Technical Mood selector

Currently reading:
Technical Mood selector

My 2015 500x has the typical mood selector (sport, auto, all weather). 90% of the time its set to auto, and the other 10% in sport. I tried using all weather mode but it seemed like a gimmick, it didn't appear to do anything.

Anyway, I wanted to know what happens with the newer models that don't come with the selector, do they drive as if they are in auto mode? something in-between auto and sport? something else entirely?

Thanks

I have a 1.3 DCT and it has a sport mode (it's a button beside the USB ports), so it will be in the equivalent of auto mode when that's not selected.

My 500X Cross 2015 has Sport, Auto and Traction. In traction mode the ABS operates like a limited slip diff and regulates the torque delivered to the front wheels. In this mode the throttle pedal is very very 'soft' requiring large travel to get the engine to rev. When a wheel begins to slip then the ABS system applies some braking to that wheel and thus transferring torque to the other. The dashboard shows a how much is being delivered to each wheel.

The funny thing (wasn't at the time) was when i went for a drive in the new forest and pulled over to the side I didn't know I had put my front NS wheel into a soft boggy rut. Went to pull away and nothing! Thought like a smart arse "no problem I'll engage Traction mode"! Oooops nothing. Wheel, not attempt by ABS to regulate. Had to get pulled out my a Forestry *FORD* truck.

When I got home I was completely perplex by what what not happening so I jacked up one wheel on my 1:10 sloping drive so that it would slip. Nothing!

Went to Fiat dealer and there were some updates that were routinely applied to the car one of which was for the ABS system. No mention of what the update did. A year later when we had a little snow the traction system was working.

Talking of Sort and Auto I'm almost always in Sport mode. I would use Auto more but for me it is just a little to fluffy/soft on the initial throttle pedal travel. The advantage of Auto Mode is the ASC function operates quite well. I did extensive testing of this and in the wet (safely) and could get the ASC system to kick in. The same testing in Sport Mode no matter how hard I tried I could not get ASC to kick in. Fiat technical told me that ASC is active in Sport Mode but requires much higher out of control conditions to kick in. My view is that I would certainly not want to be in the car if/when ASC was to kick in as the car would we well out of control and I have extensive experience of performance wet driving on race circuits.

So for me ASC is OFF in Sport Mode :)

When I had my 2015 1.4 Lounge, I found the Auto setting to be rather unresponsive, and Sport made the throttle a bit too sensitive and the steering artificially heavy. For me, All Weather mode gave the best throttle mapping and steering feel.
Interestingly, during some warranty work I was loaned a 124 Spider, which had the same engine but no selectable drive modes, and it was perfect!

Back