Technical MOT-Things to look for?

Currently reading:
Technical MOT-Things to look for?

Mot

She passed!!!

Although it didnt pass the emissions test on the 'easy-pass' - had to do the 'normal' test.... and he found a slightly worn bush on the read - said it moved more than the otherside, he reckoned this may link to the creaking i've been having.

So i'm having a new bush fitted in the next few weeks - wait til the next paycheck!!

Anyone had experience of worn bushes and noises!?

Re: Mot

Common thing with rear bushes seems to be main dealers telling customers that worn bushes means having to have an entire new rear subfrmae/axle fitted, which is untrue. Many members here have found the bushes on eBay and other internet sites and saved themselves literally hundreds of pounds (I recall hearng someone was quoted £900 for the new rear frame/axle alone, without VAT or labour).

There are other things that could cause knocking. I had a really annoying knocking on mine, that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car, but it stopped when I changed my anti-roll bar linkages on the front struts. You can find more info on this procedure and other causes of knocking here.

Re: Mot

Its not a dealer, its a friend and he's not going to rip me off, so i'm not worried..

Its not really a knocking, more a creak, and it disapears in the rain.

We'll see how much the bush is going to be and see if that works.

Cheers

Passing an MOT

Hey guys,

was wondering if you could help me with a couple of queries, mot is due next week, the cars hit 53,000miles and working purposes have meant ive done an additional 20,000 miles since purchased exactly one year ago.

I have a constant airbag failure light on. I took it into Fiat in February early this year to have a diagnostic and they seemed to have got rid of it only for it to appear again a month later and its constantly been on. To be honest im not sure if I take it to Fiat again they will totally get rid of the problem and get me to shed out more to repair it.

I have got a bit of condensation in my front passenger light. While the lights are bright enough and visibly very good when driving at night (even down some dark oxfordshire country lanes) it is evident.

The door fitting plastic on the drivers side has come loose and while still attached securely, needs to sufficiently be bolted on tight.

So what I am trying to find out is with these points in mind, the car is in good condition throughout with all the other features in good nick. So would I be ok to pass or is it down to fail?

Thanks

Re: Passing an MOT

Hey guys,

was wondering if you could help me with a couple of queries, mot is due next week, the cars hit 53,000miles and working purposes have meant ive done an additional 20,000 miles since purchased exactly one year ago.

I have a constant airbag failure light on. I took it into Fiat in February early this year to have a diagnostic and they seemed to have got rid of it only for it to appear again a month later and its constantly been on. To be honest im not sure if I take it to Fiat again they will totally get rid of the problem and get me to shed out more to repair it.

I have got a bit of condensation in my front passenger light. While the lights are bright enough and visibly very good when driving at night (even down some dark oxfordshire country lanes) it is evident.

The door fitting plastic on the drivers side has come loose and while still attached securely, needs to sufficiently be bolted on tight.

So what I am trying to find out is with these points in mind, the car is in good condition throughout with all the other features in good nick. So would I be ok to pass or is it down to fail?

Thanks

you wont fail for airbag light.. as for the passenger light i would say take the bulb out and get a hairdryer on it.(.lamp lense that is) that usually shifts it.. but i knw how much of a pain bulbs are to get out!!

I would ask them what they did to get rid of the airbag light ..being a dealer they should know that there is a modification to the wiring now to get rid of this fault so they shouldnt be jiggling wires and deleting the fault off the ECU .the problem should be solved with the new solution ..some people just cant be bothered and that really makes me :mad:

I would ask them what they did to get rid of the airbag light ..being a dealer they should know that there is a modification to the wiring now to get rid of this fault so they shouldnt be jiggling wires and deleting the fault off the ECU .the problem should be solved with the new solution ..some people just cant be bothered and that really makes me :mad:

Take it back & get them to sort it correctly (assuming fault is the same as previously)....if they are having problems sorting it give them this address;

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-technical/ ;)

-I have a constant airbag failure light on.
-I have got a bit of condensation in my front passenger light.
-The door fitting plastic on the drivers side has come loose.

Thanks

Airbag isn't tested as part of MOT, as long as there is a correct beam pattern and light output is good then headlight is probably ok. Plastic trim wouldn't be a problem unless it sticks out far enough to injure a pedestrian.

