MOT FAIL!

Currently reading:
MOT FAIL!

B

bigbravo

Hi folks had the car in for an mot today and it failed.Looking for some advice on what i'll need for my mot fail.Heres what it's failed on.
Grateful for any help.Cheers

001 Nearside rear shock absorber has negligible damping effect [2.7.5]

002 Offside rear shock absorber has negligible damping effect [2.7.5]

003 Nearside front headlamp excessively deteriorated so that the light output is severely reduced [1.7.4a]

004 OFFside front headlamp excessively damaged so that the light output is severely reduced [1.7.4a]

005 Nearside rear trailing arm synthetic bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.3]

006 Nearside rear lower shock absorber insecure [2.7.2b]

007 Offside rear lower shock absorber insecure [2.7.2b]

008 Offside front [under wing] suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded [2.4.a.2]

Some welding, 4 new shock absorbers a new headlight and dismantle/clean the other one.

Without seeing the corrosion its hard to say for certain but you might be looking at the thick end of £500 for the lot.

I think plenty of people on here have old, standard headlights for about £10er a pair, 2 rear shocks will be about £60, about £100 of welding, and a rear bushing no idea on cost.

not a bad one by all means, my mates nearly new polo had a handbrake mount snapped off the floor, even new cars can be bad!

Sig.jpg

Should get the welding done cheap enough. I used to do a mobile welding service.(going back 20 years) I probably would charge a tenner for consumables + 1 hour. Bear in mind costs have gone up since then but i should reckon £40.Might be cheaper at the garage

Hi thanks for the replys. The garage got back to me with a quote for everything being done on the car. £650 EEK! .

No way would i have thought it would cost this much to fix it.

See with regards to the rear trailing arm is this what i'll need to fix this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-PUNTO-BRAVA-REAR-TRAILING-ARM-BRAND-NEW-N-S-/300422596680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f2950848

005 Nearside rear trailing arm synthetic bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.3]

I'm really surprised the shocks have gone they've only been on a year! And replacement lights were put on it last year too!

I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible and see if i can find the parts cheaper myself and just get charged labour.

x2 rear shocks £30.75 delivered
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FIAT-BRAVA-O-TIPO-TEMPRA-PAIR-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-/280528982687?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4150d4929f

Or i might stick with the brand that were on for extra £16 quidhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Rear-Shocks-Fiat-Brava-Bravo-/390207666397?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ada3078dd

Also will as you said about the headlights would be good if i could find a cheap set in good nick.That would help keep the costs down.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If the last lot of shocks only lasted 1 year that might tell you something about their quality. Decent gas shocks will be more like £50+ each and should last around 2-3 years depending on mileage. FIAT will try to give you OE Hydralic ones which are poor. Decent shock absorbers make the car LOTS safer under braking and cornering, they do keep the rubber on the road afterall.

Hi marko it's kyb excel g shocks thats on the car and have done something like 16000 miles on them.