Multipla has gone to the knackers yard. RIP 2001-2019.
Too much to repair.

I got 70 quid and a lift home in exchange. Feel like I've lost a leg/old friend. I am quite sad. :cry:

Found a £400 quid Citroen MPV today online, arranged to view, decided to have a wash and shave first - got gazumped.
On my way in the taxi the owner texted me the car had gone. Just to rub salt in the wound I kept seeing
identical cars driving around as I now *walked* about town on my two legs. I wondered what they were for.

So for the time being - unless and until I get another Fiat - I would like to thank all the Fiat forumers
for the brilliant help I have received over the last 5 years, particularly on my epic clutch renewal project.

I will keep an eye on the postings from time to time to see what is going on.

So for now, arrivederci (goodbye until we meet again).

Mark
Former Fiat Multipla 1.9 JTD owner

Attachments

• DSCF1115.JPG
    DSCF1115.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
MarkX - Sad to hear that it's the end of the line for your Multi. You'd made some titanic efforts to get it back on the road in the past, but it just wasn't to be this time around. All the best for the future and I hope you get a replacement sorted soon.

Thank you widemouthfrog. I remember you were one of the main "co-conspirators" on my clutch project and all the other stuff I've done.

PS. I am now back on 4 wheels as opposed to 2 legs! ;-)

All the best.

Mark

Back