MOT test changes

Currently reading:
MOT test changes

Having read them I fail to see the shake up..minor items = advisory notice major = fail, and they still aren't actually testing for the presence of a DPF on a diesel and will be checking by revving the car in neutral when it will be running lean.

Quite a few will fail on fitting afterternarket hid kits to lamps that can't take them
Or people who have had the dpf cut open to remove the internal filter element will also fail

Not currently a fail as it can be proven it was removed and there's nothing specific about dpf filter in the guidelines
Will be a fail if the dpf has clear sign's of being cut and rewelded unless owner can prove it was done for valid means

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-25-13-05-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-01-25-13-05-22.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Not currently a fail as it can be proven it was removed and there's nothing specific about dpf filter in the guidelines
Will be a fail if the dpf has clear sign's of being cut and rewelded unless owner can prove it was done for valid means

That's an interesting draft..

I still see no difference, owner says Yes it was blocked, it was opened to clean it then reinstated..garage says I don't beleive you can we take an angle grinder to the underside of your car please sir to prove you are a liar?

Major defect if your car exceeds the manufacturers figures. Can't see that staying in..pretty much every car for the last 15 years rendered untestable.

Unless of course they are going off unpublished figures.. which would be interesting in itself.

Also the references to on road acceleration are intriguing, does this mean a road test will be carried out or are they still pretending that revving the car stationary is the same as travelling under load?

That's an interesting draft..

I still see no difference, owner says Yes it was blocked, it was opened to clean it then reinstated..garage says I don't beleive you can we take an angle grinder to the underside of your car please sir to prove you are a liar?

Major defect if your car exceeds the manufacturers figures. Can't see that staying in..pretty much every car for the last 15 years rendered untestable.

Unless of course they are going off unpublished figures.. which would be interesting in itself.

Also the references to on road acceleration are intriguing, does this mean a road test will be carried out or are they still pretending that revving the car stationary is the same as travelling under load?
Maybe they'll all invest in expensive rolling road technology...

Or just give it a rev for a bit, then tick the box?

Or just give it a rev for a bit, then tick the box?

That's my thoughts..which is about as effective as taking the petrol emissions probe test with the engine off..

Can't escape the feeling that for all the apparent change..it'll be business as usual unless there's a change in the equipment used for testing.

This from the Daily Snail....

Motorists could be caught out by tougher MOT rules that leave them open to a £2,500 fine if their vehicle fails a test carried out before current certificate expires

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sh-drivers-open-2-500-fine.html#ixzz5BWAgPKOu

Scare mongering and inaccurate. The fine is if you continue to drive he failed car. This is because the database will be up-dated right away. It fixes the illogical old situation were they could fand a fault but you could contine to drive based on a test tht could be up to a year old. You can still drive the car home or to a garage for a pre-arranged repair appointment.
They also say "Cars running on diesel can automatically fail should any smoke emit from their exhaust, for instance." this is wrong. The check only applies to diesels with a DPF, not any diesel. Should catch those with the DPF removed though. As allways benefit of doubt goes to the owner so should be OK if the car happens to do a regeneration during the test.

Robert G8RPI.

cars that have had dpf removed wont do a regen as its would have been deleted from ecu

Hi,
I think you misread my post, or I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to a car with a DPF smoking due to it doing a regeneration before or during a MOT. Very unlikely I know. A car with a deleted DPF should fail the test even though, as you say, it won't regenerate.

Robert G8RPI.

We'll see if deleted dpf is a fail...

They've been "smoke testing" for years and yet somehow DPF and EGR delete is the done thing on an 8 year old diesel. Unless the test process or the equipment in use are changing significantly it's not exactly hugely different.

We'll see if deleted dpf is a fail...

They've been "smoke testing" for years and yet somehow DPF and EGR delete is the done thing on an 8 year old diesel. Unless the test process or the equipment in use are changing significantly it's not exactly hugely different.

The new test will fail a DPF equipped car that "emits visible smoke smoke of any colour" from the exhaust. This is in addition to meeting the opacity limit for the car. The car limit is on the VIN plate. For a 2008 Croma 1,9 16V the limit chances from 3 ti 0.24 with the new test. A car with the DPF removed is unlikey to pass this test. Time will tell.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Back