Technical Mot- No airbag light?

Currently reading:
Technical Mot- No airbag light?

russnix04

hi Just had mot but one of advisorys is " supplementry restraint system warning lamp does not illuminate" i asked what this was he said its the airbag light doesnt come on at start up.

i have the flashing orange one thats all i had since i aquaired the car and it didnt get pulled last year at same test centre with same tester. I used diagnostic cable no errors logged.

Any one any ideas where I would start to hunt this problem down as next year it will become a mot fail he tells me as well as I want a safe car.

thanks in advance

p.s if possible could someone tell me or if you have photo ;) how many lights should be displayed on ignition?

I have a punto MK2 2003 1.2 8v 5door

Its most probs got 'black tape over bulb area.
last owners Bodge perhaps. :confused:

common fault, slam glovebox door and airbag light comes on. lamp taped up to hide fault fault cleared to remove fault.?? maybe be probably more that the lamp has burnt out, I would try a different garage if the being so picky lol. my engine fault light on the punto was "on" all the time , only it wasnt as the lamp was either removed or had blown.
passed 2 mot with airbag light on, kept clearing fault and lasted a few days till i forgot and closed glovebox . didnt know could fail for warning light not working lol
:worship:

Hi mate,

All MOT testers should check that the SRS light illuminates when the key is turned to MAR (self test procedure) and at the moment it is an advisory as you have quite correctly been advised.

How long does your passenger airbag light flash for? pattern? as the length and pattern of the flashing can also indicate if the SMD for the main airbag warning light is faulty. This seems the most likely if you have connected to the airbag ECU and are getting no faults.

passed 2 mot with airbag light on, kept clearing fault and lasted a few days till i forgot and closed glovebox . didnt know could fail for warning light not working lol

In current MOT regs any warning light indicating failure or malfunction of the SRS (ie airbags etc) is a straight FAIL.

Alan

MOT rules seem to be changing every year at the moment so what happened last year or stories from people who have MOT'd their car before with similar problems are irrelevant

As suggested by a1ant the light its self has probably died and needs replacing especially if the airbag ecu is recording no errors

the regulations as of today are as follows
srs light on =fail
light covered up with black tape so mot tester can see no light=pass but advise

this was brought up 3 weeks ago at mot seminar with a site visit the following week

In current MOT regs any warning light indicating failure or malfunction of the SRS (ie airbags etc) is a straight FAIL.

Alan
Yeah i know Alan, its new to mot, just trying to lighten the mood, rules change every year as been pointed out in other posts regarding MOT, many things on the test are "less" significant than others. My take on it ( and i hope its right) is that a MOT is a sign that the vehicle is "safe" to drive on the road, ok maybe only at time and date of test but never the less, is a good rule of thumb. the only part of it i dont agree with are the strict emissions tests, but thats opening up a can of worms, just a personal one but all these "green" taxes are a con, "airline offset your carbon footprint charge" ???? if you cared about you carbon foot print you would walk everywhere, not buy anything that was not manufactured at the end of your street and never never ever go on a aeroplane :slayer:
i would be happy for MOT to be like it used to be, do brakes work ?. do lights work ?. do washers and wipers work ?. is it mechanicaly sound and not rotten ?. is it safe to drive ?. NOT is there a light on the dash, is the ozone layer being depleted cos of the car ? I feel its just a way of getting older cars off the road, yet cars of a certain age are exempt from tax and certain types of vehicle are exempt of MOT even if they blow smoke out and kill the rain forest when you nip down to tesco.
and while we are on about stupid rules - while on the subject of smoke - name the only 2 places in the country where you are allowed to smoke indoors (prison & houses of parliment) blow me the members of parliment who make up all the rules decide they are exempt ?? :devil::devil:
rant over.

Hi,

Sorry Jon didnt mean any offence by what I said, just purely stating that under the current regs its a fail.

At present, only "safety critical" warning lights are a fail such as ABS, SRS or TPMS. An EML for example is still a PASS.

At the end of the day, an airbag that fails to inflate correctly, or even inflates randomly is extremely dangerous, and as such I agree with any regs that force owners who would normally drive around ignoring the warning lights naively, to actually get them fixed.

Alan

many thanks all, still digging I decided to check errors myself but I cannot connect with the cable I got I got the elm327 obd2 firmware version 1.4. it reads rest of faults but not compatible with airbag can I buy a adapter that's compatible with airbag for this cable or can it be modded? or do I need to buy a new full cable :(

I don't even know what brand airbag I got installed its 2003 plate mk2 1.2 punto active 99-03

any one point me in right direction?

thanks again

if you have some thin wire - i think i used a mobile phone charger cable
I physically joined the pins in the Vag com with a lil bit of heat and solder :)

it works brilliantly for my airbag and engine setups :) since i dont need owt else really

Ziggy

Thanks all for your help.

do you know which pins i need to join together and dont seppose you have picture of pins do you i dont think mine are numbered

Manu thanks sorry for late reply had a busy dec! All your help much appreciated

Thanks all for your help.

do you know which pins i need to join together and dont seppose you have picture of pins do you i dont think mine are numbered

Manu thanks sorry for late reply had a busy dec! All your help much appreciated

google obd connections , loads of info about, or just buy a set of adapters much easier as they are cheap as chips lol

Back