Technical more power out of a 8v??

Currently reading:
Technical more power out of a 8v??

etche

hi, i was wondering how to get more power out of a 1.4 8v gp?? i considered swaping the 8v head to 16v but it seems too expensive and complicated. I also saw the "power up chips" but they destroy your car, so is there another option to get some more punch out of this engine that doesnt count this options?? (sorry for mi english)

thanks

Buy a new car, you can't polish a turd. You could spend hundreds of pounds on it for very little gains. Not to mension the vastly increased insurance and increased depresheation of the car.

but how can i gain 15 to 20 hp+?? without tearing the engine apart??

does the induction kit really work? i read somewhere that induction kits reduce filtering and increase noise with little hp gains.

and what exhaust size do you recomend? i now if it too big the engine will actually loose power!!! so will 2" or 2.5" be alright for some hp gains?

You'll never get anywhere near 15-20bhp.

5-8bhp max and that's with a GSR induction kit, rare as rocking horse sh*t.

Would also cost you £££££££££££££ to get that 5-8bhp.

inductions, are from what I've read, giving 4-5 extra hp, and I was going to get a 3" double for my grande, don't know that much about exhausts, but the resonance does play a part in it, because initially air flow, (speed of the air) does play a part, but nothing much you can do really

My dad has used k and n air filters on other cars, 1.4 16v astra, being the one I remember, didn't make it much faster gave it a few more horse power, and made it sound better

what if you put a trubo (a t2) in the 8v?? this guys are doing it:

could you just install the turbo (without changing the internal parts of the engine) and increase hps? or will the valves explode or something??

i know the compression ratio for the 1.4 8v is 11:1 and i believe that thats too much for a turbo.

(sorry if my english isnt so good, im chilean :cool: )

Hmm, I'm not too good on mechanical modding, but I can imagine that the standard parts, won't be able to cope with a turbo? I'm not sure, someone will
probably help a little more. I've told you all that I can think
of :)
Good luck!

I wanted to put a turbo on mine but as above, it really really isn't worth it on a 1.4 8v.

The only real option would be to do an engine swap, but then your car is no longer a 1.4 8v.

The sky is the limit though, forged pistons, better cams etc. But it really really is not worth the cost and cost is a big thing to me...especially when it cant be justified.

Just my opinion dude, I wanted to do the same not long back :p

EDIT: if it's just acceleration youre wanting (guessing from your question about the turbo) then maybe you could consider Nitrous Oxide? Hopefully without blowing your engine up ;)

There are some here: http://www.akamoto.co.uk/

Last edited:
No way, will any induction kit on the 1.2 8v give you 8hp gain, that’s around 13% over standard.

Yes you can gain power from the 1.2 8v, but it is not worth the effort/hassle due to the massive costs vs resale value. You could improve induction, exhaust, cams, engine work, possibly a small turbo – or sell the car and buy something faster.

Another thing to consider to make the car “feel” faster would be a gearbox rebuild for shorter gears, 3rd -5th, will limit your top speed though, but you will get there faster.

P.s – You could buy my Civic B16B engine if you want, as I want to buy a supercharged one :)

Yeah I see what he means, I did that on my bike, changed the sprockets, for acceleration, it launched like a rocket, got to 60, in 9 seconds and that was a 50cc bike, race tuned, a lot of mods on it :)
That probably would help,:)

Back