Check out www.motester.co.uk for more info.

you wont fail for airbag light.. as for the passenger light i would say take the bulb out and get a hairdryer on it.(.lamp lense that is) that usually shifts it.. but i knw how much of a pain bulbs are to get out!!

Thanks Steely and to all others for your input, booked in for later on today, I will report back with the results :D

Just a question, supposing I want to eradicate this headlamp condensation once and for all without visiting fiat and coughing up more money as the condensation has been there for some time now, how would I remove the lamp lense to get to it.

The drivers side has adequate space to get to the lamp and I even changed a bulb in there with ease, but the passenger side is way too close to the battery and even getting a screwdriver in there can be an issue.

All responses appreciated as usual. I cant fault the car and its engine as of yet but its just the niggly bits that keep cropping up and reoccurring and being a student again visiting Fiat usually means taking loans out. :bang:

Just a question, supposing I want to eradicate this headlamp condensation once and for all without visiting fiat and coughing up more money as the condensation has been there for some time now, how would I remove the lamp lense to get to it.
This has come up before so you might want to try Search. The easy way is to just leave the cover off and wait for it to dry out before re-sealing again but you've chosen a bad time of the year to do that now :(

If there's a leak in the lamp assembly itself (i.e it's got water in it) then it's really a new headlight job.

I thought I would update everyone.

Everything was ok and it would have passed EXCEPT for the nearside and offside suspension arms where the bush had gone. The MOT Tester goes that I would hear a strange knocking noise as I go over bumps, not that ive noticed with the music/radio being loud in my car.

Expensive job as well, quoted me £260.00 to get it done and a free re-test. Mot tester even said that everything else in the car was perfect, not that it makes a difference on the amount of cash I have shelled out on it so far.

Suppose I will have to put up with it till im no longer a student, but unless Fiat can prove me wrong, might have to give up the car sooner, as the saying goes 'Looks can be Decieving' and I primarily have to admit looks sold me this car.

I thought I would update everyone.

Everything was ok and it would have passed EXCEPT for the nearside and offside suspension arms where the bush had gone. The MOT Tester goes that I would hear a strange knocking noise as I go over bumps, not that ive noticed with the music/radio being loud in my car.

Expensive job as well, quoted me £260.00 to get it done and a free re-test. Mot tester even said that everything else in the car was perfect, not that it makes a difference on the amount of cash I have shelled out on it so far.

Suppose I will have to put up with it till im no longer a student, but unless Fiat can prove me wrong, might have to give up the car sooner, as the saying goes 'Looks can be Decieving' and I primarily have to admit looks sold me this car.

try ringing round and getting some quotes...

and try getting hold of the bushes yourself... save a few quid...

www.breakeryard.com (they also sell new parts)

im not sure myself but someone else should be able to answer this. Can the bushes be replaced with the swingarm still on the car... in other words is it possible to DIY.. is a press needed??

Hardly an horrendous amount - many Stilo owners will pay this much or more on a major service.

So what else have paid out for?

Well since ive had the car in the space of exactly a year, I have been back to have:

x2 diagnostics done for an airbag failure light that just wont go and an extra charge to reprogramme the ECU to get it to work, but the problem just comes back;

x2 coils needed replacing one by one;

a brake light switch that needed replacing due to malfunction;

a bulb change in the passenger front headlamp which I had no success in getting to;

Drivers door trim handle has a crack (opening and closing the door is putting more pressure on this) and is going to snap soon so I will have to get this sorted;

The upper glovebox right hinge has already snapped and its only a matter of time before the left hand one does, and I dont forcefully open this only using it when I need to change a CD so when it gives way it will need to be replaced;

In comparison, I had none of these problems with my other car that did alot more miles then my Stilo has done, so these problems are bordering frustration at the moment.

OK, so you've had problems but to be brutally honest I'm surprised, as a student with presumably little or no income, that you even considered a Stilo :confused:

I'm sure say a Seicento is far cheaper to buy in the 1st place and has much lower running costs than a Stilo.

In my time students would consider themselves very lucky if they had a 2CV to run around in :D

Im sure it also comes down to buying a Stilo thats been looked after! If you get one thats been serviced regularly and cared for you wont go wrong!

Tho I am envious of a student having a Stilo, I didnt have a car during my studenting years!

Back