MPG on the HGT

Currently reading:
MPG on the HGT

R

Richard

Hi, just got myself a Bravo HGT 155 on a W plate after toying with the idea of getting one for years.

I've gone from a Leon TDi so admittedly I'm biased. But what kind of mpg can I expect from the Bravo. I drove it back on a 100 mile motorway journey sitting between 70-80mph and got through £20 - which equates to 30mpg.

Is this normal on a long run? The book figure is somewhere around the late 30's.

Any feedback welcome

Thats about right mate for a 100 mile run on the motorway doing 70-80

Well Ive never been over 70mph in our HGT but Kate gets 30mpg average for all types of driving.

I get about 12mpg but I dont change gear until 7000rpm (once warm) :)

We must get about 35+ mpg on along run.

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

Richard

Congratulations!

I have been a 155 HGT (and Coupe 20v Turbo) owner since 2002. My experience is as follows -

30 MPG as an average (over mixed journeys) is about right. So it should average MID TO HIGH 30's on a motorway run. I suspect that you have only managed 30 MPG because you were pushing it above 4000 RPM for much of the journey. (It can't be helped)..!

That engine revs very high in 5th gear, so 70mph (circa 3700 RPM) is really its comfort zone for respectable fuel economy.

'Will power' pays off in the HGT, generally. Unfortunately, the engine only comes alive above 3750 RPM (ish), so there is the dilema.

The Coupe Turbo (essentially a turbocharged version of the same engine) is - ironically - more fuel efficient in everyday use, because (thanks to the turbo) it has usable power (torque) at lower revs. The later versions also have the benefit of a sixth (longer ratio) gear.

Which 155 HGT did you go for? Is it one of the cars currently for sale on Autotrader, Pistonheads or eBay? I have seen a few nice ones recently.

HGT

Hi, thanks for the info. Got it off ebay, only bid half heartedly as I didnt think I'd win it. But there you go! Anyways, its great for pottering back to work, you're right about the gear ratio though, i'm in 5th by 40mph! It desperately needs a 6th gear.

If I'm being brutally honest, I love the looks, and the drive of it, and the sound of the engine. But I cant get on with the seats, they arent the comfiest on longer journeys, which is a shame.