General more power for a pandora

Currently reading:
General more power for a pandora

The engineering aspects don't phase me and i'm having to replace the rear arches and wheel wells anyway.
My concern would be getting one through an Sva test (or whatever they're calling them these days)

You'll absolutely loose the MOT exemption and probably the tax as well not to mention completely killing the character of the van.

I've heard of the 850 box taking 200hp in race applications so if you're prepared to chop out the bulkhead and have a little sticking out the rear the honda d series goes all the way to to a 1700cc vtec, up to 200hp

I suspect thats likely to kill more than the character of the van though.

The engineering aspects don't phase me and i'm having to replace the rear arches and wheel wells anyway.
My concern would be getting one through an Sva test (or whatever they're calling them these days)

You'll absolutely loose the MOT exemption and probably the tax as well not to mention completely killing the character of the van.
So true.

One alternative that the Smartcar brigade seem to do quite a bit is to use a motorbike engine swap. The units tend to be small and punchy and if the 850/900 transaxle can take 90+ bhp it could be a viable option.

I have looked into bmws and honda bike engines.
The issues are the combined engine gearbox drives and, as ever cooling.
Most bike engines are designed to be flapping in the breeze for cooling.
They also make their peak power at different rpm to car engines.

I used to do a lot with kit cars and they always used to say that a bike engined car is about as driveable on the road as a car engined bike.

Twin air would seem perfect.
However they have just as much sticking out over the gearbox as the fire.

I've heard bad stories of reliability and despite its award winning start in life fiat were pretty quick to drop it after a fairly short life span.

And it would require a vw gearbox.

Most modern engine layout s are pretty wide due to the traverse layout.
They have the space in that direction and they use it.

I never knew the renaults were mounted that way.

The layout is right for a 900 but it looks like the water pump sits over the bell housing, so even these would need bulkhead modifications and a change of transmission.
Changing the transaxle is doable but the custom drive shafts will be pricey.
Not to mention you still have a rare engine with similar power output.

The toyota iq has a traverse layout but the driveshafts are in front of the engine, so in theory it would sit in the engine bay but would require some fairly serious driveshafts as the 900 rear arms massively restrict what will fit in there.
It's also notorious for having a complex electrical system.

Yes I agree, the renault engine is just as scarce and prob not worth the effort for probably minimal gain. Mine is a camper, so the interior is not sacrificial otherwise I would be going mid mounted, but I want a classic van, not a 1/4 mile monster.

Back