MOT. Dangerous

Currently reading:
MOT. Dangerous

Night35

Got my MOT done few weeks before current expired.

Recent MOT- dangerous fault. Asked can I drive this. Was a case of your MOT hasn't expired. But this part we will fit.

So never answered the question.

What's the position here?

thanks

If you get an MOT test done, and your car fails, it no longer has a valid MOT, regardless of when the previous test expired, the one you've just had supercedes it, especially if it's a fail and most especially if it's a dangerous fail.

Edit: To add, you are allowed to drive a vehicle to and from an MOT test without a valid MOT, but if stopped you will need to provide proof of the appointment or face a penalty.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q360.htm

Last edited:
If your car Still has a valid not you can't get pulled for driving a car without a Most

However you can then be prosecuted for driving a car in a unroadworthy/dangerous condition it all depends on exactly what wrong with the vehicle.e.g dangerous faults are usually a no

Last edited:
If your car had a valid MOT, then you get another test done and it fails, it no longer has a valid MOT

No it does not your previous MOT is still valid and you can still drive the vehicle if it is not in a dangerous condition
E.g if it doesn't have major safety faillings

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Only a VOSA inspector can invalidate a Mot after it has been carried out

Last edited:
There's a lot of input in this thread, but we have no idea what the 'dangerous' fault was, or what part was replaced.

If the decision was correct, that the car was in the 'dangerous' category, then the garage was probably right to insist on repairing it. But currently we are unable to comment on that.

Most people see an MOT as a necessary evil, and a failure as a disappointment. Some blame the testing garage.

I see an MOT as a benefit. No matter how good, or not, any of us are at our vehicle checks and home maintenance, having someone independent have a good look over it, following a set procedure, is a very good thing. If they find a fault, I am grateful that it has been identified, and a little guilty that I had been driving it in that condition. I am pleased that my local garage are strict, but fair on MOTs. They charge the full price, and I happily pay that too.

An aside. I wonder what happens if a government MOT centre issues a dangerous fail. They do not do repairs, but you cannot drive the car away. Do they turn a blind eye, or keep it until a recovery vehicle turns up?

There's a lot of input in this thread, but we have no idea what the 'dangerous' fault was, or what part was replaced.

If the decision was correct, that the car was in the 'dangerous' category, then the garage was probably right to insist on repairing it. But currently we are unable to comment on that.

Most people see an MOT as a necessary evil, and a failure as a disappointment. Some blame the testing garage.

I see an MOT as a benefit. No matter how good, or not, any of us are at our vehicle checks and home maintenance, having someone independent have a good look over it, following a set procedure, is a very good thing. If they find a fault, I am grateful that it has been identified, and a little guilty that I had been driving it in that condition. I am pleased that my local garage are strict, but fair on MOTs. They charge the full price, and I happily pay that too.

An aside. I wonder what happens if a government MOT centre issues a dangerous fail. They do not do repairs, but you cannot drive the car away. Do they turn a blind eye, or keep it until a recovery vehicle turns up?

Legally speaking they can not refuse to let you have the keys or let you leave

But they likely could call the police as soo as you left not that they are likely to turn up fo that

Wha has not been mentioned is that under the new "paperless" system the failure will be recorded on the database even if your "old" one is still valid. This will make it more likely that you will be stoped by the police.

Regardless of what your MOT status is if you are stopped and the car is unroadworthy you may be fined and get points. The simple example is tyres. You could have a pass at 1.7mm at the test but be under the limit a few weeks (or one burnout) later.

Robert G8RPI

Fractured axile is the issue. Which make me wonder why on asking can I still drive etc it was a case of your MOT hasn't lapsed.
From reading here it appears a hint of will show as MOT but will take a dig to discover it just failed and why In other words pulled over.

I have left it as sounds not dangerous but lethal

So I assume then this is a common thing. The rear suspension component corroded and seriously weakened axile.

I know a car that has gone for its mot test and failed.. Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i)). But on the MOT check page it still shows as MOT valid until 5 August 2021. It also had an advisory for Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii)) I am pleased to report that the said vehicle should be leaving the Hospital tomorrow with everything fixed. and of course a new MOT :)

If you have only "Major" faults (smokey/emissions etc.) and an existing MOT certificate, then you can drive the car away... but the failure will be recorded and you might get hassled by traffic police, who have ANPR these days and that can check MOT status, if you continue to drive it. If your old certificate is valid and the car meets "minimum" standards of road worthiness, then you ought to be okay.. but the rules are a bit vague, so I wouldn't chance it for long.

If you have any "Dangerous" fault then you should not drive the car. However there is no obligation to leave the car where it is, to be fixed and garages can't insist or refuse to give you your car.

Theoretically you should have the car trailered to where you want to fix it.. but it's up to you. If the garage snitches on you driving it away, then it's fair game to have its premises burnt down.. :D but you're not supposed to drive a Dengerous car, so it's at your own risk and it's an offence (£2500 fine, ban and points etc.) if you do.

If you have a flakey suspension pan etc., then you'd be really out of luck if it decides to pack up precisely in the 2 miles between the MOT station and your house rather than in the months and weeks before the MOT.. so if it was me, I'd still drive the beast home but then no more until its fixed, even though Old Bill might take a dim view of it.

Ralf S.

Should be OK to drive home (slowly) I'd have thought. But if it's got a dangerous fail on something like a spring hanger that's not something I'd fancy trying; never had it happen to me, but I owned one of these beasties, and they were also prone to failing MOTs on corroded spring hangers, which could then suddenly snap off if you hit a pothole...

2003_0123merc0008-jpg.123603

Back