Off Topic MultiEcuScan :) & DPF

Currently reading:
Off Topic MultiEcuScan :) & DPF

rolopolo

Established member
Just thought I'd share my joy while using Multiecuscan for the first time today

2 years of having no exterior temp display and 3 dealers saying it can't be done or hasn't got one) In 5 mins I had it turned on and working :)

Incidentally it's 11 degrees c in rugby lol

Anyhow, reason for hooking up was flashing odometer, and hunting engine on idle.

Proxy aligned the computer and the flashing ceased :)

Noticed DPF showing 85% blocked! And regen error, it wouldn't let me force regen, and the last regen was at 7000 Kms I'm now at 354000 Kms (220000 miles)

Any ideas on how to regenerate said DPF ?

I went 15 miles up and same back on m1 at 3000rpm in 4th gear and so far no hunting,

And not had chance to reconnect laptop to check for differences

Any regen help or ideas would be appreciated

Regards
Neil

By what means though mate?
I've read
Run for 30 miles non stop at over 2000rpm
Run for 40 miles non stop at over 2000rpm
Today was told to try 10 miles non stop 3000rpm in 3rd (settled for 4th so I could keep with the trucks and not cause a rolling roadblock)

The latter today seems to have cured the hunting engine for now,
It may have done the regen, will connect up laptop hopefully in the morning

Is there a set instruction on what to do on this particular engine?

Doesn't Multiecuscan have the regen instructions on the right. AFAIK forced regeneration won't work if oil degradation is too high or coolant temperature is too low. Also check the particulate filter status because with alfa and fiat in other tools 85% means 15% clogged.

With forced regen the primary catalyst can get to super high temperatures before the dpf hits 600C its a last resort really.

Next question,
Where's the mass air flow meter located? Is it in the pipe down besides air filter body?

Seems that's maybe the cause of my engine hunting on idle,

Will get back to dpf once this is sorted
Cheers for info guys, hope to get time to plug multiecuscan in on Sunday afternoon and see if my giving it a good thrashing (fawlty towers style) made a difference to the clogged percentage lol

Neil. The MAF is in the pipe beside the air filter, it has a 4 pin plug attached. I can't help with the dpf sorry.

Mike.

Cheers mike,
Thought it must be, without taking bits off it looked down there :)
She's not under warranty now, so it's time for baffoon hands here to get dirty (and probably break something)

If the maf isn't reading correctly it won't regen likewise if any other peramiters aren't met it will prevent it aswell

Oh also don't force regen in your drive unless you hate your neighbours and like soot and melted tarmac :D

I think the oil is also stopping a regen as its approx 60% used, sure it mentioned about oil life,

Good tip mate, will do it in the street further annoy all the neighbours:)

No one likes a big filthy white courier van, living in there street haha haha

Will see how we go once part arrives, will change air & fuel filters too, may do an oil drop if I've the time

Cheers
For help guys

Ok, I'm a dick!

It's not the engine hunting!

(Also garage miss diagnosed with his machine)

It's the rad cooling fan motor that's clearly worn out, each time it kicks in, the grumbling wobbly motor gives the sensation it's the engine hunting

Operation cooling fan will commence very soon

Ok, I'm a dick!

It's not the engine hunting!

(Also garage miss diagnosed with his machine)

It's the rad cooling fan motor that's clearly worn out, each time it kicks in, the grumbling wobbly motor gives the sensation it's the engine hunting

Operation cooling fan will commence very soon

Ah ha ! That could be the cause of regen problems :)

Was sat waiting to deliver this morning, started cleaning windows, then whilst outside I thought, oh! I can here a noise, but revs stayed the same, but when inside it feels like engine drops a tad as the grumbling noise starts, stick head under bonnet with torch and there it is, one of the cooling fans kicking in then stopping a few seconds later,
A technician, a code reader, my laptop with multiecuscan, all missed it lol,
But it did say dpf 84%
And technician mentioned air flow meter,
So, she's getting an air flow meter anyway, going to do an early service, when the fan motor is sorted :)

Bloody vans!
I need an office job instead of white van man!

Was sat waiting to deliver this morning, started cleaning windows, then whilst outside I thought, oh! I can here a noise, but revs stayed the same, but when inside it feels like engine drops a tad as the grumbling noise starts, stick head under bonnet with torch and there it is, one of the cooling fans kicking in then stopping a few seconds later,
A technician, a code reader, my laptop with multiecuscan, all missed it lol,
But it did say dpf 84%
And technician mentioned air flow meter,
So, she's getting an air flow meter anyway, going to do an early service, when the fan motor is sorted :)

Bloody vans!
I need an office job instead of white van man!

Out of curiosity what was the reason you are changing the maf ? Egr flow probs can often give maf faults

Cheers for that Mike, 2 reasons, A, the garage tech's diag box showed an issue, he cleared all codes.
And the believed hesitation he said could be that or injectors, so I've one on order, cheaper fix if it solves than seized in injectors!

B, had throttle valve changed a few week back, which was clogged up a bit, but seen worse, and as she's done 220000 miles it won't do any harm if there is an issue with MAF it its replaced,

C, it's the bloody cooling fans ! Lol so she's still getting a new MAF fitted.

D, note to self, stick head under bonnet and listen and look before ordering on someone else's say so

Don't take this the wrong way but did this technitian actually test the maf

As in take it off and test, no,
I was off on another job,
End of day, it's not failed as we now know, but was giving out a a not good reading on his box of tricks, so I will most prob fit it, keep old one and clean as a spare, at least I know fingers crossed that part will be good for another 200,000 miles :)
(One can dream)

Merc or vw next time, 3 year no quibble warranty and loan vans, worth the extra outlay

Back