General MPG and range

Currently reading:
General MPG and range

babbo_umbro

Established member
I've recently swapped my Panda 4x4 TwinAir for a 500X 4x4 with 2-litre MJ engine. We're hoping to drive down to our Italian home in the near future and it would help plan the trip to have an idea of motorway fuel consumption and the likely range, with a reasonable margin as there stretches in France with no filling station for tens of miles.

I dunno.. but I'd expect you'd get at least 55mpg if you're on the motorway at UK speeds.

I can only ever travel for 2 hours with needing a refreshments/sandwich/karzi stop.. so that's about every 120 - 150 miles. Every second stop needs to be longer, so I combine it with a benzina-break... get fuelled up again as part of the stop.

In France, I try to find one of those "aires" on the motorway, for the odd-number stops.. they're like a services without petrol or shops (or much of anything) since they're less busy and you can have your cuppa / tinkle in peaceful surroundings. The even-number stops need to be at a proper/full services.

So.. you don't need to worry about fuel, since you'll be filling up every 240-300 miles which your car will do easily.

Ralf S.

Thanks for the helpful response - we tend to stop a little more frequently - every hour and a half but it would be useful to know the range just in case of "Do we stop now or press on?" in one of those French gaps. Also the proce of fuel differs from country to country - hence all those Dutch filling up to the last drop in Luxembourg. We've normally gone Belgium/Luxembourg/France but have just gone via Reims recently, missing out the appalling drivers in Luxembourg.

The Panda did the trip from Devon to Umbria fourteen times so it will be interesting to see how the 500X compares.

Italy, north / dolomites is our annual (pre covid) destination in our 500X 1.4 Mulitiair and towing a 1000kg streamlined caravan.

Our usual route is Calais, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Brenner Pass, Italy, then Dolomites.

We have also done (not in our 500X) the Portsmouth, Spain (Santender), South France into italy an then punched north.

For the Southampton / Calais / Belgium / Germany / Italy (Bolzano and beyond) I have detailed mileage and fuel fill-up and cost info for a 500X 1.4 MultiAir with 1000kg caravan in tow.

I strongly suspect a 2L Multijet Diesel will fare better a little better than a 1.4 MultiAir (but not by much) so as we are/were towing a 1000kg caravan our data will be worse that what you can expect.

I came so close to buying the same thing a year ago, but was put off by the reported mpg being more like 35 than 50, so I will be very interested to find out what the truth is. Be prepared for the worst and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. I think the one I was looking at was also automatic and maybe that was the real issue with fuel usage.

I get around 35mpg from my 1.4 multiair petrol AWD automatic on a run (30 around town) so if the diesel isn't getting substantially more there's a problem. My understanding is that the diesel is good for 40mpg+ in the real world

Hi, my daily commute is 136 miles round trip, in a 2.0 MJ auto. I am averaging 47mpg cruising at 70mph, though cold weather reduces this slightly. Reducing to 60mph reduces consumption to approximately 50 mpg. The car is a 2017 9 speed auto. Hope this helps.

Hi, my daily commute is 136 miles round trip, in a 2.0 MJ auto. I am averaging 47mpg cruising at 70mph, though cold weather reduces this slightly. Reducing to 60mph reduces consumption to approximately 50 mpg. The car is a 2017 9 speed auto. Hope this helps.

I have same model, and even though i dont drive high miles most of my miles are long distance motorway.

Ferienflieger is about where I am, but in my case we're loaded with driver +2 and maybe 50kg of luggage, and I normally drive in the high 70's mph (on the clock) when I can.

One observation is recently I drove circa 180 miles mway (ave about 45/46mpg on the trip computer), and then almost equal amount of mixed driving...total 349 miles. After this the trip mpg stated 42.9mpg. However I was running a brim to brim test on fuel and I calculated via this that the actual mpg was 45.8mpg (349 miles from 34.62 litres), so in fact the trip was 2.9mpg less than actual.

So overall my guess is 400 miles at around 45mpg is prudently realistic off a tank for your drive. At this rate you should have used circa 40/41 litres and although by this stage all the dots from the fuel gauge will have gone and the low fuel light is on, the tank is 48 litres so you'd have enough range for another 50 miles or so.

Digressing. I tried to make my car quieter over the summer so used some dodomat in the boot (and hatch) and under the bonnet, all double layered, It's quietened down a little but I would have liked to apply it elsewhere but im frightened of breaking fasteners etc.

I've recently swapped my Panda 4x4 TwinAir for a 500X 4x4 with 2-litre MJ engine. We're hoping to drive down to our Italian home in the near future and it would help plan the trip to have an idea of motorway fuel consumption and the likely range, with a reasonable margin as there stretches in France with no filling station for tens of miles.

Mine is the 6 speed manual 2.0 Diesel 4x4. My combined cycle always in the range of 50-53mpg. When just on the motorway with cruise engaged on speed limit, typically towards 57- 60mpg, but never over.

Last edited:
Back